C55 AMG Engine lower sump pan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingLang

Car
A220 CDI daily and C55 AMG toy
Hi guys

Newbie to the club here, hoping i can get some help.

Bought a 2005 W203 c55 AMG which has had a front end accident, and consiquently has cracked the lower sump. Went to a Mercedes Dealer and they are telling me Mercedes no longer make the sump for that model???

My question is would a lower sump from an SL55 AMG fit onto my engine? Also is anyone on here breaking a C55 that i would be able to buy the sump pan from?

Thanks
Adam

Hello and welcome

Buying a C55 with front end damage is a bit of a minefield I am afraid as this is one of the main bits of the car that is very different from a standard 203 C class. The entire front end is a mixture of stuff from CLK , longer wings, different grille , headlamps . 80mm circular foglamps , almost impossible to find (used in good condition) front bumper.

The engine was never meant to fit in a C class 203 so the had to lengthen the front end by about 4 cm . The M113 engine would just about fit but the bonnet wouldn't close so the fitted a saddle sump which allowed them to drop the engine low enough to close the bonnet.

I think you are correct in thinking that the M113 in the SL has the same saddle sump but the chances of finding just the sump here in the UK is slim.

How bad is it ? have you had it apart and checked that the oil pump is not damaged , it is right there at the very bottom front of the engine . Can the sump be removed and welded ? It's not an engine out job .

I have had my C55 for some years now and would be happy to help where I can . My first bit of advice would be to stay away from main MB dealers for stuff like this , I hear there is one M113 saddle sump engine in stock in Germany , yours for 35K Euro ! :eek: it will collect dust as there are a fair few used M113 engines out there. But be aware the AMG versions are internally different .

What else has been damaged ?

Hello and welcome

Buying a C55 with front end damage is a bit of a minefield I am afraid as this is one of the main bits of the car that is very different from a standard 203 C class. The entire front end is a mixture of stuff from CLK , longer wings, different grille , headlamps . 80mm circular foglamps , almost impossible to find (used in good condition) front bumper.

The engine was never meant to fit in a C class 203 so the had to lengthen the front end by about 4 cm . The M113 engine would just about fit but the bonnet wouldn't close so the fitted a saddle sump which allowed them to drop the engine low enough to close the bonnet.

I think you are correct in thinking that the M113 in the SL has the same saddle sump but the chances of finding just the sump here in the UK is slim.

How bad is it ? have you had it apart and checked that the oil pump is not damaged , it is right there at the very bottom front of the engine . Can the sump be removed and welded ? It's not an engine out job .

I have had my C55 for some years now and would be happy to help where I can . My first bit of advice would be to stay away from main MB dealers for stuff like this , I hear there is one M113 saddle sump engine in stock in Germany , yours for 35K Euro ! :eek: it will collect dust as there are a fair few used M113 engines out there. But be aware the AMG versions are internally different .

What else has been damaged ?
Hello Pete

I already know about the frankenstein C55 front end lol, so far everything has been easyish to source used.

Ahh ok so the Sump pan on the C55 was designed to lower the engine down enough to fit, i never knew this, so I'm hoping that an SL55 AMG sump may fit *crosses fingers*

The damage is as follows:

Front Bumper
Radiator
Condenser
Radiator fan
Air con compressor (Pulley smashed)
Front subframe cracked
Lower sump dripping (assuming its cracked)
Various coolant hoses, transmission pipes and air con pipes damaged

I'm really hoping that the oil pump is not damaged, but I wont know that for sure until the engine is out and the sump is off. I'm removing the engine to replace the front subframe.

Thank you for your Response

Do the engine mounts while it is out and the CPS (unless you know it was replaced recently) it is a complete pig to do engine in and is cheap. If you are having the engine out and the sump off replace the rock hard o rings in the oil take up pipe , when they fail you get no warning , the engine destroys itself (no oil pressure monitoring on this car) It's rare but happens , no brainer to do it if the engine is out and sump off. Don't forget there is a 'sump spacer' between the block and the sump It might have cracked there too.

I was Definitely going to do the CPS whilst the engines out, didn't think about the O-rings on the oil take up pipe, sounds like a good idea given my car is on 215k!

Ill have a look once the engine is out and i can get the sump off :)

You can see how close the pump drive is to the front edge of the sump. not the best photo , I have more somewhere.

Pump drive - Copy.JPG

You might like to search around on here for this ^^ a few of us have done it or had it done ,another rare fault but becoming more prevalent as they get older . better with the engine out. How many miles on your engine ?

Will definitely have a look when the engine is out, Engine is on 215,000miles but full MB dealer history.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

More of this online , the blow up is normally related to hard track use but Mb have changed the material the ring is made from since , so they are 'aware' , and its so easy to do with the engine out .

All worth a look.

More of this online , the blow up is normally related to hard track use but Mb have changed the material the ring is made from since , so they are 'aware' , and its so easy to do with the engine out .

All worth a look.
Petrol Pete, Absolutely fantastic support and advice to a new member, if I wore a hat, it would be off to you right now.

Good Morning Pete

So i spent the weekend stripping the front subframe and lower sump pan off the car, the sump pan has a small hairline crack in it so will get that repaired.

I removed the oil pump and found that o-ring was indeed starting to go hard, so i have ordered all the seal in those videos you attached.

If anyone know of any primary cats for sale for this please let me know, I'm after them.

Thank you so much for your advice Pete.

King

Don't forget to replace the rubber seal where the dipstick tube goes into the engine . It is almost impossible to remove the dipstick tube to replace the seal with the engine in .

Primary cats ? As you can see they come as one with the pipe and secondary cat for each side (10 and 20) Not sure how you are going to find 2 of them . I take it yours were removed at some point in the cars life ?

1624265962689.png

Hi Pete

Yeah I have the engine still in the car but have both parts of the sump off so could replace the dipstick tube seal, I did have a look at it and found it seemed supple and not hard so thought I might leave it alone.

So when I bought the car, the complete exhaust bar the manifolds were missing/stolen/robbed, I have managed to obtain the complete rear section (both back boxes) but am struggling with the cats, I don't really want to spend £3k plus for brand new merc ones so was wondering how I could get around it?

Adam

PS. My mechanic friend swears by this 'metal to metal' sump sealant from GM/Opel, he uses nothing else. I saw no reason to doubt him so I used it . Worked fine and more than enough in this container to do the job twice over (hope you don't have to do it twice obviously ! :p ) . Rubbish photo not showing the part number but any Vauxhall dealer will find it for you..

It's made in Germany so probably the same stuff MB use , just in a different tube

sealant.JPG

Hi Pete

Thanks for the recommendation, ill pop into my Vauxhall dealer later and get some, I've removed my sump and found a small crack so ill repair that and keep it as a spare as i found a replacement one :)

Now just to source some Catalytic converters, the cowboys i purchased the car from have removed them (probably to line their pockets)

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom