C55 AMG estate incoming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
On its way in 6 weeks....from Japan.... I’ve got a low mileage 2005 C55 estate arriving.

Will be my second C55 and my third AMG. However, I’ve got a shopping list of problems to figure out before it arrives.
Namely;
Sorting the Comand out (e.g replacement of the Japanese only unit with an EU one, or something aftermarket at a relatively palatable price).
Installing a rear foglight (replacing the rear cluster with one from a breakers? Plus the fog light switch?)
Convert speedo to mph.
Source a front number plate plinth.
Work out how to pick it up from Bristol docs and where to send it for the above and its MOT.
If anyone has imported from Japan and has any pointers (aside from telling me I’m mad) then advice gratefully received!

I have imported from Japan and it is tricky.. I haven't ever imported a Mercedes only JDM cars. The speedo is often a problem if its km only as they will carry over the existing odometer km to miles and its hard to explain to a purchaser. Although most imports are notorious for having the mileage shaved at the other end anyway. I don't know about Merc but some manufacturers definitely go out of their way to make importing difficult.
Other parts would definitely be ebay or a breakers but obviously only easy ish if the wiring loom is compatible. I know for the GTR the infotainment was, almost certainly, designed to be hard to swap and prohibitively expensive in the early days.

Tricky? You’re not wrong. Well at least in terms of sorting out the infotainment. I’ve spoken to Comand online and it is going to be eye wateringly expensive to get anything that will work, as the car will need to be totally rewired apparently. I can’t just buy a used Comand unit the wiring in the car is totally different; and aftermarket units would also need the car to be rewired it seems.
Eek.

I am SO glad you have posted. I was poking around looking for another C55 wagon and came across a Japanese import , it was struck off my list for being white (yuk) and had tasteless wooden trim instead of the alloy. But the thing that struck me most other than everything you list in your post is that (if an estate) the rear number plate dwell in the tailgate would need to be removed and replaced (and presumably re-sprayed) to accommodate a UK number plate, I saw the same problem with a Japanese import C32 which looked it would have to have the whole boot lid replaced to get the same result.

If buying a C55 estate to hide it away and one day 'cash in' on its rarity (which you may not be doing) might one day deliver a result, but not if it's a Jap import that has been messed with. If on the other hand a C55 is bought over from Japan to blast around the UK in then fair enough. but it will never be an appreciating asset. Let us know how you get on :thumb:

Think outside the box...

I had a Z4 Coupe before the C63 and I saw someone install a sound system in the centre console completely unlinked to the car. If you get a decent head unit and give it some power you could even get it working with the factory speakers.

I have imported from Japan and it is tricky.. I haven't ever imported a Mercedes only JDM cars. The speedo is often a problem if its km only as they will carry over the existing odometer km to miles and its hard to explain to a purchaser. Although most imports are notorious for having the mileage shaved at the other end anyway. I don't know about Merc but some manufacturers definitely go out of their way to make importing difficult.
Other parts would definitely be ebay or a breakers but obviously only easy ish if the wiring loom is compatible. I know for the GTR the infotainment was, almost certainly, designed to be hard to swap and prohibitively expensive in the early days.
Finding a C55 estate that is being broken in a scrapyard would source the MPH instrument cluster, command (if Not fitted with audio 20), the light cluster,wiring and switchgear for the rear fog lamp, the correct front bumper mounting for number plate (that should be easy actually as jap plate is smaller) and - if not rear end smashed - the correct tailgate number plate recess.

I think most of the breakers yard I have been in recently are run by people who have trouble deciding where to put all their C55's so they normally keep them between the Unicorn sh1t and the Ark of the Covenant.

I’m not thinking I’ll squirrel it away; planning to use and enjoy it... if I can figure out the various conundrums. The rear number plate recess I thought was a separate part to the tailgate pressing, so I plan to either find a second hand one or use a square number plate. Either way the sense of unease is mounting, but what will be will be.... I hope to figure it all out before it becomes an expensive driveway ornament.

You can get android units that look identical to OEM and retain the steering wheel controls/OEM functionality for around £250 on eBay.

The bonus is that you get built in Bluetooth, DAB etc

Again, the issue is the need to do a load of rewiring to the car; the head unit itself is going to be a fraction of the overall cost.

See above...

If you can live without steering wheel controls then all you need is power and work out which wires go to which speakers.

See above...

If you can live without steering wheel controls then all you need is power and work out which wires go to which speakers.
Trouble is, these days, it's a lot more than media and Sat Nav that comes from the command unit. Everything from mirror folding on lock, keyless entry, individual driving modes along with a lot of error messages and vehicle data. Aftermarket stereos don't play well with all the OEM speakers in modern cars it's not as simple as balance and fader anymore usually the speakers get swapped out and or it's lot's of seperate amps and crossovers. Another issue I forgot to mention is, of course, the car will also probably come limited to 112Mph which is an issue for some people.

Last edited:
See above...

If that’s the case then doesn’t sound as bad as I thought, just need an auto electrician to take a look; Comand online are telling me it’s a four figure job. I can live without steering wheel controls if it comes down to it!

Trouble is, these days, it's a lot more than media and Sat Nav that comes from the command unit. Everything from mirror folding on lock, keyless entry, individual driving modes along with a lot of error messages and vehicle data. The car will also probably come limited to 112Mph which is an issue for some people.
It’s an old car so mirror fold on locking isn’t a concern; there’s no keyless entry or driving modes. Error messages more of a concern, as is the speed limiter (not that I plan to speed of course).

You could fit a rear number plate which fits the size of the car perfectly, as you are allowed smaller plates on imports. (JDM, I had one on my GTB)

You won’t need to “rewire the car” to fit an android unit, just ascertain the colours/feeds on the loom in the car, and connect from there.
(You could make a new mini-harness from old/new, or just cut old connector off, and splice to new) connectors are cheap on the Bay.

As Pete says in #6, breakers for lamp clusters & switches. New instrument cluster maybe, talk to Cartronix in Surrey(?) they could probably swap and recode it. You may need a kph to mph converter which will also “remove” the JDM speed limiter (if Mercs also have them fitted)

You could fit a rear number plate which fits the size of the car perfectly, as you are allowed smaller plates on imports. (JDM, I had one on my GTB)

You won’t need to “rewire the car” to fit an android unit, just ascertain the colours/feeds on the loom in the car, and connect from there.
(You could make a new mini-harness from old/new, or just cut old connector off, and splice to new) connectors are cheap on the Bay.

As Pete says in #6, breakers for lamp clusters & switches. New instrument cluster maybe, talk to Cartronix in Surrey(?) they could probably swap and recode it. You may need a kph to mph converter which will also “remove” the JDM speed limiter (if Mercs also have them fitted)
Thank you for the pointers; will try Cartronix. Suffice to say this is a massive learning curve....

The car is RHD after all?

A lot of 'prestige' cars from Japan certainly used to be LHD - they were ordered that way so it was obvious they were an expensive European car. Not sure if this is still the case.

As Pete says in #6, breakers for lamp clusters & switches.

I suspect the loom may not support rear foglights, so it may be a bit trickier than just a switch and clusters. Most MBs only have one rear foglight active (on the offside), even though there are holders (and sometimes even bulbs) on both sides. I assume this is coded.

I wonder why the vehicles loom is different from a Uk model? The car is RHD after all?
It is really possible it is to stop imports. Used cars in Japan are a very expensive proposition so resale is very low. for example their MOT (Shaken) is on a sliding scale but for most cars (White plate) is a minimum of about £825 easily rising to 1K and there are lots of other hidden costs. Almost certainly to support the car industry and nudge people to Yellow plate cars.

As an aside it really does have a knock on, in some places, Vladivostok was amazing to see, nearly everyone, in contrast to the rest of Russia, has recent RHD Japanese cars, so much so that the city wanted to change to driving on the left.. Luckily central government did think that through..

Can I ask how much the car is going to be, landed? I have a C55 estate, hence my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom