C55 AMG estate incoming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why would you buy a diesel car berating V8 owners and boasting about the fuel economy and all that when you drive 2500 miles in a year is beyond me.

Completely agree Will, if I only drove 2K I’d have a 6.2L V8.

my current setup is the E320CDI wagon for long runs and a CLK320 for short trips. Although the CLK is going next year and will be replaced by a E55k. :devil:

Wish I’d bought your E55 wagon, the dual fuel thing is amazing!

As it is an import you can legally get a smaller reg numberplate, which avoids one issue :)

As it is an import you can legally get a smaller reg numberplate, which avoids one issue :)

I found a second hand Euro shaped number plate plinth for the tailgate in the right colour, so problem solved.

98B239C3-D598-4D21-BC23-CE0036D49413.jpeg
I found a second hand Euro shaped number plate plinth for the tailgate in the right colour, so problem solved.
It’s a bit scratched compared to the rest of the car but it’ll do...

Has it got heated seats? If not I’ve got a brand new original heated seat retrofit harness for sale ;)

It’s got heated seats already. Although not that much else spec-wise; no park sensors and standard climate control. It’s got Comand (although Japanese). Think I need a Dynavin or similar.

Think I need a Dynavin or similar.

Yeah or a pioneer/alpine unit. Do you have an iPhone? If so, go for a carplay unit.

Awesome car,don't think I've ever seen a C55 AMG estate on the road! just read some contemporary magazine tests of of these and the press seemed to really rave about them.

I can see Keith's view Re the Performance state of things, I think they would be quite close if his is putting out what he thinks it is, but the 55 would be quicker up top for sure.

But it's not just about that is it?

There's so much more than that to owning a AMG than anything else.

The Interior for instance, the handling, the stronger 5g box and the Glorious noise of a v8 instead of the Clutter of a diesel

I love powerful diesel's but i love the sound of a Petrol v8 more, I know which car id chose regardless of the price difference.

Also the c55 will hold its value, unlike the diesel

Yeah or a pioneer/alpine unit. Do you have an iPhone? If so, go for a carplay unit.
I like the OEM look, hence thinking of Dynavin; although not sure what alternatives are around which look ‘factory’. A Dynavin unit is about £600 before fitting etc., so I’m keen to explore what else is out there. I do use an iPhone, so CarPlay would be nice to have.

It’s got heated seats already. Although not that much else spec-wise; no park sensors and standard climate control. It’s got Comand (although Japanese). Think I need a Dynavin or similar.
I don't think there was that much available as options. Parking sensors and comand I think. Mine has aftermarket rear sensors and they're fairly useless, bleep at everything.
It does make a good noise mind especially on cold startup as swmbo whizzes off to school in the morning. Certainly brightens the dull school car park!

I can see Keith's view Re the Performance state of things, I think they would be quite close if his is putting out what he thinks it is, but the 55 would be quicker up top for sure.

The Interior for instance, the handling, the stronger 5g box and the Glorious noise of a v8 instead of the Clutter of a diesel

I love powerful diesel's but i love the sound of a Petrol v8 more, I know which car id chose regardless of the price difference.

Diesels always develop more torque but also have a limited window of power if they are turbo'd where as the v8 has the torque with no turbo through pretty much the whole rev range. might pull the same from stop but the 55 will pull away no problem easily before the 1st to 2nd gear change :)

I don't think there was that much available as options. Parking sensors and comand I think. Mine has aftermarket rear sensors and they're fairly useless, bleep at everything.
It does make a good noise mind especially on cold startup as swmbo whizzes off to school in the morning. Certainly brightens the dull school car park!
MB offered very little as an option on a new C55, two options were going from Audio20 to command which was over £1500 (in 2005 remember) and parking sensors , less than £500 . I can possibly see my C55 has Audio 20 but I can't understand why the parking sensor box wasn't ticked when ordering a £50K car. I don't miss them as it's not exactly a massive car.

Agreed , but there is way more to it than that. back in 2005/6 the top of the range C class W(S)203 would max out in the mid £30K range. The C55 was £50K. A massive jump no doubt partly due to 'marketing' but a LOT of changes were made to set the AMG apart from the others , and in small numbers that costs real money.

For instance mine was built in Germany when (if I understand it) Most C class at the time were from South Africa and other countries. Did MB ship primed bodies from SA to Germany to build as AMG ?? The seats are made by LEAR , are they in other W203's ? . The ratio on the steering rack is different , the wheel offset, the suspension is all marked AMG springs and dampers, the car is lower and longer. the whole front end is CLK on a 'normal' C class the front grille rises with the bonnet on an AMG it does not, the bigger front disc and callipers the different (same pad's) rear callipers, the uprated rear diff with heat exchanger...the list goes on and on.

If you know anything about mass manufacturing of cars you will realise it's a miracle the C55 exist at all ! It must have been a complete ball ache to build bearing in mind the C32 already existed and the W203 was at the end of it's life at the time and the new model was already in the pipeline. it wouldn't surprise me if MB didn't lose money making them.

They did skimp on the rust protection though , but I digress :rolleyes:

Well..... obviously quite a lot of you cannot even read properly as i was only answering Petrol Pete`s post and not the OP`s
So in reality it is all you sarcastic members that have spoiled the newbies thread by answering and slagging me off ......well that is friendly forums for you Ha! Ha!
I am used to it so no worries for me.
There is just one thing tho` i have never said a diesel is better than an AMG it is you you lot that say that by twisting my word`s and also the member who must have looked on the GOV site to check my tax and mot to get my mileage now i think that is very very sneaking and i think he is an absolute $hite of a member.
But then you all think that is ok and respond to his post`s

Well if you want to know why my mileage is so low it is because i have had Cardiac Artery blockages and i have been undergoing tests for over a year or more and at last they gave me stents so perhaps i may feel better and go out driving more in the Merc. I do use the Zaffy (petrol) when i just go around the block.

I can afford what motor i care to desire but do like my economical torquey motor which with it`s 7 gears instead of 5 keeps the torque in the correct rev range for performance ....you know what they say if you haven`t tried it don`t knock it :p:p:p

I like the OEM look, hence thinking of Dynavin; although not sure what alternatives are around which look ‘factory’. A Dynavin unit is about £600 before fitting etc., so I’m keen to explore what else is out there. I do use an iPhone, so CarPlay would be nice to have.

I fitted an OEM look Erisin - detail here - Aftermarket head unit advice please

Audio wise it is on par with the COMAND 2.0 it replaced. An additional amp could improve things if required along with some updated speakers.
Carplay dongles are available for android from as little as £40 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom