C55 AMG Rear Suspension Springs. Mystery Number!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobySouthWest

Car
C55 AMG
My rear passenger spring broke today and I'm really struggling to find anything that matched the number printed on it.

The number is 74988 T391995

The first part I think is the Merc part number but the second part has no reference to anything I can find..

I've never had to replace them before and would really appreciate if anyone can just tell me which one I need to order!!

Hello and welcome . If the 'legend' AMG is not printed on the spring then they are aftermarket. The colour coding is the key. Not sure if its much help to you but the only photo I have of my rear springs (2006 C55 estate) shows up two yellow paint blocks but I cant see the part number .

The front springs are clearly printed with ' AMG A203 321 7004' and have one silver and 3 green paint squares on them. I would expect the part number to start with A203.........

For all I know my rear springs might not be MB parts . Note that the rubber pad under each spring might be different as there are ( I think) 3 different thicknesses available.

Have you seen one out and about lately ? other than the the one you are driving ! In the years I have had mine I have seen one despite traveling a fair bit here and overseas. I passed one at a junction near my home and I think we both gave a double take - bit like of you see someone famous in the chippy - not seen it since. I have not even seen a saloon despite spending many months working in the USA a few years back.

Some Wag has suggested that they have all rotted away :p . The rust issue is real unfortunately. How is the rear subframe on yours looking ? signs of rust ?

You thinking about getting springs from MB or aftermarket ? I have not looked into myself yet , but MB do not make springs , they get someone else to do that . Not sure what is available out there.
After looking around I think I'm going to go with this: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1232460

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1232460

In terms of seeing other Estates, then no I don't think i have actually ever seen one on the road, I haven't had mine long and its was full of silly niggles that I've now fixed, however I think i've got the ''jerky'' as they call it coming from my gearbox, I'm told its the Solenoid so that's the next big project for it.

It terms of Subframe, then I think I'm lucky as everything seems in good shape, so fare!

More info on the rear springs:

Two types, either double yellow or triple blue.

Apparently Merc have sold 427 units of the triple blue and only 27 Double yellow.

They are also not sure which you should use!!

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.44.40.png

Things can get a bit confusing sometimes with these cars. A main MB AMG dealer insisted to me that my rear brake callipers were 'aftermarket' because they do not look like the ones they have on their screen .

I showed them photos of numerous C55's and mine was outside in the car park . They STILL insisted that the C55 did not come out with those rear callipers ..a MAIN dealer 🤔

oddly enough the pads have the same part number but the callipers are very different to a normal 203 C class. If you ever need parts for the back brakes , don't call MB , give me a shout ;)

i will not be going under my car any time soon so I can't have a look for a P/N on the spring. But the photo I have defiantly shows 2 yellow paint marks .

Photos of the drivers and passengers side rear springs (respectively) of my 2007 C55 Estate below.

Both springs were replaced in 2018 in previous owner's ownership; sadly the DDR invoice doesn't record part numbers, so I can only tell you that they cost him £69.50 each.

PXL_20210320_180324144.jpgPXL_20210320_180420970.jpg

Photos of the drivers and passengers side rear springs (respectively) of my 2007 C55 Estate below.

Both springs were replaced in 2018 in previous owner's ownership; sadly the DDR invoice doesn't record part numbers, so I can only tell you that they cost him £69.50 each.

View attachment 110697View attachment 110698
Thats brilliant thank you.. turns out the C32 springs seem to be exactly the same, but coded differently. So fitted them today! I’ve got the double yellow coded ones on order fro auto doc but their delivery at the moment is super slow.

Attachments

• 388BFCCE-3F06-4A60-A948-936A1A848A6A.png
    388BFCCE-3F06-4A60-A948-936A1A848A6A.png
    690 KB · Views: 8
  • C0F70BBC-899A-48A7-B2EB-A643B06DEFE6.jpeg
    C0F70BBC-899A-48A7-B2EB-A643B06DEFE6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Perhaps we should do a roll call of c55, especially the estates but I suppose we could include the saloons :) Were there soft tops, don't think so.
Anyway 04/54 silver estate here.

Thats brilliant thank you.. turns out the C32 springs seem to be exactly the same, but coded differently. So fitted them today! I’ve got the double yellow coded ones on order fro auto doc but their delivery at the moment is super slow.
AutoDoc have always ben slow (by todays standards) when I have ordered from them , but I have yet to have an actual problem with what they send. Others on here have had a different experience with them . Mine are the same as discussed (two yellow marks) and I suspect not OEM . let us know how you get on :thumb:

turns out the C32 springs seem to be exactly the same, but coded differently. So fitted them today! I’ve got the double yellow coded ones on order fro auto doc but their delivery at the moment is super slow.

I believe the C55 original springs are higher rate than the C32 (although they are interchangeable). So if you've fitted stock C32 ones, they might be a bit softer.

"The C32 used to be biased towards the comfort side in terms of ride and handling. Now AMG seems to be shifting towards the hardcore boundary this side of BMW. The C55 has its suspensions stiffened by 20% compare with its predecessor, further aided with 14mm wider front track and a 7% quicker steering rack"

Perhaps we should do a roll call of c55, especially the estates but I suppose we could include the saloons :) Were there soft tops, don't think so.
Anyway 04/54 silver estate here.

The way I see it, the CLK55 is the coupe and convertible version, the C55 the saloon and estate. Since they're the same platform, same drivetrain, and our cars share the CLK front-end, they're basically four different body variants of the same car.

Actually kinda interesting to reflect that BMW used to call their saloons and coupes all "M3" back then, but now their two-doors are M4 and the four-door is M3.

A roll-call thread is a good idea, there can't be that many of us (& I know I bought my car from a fellow MBClub member).

Just thought I would let you all the know, the new springs seem to be working great.! So very relieved.

I have however decided to sell the car now. :-(

Has anyone changed their solenoid in the transmission? at 1200rpm i'm noticing the ''jerky'' is starting to get a little worse.

Nice to see you have the same rear brake callipers as I have on mine....the one my local main AMG MB dealer say do not exist ...🤔 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom