C55 AMG reliabilty and future values

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

356boy

looking at the 04 C55 AMG estates, i know there isnt many about but i was wondering if anyone could tell me about there reliability with it having such a large engine in a small car and also what you think there future values will be, i'm looking for a powerfull car that wont depreciate to much and will maybe be a fututre collectable, i think really its between the C55 estate due to the limited numbers produced or the audi RS4 or 6 or anyone have any other opinions
thanks

Can't really think that the C55 would be any less reliable than the other W203s generally?

Engine-wise the M113 V8 is pretty under-stressed and pulling around the lightweight W203 should outlive the car comfortably.

I wouldn't buy a C55 with depreciation or running costs being of great concern though - being relatively new they've still got plenty of money to lose and I doubt they'll be classics for a good while yet :eek:

Will

Not had any problems with mine. Have had it for almost a year now and it's been 100% reliable. Costs a lot to run, but then I knew that when I bought it.....

dont mind the running costs fuel etc.. i accept that but i dont want to be outlaying on maintanence work regulary, i also understand that it wont be a classic for a good few years but i think it will in the future and maybe gain in value again
thanks for the comments

C55's are nice car, I test drove one about 2 months ago and I loved it, I havnt hurd any problems on c55's.

2004 MERCEDES-BENZ C55

I would deffo go for that^^^ if I was looking for a C55 Estate, has 'perfomance pack' and i've never seen that on a c55 before!

Brakes are bigger than standard c55 - 6 pot at the front - 4 at the back!

dont mind the running costs fuel etc.. i accept that but i dont want to be outlaying on maintanence work regulary, i also understand that it wont be a classic for a good few years but i think it will in the future and maybe gain in value again
thanks for the comments

It's not just the fuel/insurance/depreciation costs - but the servicing/maintenance side of things can get pricey too.

Eg tyres, around £600/set?
16 spark plugs
Discs/pads - not certain on the C55 costs but CLK55 front discs are around £200 a side, plus pads, plus fitting. Easy £600+ total or more at a main dealer.

Don't want to discourage you at all - but it's important to have some idea for potential costs :) Those are just routine service items, not faults or repairs of course.

I expect many ~ 04 plate cars will be out of warranty by now too.

Great cars, something special about a V8 C-class for sure, but obviously not an economical motoring option! :eek:

Will

Last edited:
The only AMG's in the last 10 years I see possibly being a classic/collectors car are the CLK DTM, CLK black series, w202 C55 and the R129 SL73.

AMG are not cheap to run like any performance car in any brand.
If you want something that holds it value and will become a classic I would go for a porsche 996 GT3.

Last edited:
If you want something that holds it value and will become a classic I would go for a porsche 996 GT3.
i need a family car now!! and i have 2 dogs so it really needs to be an estate or large saloon, by the way what is the w202? sorry not a merc freak so i dont know the code numbers

i suppose the other option is an E55 amg estate or saloon, i take it running and maintanence costs are the same as the C55 amg and there is some nice E55 saloons on the market, obviously the lower the milage the better but if they did have 50000 plus on the clock is it a matter of stay away and look for a low milage car?

Last edited:
I'd have the RS6 over a C55 Estate anyday.... Very understated, bags of grunt and 4x4 all wrapped up in a huge Audi estate.... Having a few issues with my car at the moment, but I like my car more the perfect so everything has to be right!! been looking at RS6 and Cayenne Turbo... huge amount of cars for the money!! Very similar running costs to the AMG's

I too have been considering a C55 next.

For me, however, the extra power of an E55 for less or the same money is almost a no-brainer. I do like the simplicity of the C55, n/a engine, smaller more chuckable chassis, less electronic gremlins to go wrong. However, as they are 2004+ cars they are very expensive for the power you get, and the old C32's could be tuned up to over 400bhp pretty cheaply.

You are right to point out the Audi RS6, although I hate the look of these cars and they have dated badly.

I prefer under-cover cars and a de-badged C55 isn't too in your face. The sound as well once you remove the resonator and secondary cats is something else!

I'm looking at moving to a 55 soon too, just not sure which one :)

It'll be outside the Stealer network though. And not a G :D

FWIT, I did the 2004 Gumball Rally :ban: in an RS6 saloon - it was quite simply a brilliant car then.

I would agree with the comment above that it has aged badly in the looks department but it is quite understated and we more than held our own against the 'supercar brigade'!

It has Quattro arches. Enough said :D

The only problem that I can see with C55's is their rarity. Mine is in Tanzanite Blue - the only one I have seen for sale in the UK that wasn't in black or silver. It's also a saloon and there have been more estates than saloons for sale in the last 12 months. I would guess that there have been no more than 6 C55 saloons for sale on Autotrader in the last year.
I toyed with a C63 a month or so ago and may well do so again in 6 months time, but for now, my C55 is the perfect combination of discretion, power, comfort and noise.

I to have had my C55 for just over a year and I love it. I've had lots of different cars and I like the uniqueness of the C55 if you stand it next to a C32 it looks almost completely different with its CLK front. People often stop and say is a real one which is quite cool.

I have had a custom exhaust fitted to it to make the sound louder and the engine sounds exquisite.

For the money I don't think there is a better option. I have had an Audi RS6 and whilst it is very nice you get more for your money with the AMG.

Great cars, something special about a V8 C-class for sure, but obviously not an economical motoring option!
It's not just the fuel/insurance/depreciation costs - but the servicing/maintenance side of things can get pricey too.

Eg tyres, around £600/set?
16 spark plugs
Discs/pads - not certain on the C55 costs but CLK55 front discs are around £200 a side, plus pads, plus fitting. Easy £600+ total or more at a main dealer.

Don't want to discourage you at all - but it's important to have some idea for potential costs Those are just routine service items, not faults or repairs of course.

I expect many ~ 04 plate cars will be out of warranty by now too.

Great cars, something special about a V8 C-class for sure, but obviously not an economical motoring option!/QUOTE]

The maintenance costs depend on where you go and whether you need to have a main dealer service.

I had a full set of tyres on the C32 for £300 all in.
Pads, discs and new front suspension bushes all done for £450. It was only that much as they did a minor repair at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom