C55 Amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjab98

Car
G55 AMG and Ghibli 2.8GT
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...-BENZ&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=25000&max_mileage=

Going very cheap because it's a "v car", what does that mean? I'll hazard a guess that the words barge pole would come into the explanation.

Also howcome C55's seem to be holding their value compared to C32's that have recently been plummeting? There's a huge gap between the two, a late C32 is about £8,000 less than an early C55 on similar mileage. I want them to start depreciating a lot faster so I can afford one:D

V car is usually an insurance write off (If I recall correctly). Might just have been stolen recovered though.

VCAR = Vehicle Condition Alert Register

It ought to say the category, but perhaps there's an asumption it's cat D - wonder what's happened to it if there's no body or mechanical damage? Poss flood??

I've never understood the stolen/recovered bit - why would an otherwise decent car be written off?

Copied this from a post on PistonHeads:

Category A (Worst) : Example: a burned out shell, CANNOT be put back on the road.

Category B : Example: Very bad accident damage, car CANNOT be put back on the road but parts can be re-used.

Category C : Example : Severe accident damage, car CAN be out back on the road.

Category D : Example : Theft Recovery/Flooding/minor/moderate accident damage, car CAN be put back on the road.

The PH poster suggested the car should be at least a third cheaper, but to bear in mind it might be very difficult to sell on again as most people will run a mile.

Last edited:
I should imagine insuring it would be harder?

Some cheap cars about at the mo, think I would go for a non recorded one :)

That one has had a CLK grill fitted to it.

A 5k difference means this car is 25% cheaper, and with the premium you add for a trader vs a private seller we are probably getting close to the 1/3rd less that Rory suggested.

I'd never buy a car like this unless I know exactly what has caused it to be Cat C or Cat D. I'd avoind any Cat C, but a cat D can be just a bent pannel that the insurance company had repaired, with no structural damage underneath. The fact that it has a non standard grill as gurpz pointed out could suggest that it's had a front end impact of some kind.

Remember that with the 55 over the 32 , you get the sexy front end from the CLK , so as you can fit the V8 in ;)

I'm not normally a fan of big stars added to cars that shouldn't have them , but that actually looks quite good ! :eek:

Not a chance with my hard earned.

Insurance nightmare I should imagine. Would want to see pictures before / invoices for work done.

I think selling it on would be very hard. Does look great yes but I would rather add the extra and have a straight one :)

v car doesnt really add much to your insurance, and most major companies will still insure it, had a few in the past, never had a problem insuring. would be interesting to know why it is on v-car, wouldnt touch it without knowing why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom