C55 Amg

Discussion in 'Spotted on eBay!' started by cjab98, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cjab98

cjab98 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    G55 AMG and Ghible 2.8GT
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...-BENZ&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=25000&max_mileage=

Going very cheap because it's a "v car", what does that mean? I'll hazard a guess that the words barge pole would come into the explanation.

Also howcome C55's seem to be holding their value compared to C32's that have recently been plummeting? There's a huge gap between the two, a late C32 is about £8,000 less than an early C55 on similar mileage. I want them to start depreciating a lot faster so I can afford one:D

2. Inkyskin

Inkyskin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

V car is usually an insurance write off (If I recall correctly). Might just have been stolen recovered though.

3. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    VCAR = Vehicle Condition Alert Register

It ought to say the category, but perhaps there's an asumption it's cat D - wonder what's happened to it if there's no body or mechanical damage? Poss flood??

I've never understood the stolen/recovered bit - why would an otherwise decent car be written off?

Copied this from a post on PistonHeads:

Category A (Worst) : Example: a burned out shell, CANNOT be put back on the road.

Category B : Example: Very bad accident damage, car CANNOT be put back on the road but parts can be re-used.

Category C : Example : Severe accident damage, car CAN be out back on the road.

Category D : Example : Theft Recovery/Flooding/minor/moderate accident damage, car CAN be put back on the road.

The PH poster suggested the car should be at least a third cheaper, but to bear in mind it might be very difficult to sell on again as most people will run a mile.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

I should imagine insuring it would be harder?

Some cheap cars about at the mo, think I would go for a non recorded one :)

5. gurpz

gurpz Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230K Sport
    That one has had a CLK grill fitted to it.

6. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    I really like that, £14.5K??? Wow...

7. pdavison

pdavison New Member

Car:
    C55 AMG
    My C55 could be had for just £5k more than that and it's totally straight!

8. OP
    OP
    cjab98

cjab98 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    G55 AMG and Ghible 2.8GT
    A 5k difference means this car is 25% cheaper, and with the premium you add for a trader vs a private seller we are probably getting close to the 1/3rd less that Rory suggested.

I'd never buy a car like this unless I know exactly what has caused it to be Cat C or Cat D. I'd avoind any Cat C, but a cat D can be just a bent pannel that the insurance company had repaired, with no structural damage underneath. The fact that it has a non standard grill as gurpz pointed out could suggest that it's had a front end impact of some kind.

9. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Remember that with the 55 over the 32 , you get the sexy front end from the CLK , so as you can fit the V8 in ;)

I'm not normally a fan of big stars added to cars that shouldn't have them , but that actually looks quite good ! :eek:

10. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
  11. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Not a chance with my hard earned.

Insurance nightmare I should imagine. Would want to see pictures before / invoices for work done.

I think selling it on would be very hard. Does look great yes but I would rather add the extra and have a straight one :)

12. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    v car doesnt really add much to your insurance, and most major companies will still insure it, had a few in the past, never had a problem insuring. would be interesting to know why it is on v-car, wouldnt touch it without knowing why!

Tags: