C55? Are they any good and would it be a foolish private buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arbs

Firstly - hi :) - been lurking a bit, great forum you have here!

Am seriously considering one of these (or pos an E55 but thats another story...) Currently driving a 2006 Focus ST(3) which I have loved, but thinking about changing in the nearish future and the C55 is definately 'on the list'!

Have seen a fair few about, both private, independent dealers, and main dealers. Realised that the Merc approved cars are backed up with a years warranty which obviously appeals but of course its built in to the price.... What is the likelihood of me getting caught out with big bills if i go independant/private? Anyone any experience of aftermarket warranties etc??

Any known issues, complaints, advice etc??

If you buy a C55 from a non-MB dealer ask that they put an MB warranty on it, or discount it by not providing a warranty. Then buy an MB warranty yourself. I would certainly build an MB warranty into the price of a private sale.

I can't imagine it will be different to my C32 AMG - as mine is considered the same as any other C-Class for warranty bandings - and it's less than £1,000 for one year.

As long as the car's done less than 60,000 miles at the point you take it out, then it's pretty much the same cover as an MB new car warranty, and the same as the approved used warranty.

You may be lucky and never claim, but if they go wrong, MBs are costly, and it may be prudent to mitigate most of the risk!!

Keep us posted...

interesting, so you can add an 'official' warranty even when you buy private? I assume it has to have a F(M?)SH? Is it not available on cars over 60k do you know? Anyone know of any details online?

If the car has between 60,000 and 100,000 miles at the point at which you take out the warranty, then you can still have an MB warranty, but it's less comprehensive, and known as Tier 2. Below 60,000 miles is kmown as Tier 1.

Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 cost the same. The dealer will insist on an inspection if not already under warranty, which they may charge for - you can negotiate though.

If buying private, Tier 1 might offer more reassurance, but Tier 2 would be better than pretty much any third-party warranty.

thanks - will look into it :)

only one response from 175 views? I'm I looking in th wrong place for C55 stuff?

thanks - will look into it :)

only one response from 175 views? I'm I looking in th wrong place for C55 stuff?

Nope - it's a rare car and very few members on here have one :eek:

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Will

There seems to be more AMGs in the club than ever at the moment, but still very much the minority.

I can only think of one member with a C55 at present. Try the US forums, they're much more common over there.

There are not really any common major problems with that engine, and the other stuff - like electrics - are better on the facelift W203, so they're not a bad bet.

Putting on my sensible hat for a change...........and being a bit of a damp squib as well.........
But do you REALLY need something as fast?
Read this then judge..........
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62071

Surely a 320 or similar would be fast enough for most.
The difference between a Focus ST and a C55/E55 is immense. You MUST drive one to appreciate this. Performance figures really dont convey the collosal power under your right foot.
A car like a C/E55 will bite you badly if its misused even for a few seconds at the wrong time.
I say this in full knowledge I will get chastised for suggesting such a thing.
Drive one before you go down this route. You may find something less powerful will more than suffice.
I have a C200K and for 98% of the time its more than fast enough.
And cheaper to run.
I am not saying you are going to go out hand have something similar happen. But its a fact that a car like a E55 in the wrong hands has greater potential....................

BTW..............Welcome along..........

Last edited:
A friend has just bought an 03 E55 estate for silly low money from an independent dealer. He mentioned it came with a warranty as the previous owner had paid out for it and its still covered.

Beautiful car, black with black interior and every option ticked.

Had I not taken the plunge with CE 2 years ago, I know what I'd be looking for at the moment:devil:

Go for it. Just be prepared for the service costs and poor town fuel consumption.

Ade

an AMG V8 is an experience to savour and enjoy if you can afford it

Welcome,

Have to agree the power / delivery of a C55 against you current Focus ST will be like chalk and cheese.

Are you also use to rear wheel drive? and automatic?

Anything slightly damp and power too soon will see the traction light glowing.

Drive one first as mentioned. I'm not saying don't buy one but as someone else has said 99% of the time a 320 would be as quick. My old boss had a 2004 E55 estate and at the time I had a 330 bmw. It may that look like a toy performance wise.

If you do still want one, and you like RED there has been one on piston heads for months at around £12995 and I reckon 10-11K would buy that. a LOT of car for the money.

search on p-heads for it

cheers

hey thanks for replies :)

I know the C55 is in a different league in terms of performance, but without sounding like a chump, the ST (in its remapped form as is mine) has a similar torque output, i don't think in gear accelleration would be massively different. Our second car is an auto (tho a rather different 4 speed with a column shifter!) shich I like but no, I've never actually owned a RWD drive car. That said, I am trained to an Advanced Police standard so have driven several high performance RWD cars at high speed.

Of course, I don't NEED a car with such power but hey, when has that ever mattered lol.

It is actually that red one I have seen that has caught my eye - it looks a bargain as long as i never want to be able to re-sell it! lol. Also its done over 60k which prompted my question about the warranty as above!

I like a car to be different, with lots of character, but in the same way not be in your face. If I go for something of this sort of age, I'm also considering a Jag S-type R, E55, or maybe a previous gen M5, otherwise for a cheaper but newer car, the focus is a difficult all-rounder to beat for a care of that type.

I've never sat in a C55... but i've tried the C32 and, its leagues apart in terms of torque and accelaration from an ST, believe me! And it being rear-wheel drive will provide loads of enjoyment in any driving situation... ;)

Last edited:
I drive an old skool C43. Slower than a C32 and C55 but in the real world (30mph to err....cough 70mph) very very fast. I can get the drop on loads of machines as I have oodles of torque absolutely everywhere and a ripping top end.

C55 more of the same with sharper steering and more modern cabin.

Get a warranty in case something expensive goes pop. Like any modern machine lots of expensive bits to go wrong.

Give Tudu a PM - he'll be able to give you some top advice :)

Thanks. The C55 is a brilliant car both inside and out. However, as others have said in the wrong hands, and in the wet the car is lethal (just need to be steady on the gas ), but if you are sensible you should have no problems. Depending on your annual mileage will determine your costs but be prepared to pay anything from £500.00 upwards per service also if you find a good dealer they will give you discount (between 5-10%). I use Olly at PCS 1. because he is a trained MB technician, and 2. Offers an excellent service and the quality has been outstanding. Thirdly, excellent pricing which makes my C55 more affordable.

At the moment there are some good deals around as a number of C55 owners are now still upgrading to C63's I have been tempted a few times myself, and been offered £15k in p/ex but am waiting for the C63 price to drop still further over the next few months.

Overall i would rate the C55 a 9/10 for performance, quality and a 10/10 for being able to listen to that V8 burbble into life every morning. If you decide to get one make sure it has comand (most will come with this as standard) parktronic, auto-dim mirrors etc. All in all, out of the 3 MB's i have owned over the past 4 years, the C55 has to be the best buy but you will need a reasonbly fat wallet to keep it fed with petrol as it hungers for the pressure of the right foot.

Hope that helps.

yeah, that really helps, thanks :) what sort of mpg is realistic? i've always had pretty inefficient cars so i'm hoping it wouldnt come as tooo much of a shock lol. It wouldnt be used for big mileages anyway so its not a huge issue - the known costs i can deal with, its the unexpected thinks that i'm thinking could be a bit of shock!

I wouldn't be too scared about the power of them, as long as you keep in mind whats under your right foot and don't try anything silly.

I've never driven a C55, but I've got a C43 which is already on the right side of 300BHP. If you floor it all the time you will see the traction control light flash a lot, but overall the car is still very civilised and easy to drive smoothly if you wish.

Edit: MPG will probably be similar to mine, on a motorway run I can get 30mpg, town driving I suspect it is around 20 but I don't do much of it. But if you're looking at a 5.5L V8 I doubt that's one of your biggest concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom