C55 crank position sensor location?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Power_n_Glory

Car
C55 Estate W203
My CPS has packed up on the C55 Estate and now trying to change it myself. I have looked at a load of posts, mostly on US forums, have 1/4 inch E8 socket and drive etc but cannot find the thing to change it!

Can anyone help with where it is? Sticking my hand right up from underneath on the offside (drivers side for our American cousins!) I can feel a whole load of wires and Torx male bolts but I have no idea how to find it.

Mike

Think you will find it on top just before the gear box(fly wheel side).that's where it should be as it takes it's signal from the fly wheel.

Thanks! Both tips cool and the video is excellent, but just shows how shoe-horned the V8 is as it's a lot tighter to the bulkhead in the C class! I think I can see it now, but I'll have to move some stuff to get it from the top... And add to the scratches on my hands. Happy days!

Cheers

We have a few that have been seized in. We have had to remove the gearbox and drill them out!!

Power_n_Glory said:
Thanks! Both tips cool and the video is excellent, but just shows how shoe-horned the V8 is as it's a lot tighter to the bulkhead in the C class! I think I can see it now, but I'll have to move some stuff to get it from the top... And add to the scratches on my hands. Happy days!

Cheers

Same on a CLK! :)

Very glad to report that the sensor did not need drilling out, but in the end had to give up and take it to my local shop who swore at me, in good humour, and did the job for £100. After I had spent three hours trying and failing to get in from underneath, I reckon that was decent value. Out of interest, they got in from the top but needed to strip a load of bits off the top of the engine and going in from above. The mechanic had much smaller hands and naturally the right tools, still took him ages. There really is no room there and one can't help thinking that it could have been located on the top of the bell housing...

Got me to the Festival of Speed and back and started and re-started in the sweltering heat so all good now, I am sure. FoS was amazing; cool cars and bikes, some decent AMG's too ;-)

Thanks for all your help,

Mike

That's good news. I had one done by Mobilo at the road side on a hot July day. Hot engine, hot day and he had a black shirt. The air was blue and it took him over an hour with bits coming off the top of the engine!

Just had mine done. Same situation, could just see it but no way I could get to it myself. Mechanic went in from bottom and removed one of the CATs and said this made it much easier to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom