C55 front bumper caught on kerb :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
Rather ****** off ... had caught the underside of the front bumper on a supermarket space kerb some months back, but noticed before flying back in reverse and lifted it off the kerb with some deformation and paint loss underneath only.

Now the wife's done it, but just stuffed it in reverse and nearly tore the bumper off :doh:

Crack all the way up the front of the bumper now, along with a large flake of paint I've had to glue down. Completely torn underneath and sticks down about an inch more than it should, so will likely catch on lots of things now.

As far as I can see, there's probably nothing for it other than to replace the bumper. Anyone care to suggest a price for such things? Is there a lot of labour involved? What about paint - cubanite silver likely to match without a spray?

There are people out there who do plastic welding. Try Google. May save you some cash.

I remember when cars were made of stronger stuff.
Once I was visiting a customer and parked on a steep slope not noticing that there was a cut off post. As i reversed to go the front of the car dipped and ripped the bumper off it's mountings.

No damage at all, it just had to be bolted back on. Long live Ford Sierra quality... :D

I remember when cars were made of stronger stuff.
Once I was visiting a customer and parked on a steep slope not noticing that there was a cut off post. As i reversed to go the front of the car dipped and ripped the bumper off it's mountings.

No damage at all, it just had to be bolted back on. Long live Ford Sierra quality... :D

That's when bumpers were bumpers, now they are crash protection crumple zones!

Don't let her drive it again.

you got a picture of the damage mate?

I'm thinking of getting a 63 CLK front bumper on my C55 so I might sell mine soon... ;)

Last edited:
Will try and take a pic tomorrow. It's not nearly as bad as the deer incident above! The main problem is the warped and ripped bit underneath - it's just asking to catch on something again. I could live with some re-forming on that that wasn't visible head on, but not sure how well the crack and large flake/chip would cover up. Now way I can shoot £1k on a bumper :(

Just wait until you get a stray cow to lie on your bonnet :eek:

Do you have protected no claims?

Run it through the insurance?

Some pics of the damage

Last edited:
Do you have protected no claims?

Run it through the insurance?

I do, but 5 years of having to tell them about it and them adding hundreds to the premium as a result, despite "keeping" my no claims ... :doh:

You could get your wife to " bump" into it with her car, and claim off HER insurance :D

Nice idea, but unfortunately 1 car family now that I'm not using it for work .. which is where most of the problem stems from!! :(

Ebay.de there is a guy who sells them. You night get lucky, otherwise its inusrance time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom