C55 gone bonkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Help please: c55 W203 2004.

Occasionally when you put it into gear (D) or (R) in any mode. It starts to blip the throttle. This is a rythmic blipping and requires foot on brake to hold the car. It will eventually stop as you reach about 20mph but then stalls the engine if you brake hard to a standstill. Switch off ignition then on and it is fine.

The blipping is almost software driven AKA F1 cars having their warm up from a PC.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Didn't want to read and run so..

Not sure if it compares, but mine (E55k) started hunting all over the place about a year after I bought it. Afraid it required a new throttle body. Is your EML on when it happens?

Hope yours is an easier fix :eek:

Tim

Last edited:
Tim

Thank you. No EML light on and no dash errors.

I think it significant that the car will start and idle absolutely fine. It is only when you move to D or R with foot still on brake pedal that the blipping starts?

Have you checked your Idle Air Control Valve ?

throttle body, or air leak between throttle butterfly and engine.

On the TB , also check the small bore vacuum pipes around the TB are not lose or split. Unmetered air into the engine can cause high idle, rough idle, etc.

HTH

Last edited:
Mine stalled once or twice when up to temp was a nackered crank sensor fiddly to replace as there is sod all room but cured my stalling problem. I had no hunting issues.

if its not the MAF, Throttle Body (expensive), crank sensor, air leak etc...
have you thought about the accelerator pedal..? theres a module there.. if the voltages are not right can cause issues and throw up MAF sensor errors...

If it idles fine, sounds like a Torque Conveter issue, as if its always engaged, makes sense that it makes the car 'jump' and then it stalls if you put your foor on brake?

All

My apologies for not responding sooner. I found the answer when I got smoke and burning oil smell in the cabin.

Turned out that the engine oil filler cap was incorrectly fitted allowing a fine mist of oil to escape. I can only guess that this also caused some pressure issue? When the cap was properly fitted and my blushes has stopped, the problem had gone and remains gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom