C55 hesitating/ stalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
Apologies if posting in wrong section.
My C55 has started hesitating and lurching a bit at lower speeds and the idle is a bit erratic at times.
I have done a bit of research and ended up removing the MAF and cleaning it, but if anything it hasn't cured it but made the issue more noticeable.
Am I looking at a new MAF or is there anything else I should try? I think a few other M113 owners might have had similar issues, if any could pipe up that would be great.

Well I've ordered a Bosch MAF for it at reasonable cost. I hope that cures it, otherwise.... :(

Well I've ordered a Bosch MAF for it at reasonable cost. I hope that cures it, otherwise.... :(

If the new MAF hasn't cured the fault, get the codes read and see if the secondary air pump is the problem. Your symptoms are very similar with this fault.
Could be the pump or the relay and I believe the pump can be coded out on Star.

Have you replaced your vacuum hoses?
When I had the old hoses on the engine, they were stiff hard but without leaks and the rev-needle was steady as a rock.

When I did the annual MOT test with the old vacuum hoses, I was running lean on lambda 1,03 (0,97-1,03) on the verge to fail the test.
After I had replaced the vacuum hoses, lambda went down a notch to 1,01.
A slight improvement.

Replacing my old hoes with new hoes did the trick as the old hoes were tired ;) if you get my drift?
You could have a simple problem?

Last edited:
Have you replaced your vacuum hoses?
When I had the old hoses on the engine, they were stiff hard but without leaks and the rev-needle was steady as a rock.

When I did the annual MOT test with the old vacuum hoses, I was running lean on lambda 1,03 (0,97-1,03) on the verge to fail the test.
After I had replaced the vacuum hoses, lambda went down a notch to 1,01.
A slight improvement.

Replacing my old hoes with new hoes did the trick as the old hoes were tired ;) if you get my drift?
You could have a simple problem?
What’s involved in replacing the vacuum hoses; is it a garage job or can a ham fisted DIYer do it?

hoes sits behind the engine.
after you remove air filter box, hoses goes from the rear of the valve cover and around MAF.
look at the photos.

I'm not saying that you have this problem?
I didn't have any problems on my car, but rubber turns brittle or gets stiff with age, however if your hoses has never been replaced, it could be a good thing to buy new hoses.
They are not expensive.
It will for sure improve something on your car when everything is more air tight.

Attachments

• Breather hoses engine 3.jpg
    Breather hoses engine 3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 17
  • Breather hoses engine.jpg
    Breather hoses engine.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 17
Hey Tim, did you fix the issue?!

The MAF is awaiting fitting, having arrived whilst I'm on holiday. Plan to fit it next week and see if that cures it, otherwise I may get the car into Avantgarde to be looked at. I think it is an air issue - whether vaccuum pipes or MAF I'm not sure. Hopefully a simple fix. Famous last words.

The MAF is awaiting fitting, having arrived whilst I'm on holiday. Plan to fit it next week and see if that cures it, otherwise I may get the car into Avantgarde to be looked at. I think it is an air issue - whether vaccuum pipes or MAF I'm not sure. Hopefully a simple fix. Famous last words.

I asked for a particular reason...I can’t send you a PM as I don’t have enough posts at the mo, not sure if it’s the same the other way round?!

I asked for a particular reason...I can’t send you a PM as I don’t have enough posts at the mo, not sure if it’s the same the other way round?!

Hi - I can’t PM you either; but as you are aware the car is advertised for sale on pistonheads. If you’re interested then please get in touch via the PH ad link. Thank you.

So the new Bosch MAF hasn't cured it. If anything it has made it worse. It nearly stalled when trying to get into reverse on my driveway. May try and limp it to local garage to have the fault codes read - although no warning lights coming on.

Hi - I can’t PM you either; but as you are aware the car is advertised for sale on pistonheads. If you’re interested then please get in touch via the PH ad link. Thank you.

Ah yes, of course. Will do mate. I found you on PH too.

Hope you get to the bottom of the hesitating etc.

C55 air intake
bAv1HJr

MAF removed and I’m looking for obvious problems. The pipe work looks ok to me but am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom