C55 or Boxster S 987 or MK Indy R1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Movi-Star

Car
Black 2005 C55 AMG
Ive spent the last 2 months waiting for a black C55 to come up for sale, with the exception of a few overpriced examples nothing decent has become available, now my attention is being drawn to other cars.

Seen a nice black Porsche Boxster 3.2S the 987 shape 2005+. And then theres the 10 plate MK Indy R1, I've always fancied a bike powered car, its a box that needs to be ticked in life!:D Love the Exige but just a bit to expensive.

In all of these instances I would keep my C220 CDi to do the daily routine & take mini movistar to the nursery! and have one of these for weekend use.

Anyone with any experience with the 987 Boxster S or Bike engined cars, I know the bike cars need a engine rebuild every few k.

I had a 987 Boxster S, brilliant car, balanced, responsive, good ride, handles like a dream. Rather different style to the C55 though - suggest you have a test drive.

Why do bike engined cars need rebuilds every few k miles when bikes don't?.
Bikes have pretty short service intervals, all mine have been at 4k intervals which is short but definatly never needed a rebuild.

Stress, basically. You're carting around something like 3 times the normal weight for the engine.

Stress, correct. But I suspect this will be a fairly low mileage, fun car. The MK looks the business, as do all Lotus 7 variants.

If it between the boxter / c55 . Go for the Boxter better looking ( c55 v dated/ dull) boxter drives/ handles ten times better than the c55 (boring )

How do you work that one out? The C55 is a much better car than that poxy old porsche!

Porsches are jumped up beatles anyway, and the boxter is for people who cant really afford a 911. Im sorry i cant stand them. Also dont think a c55 looks dated. Its far from boring with a 5.5 V8

Jumped up Beetle or 911-light it may be, but it's pulling 300kg less than a C55, and the handling is light years ahead. Despite being down 100bhp, it's only a half second slower to 60, and technically faster due to not having a limiter (although this is a moot point)

Straight line grunt is all well and good, but the C55 is no fun in the twisties - look at the OP's other lines of interest.

How do you work that one out? The C55 is a much better car than that poxy old porsche!

Porsches are jumped up beatles anyway, and the boxter is for people who cant really afford a 911. Im sorry i cant stand them. Also dont think a c55 looks dated. Its far from boring with a 5.5 V8

the boxter a true sports car compare to the c55 much more fun to drive, the design of the old boxter to the new shape boxter is v close were as the c55 to the c63 are worlds apart

If you're going to keep the c220cdi as the family chariot, i'd consider the porsche as a weekend car. The handling is very good and if you enjoy driving, you will prefer it more than the C55 as a weekend thrash.

These are two different cars, I did consider a Boxster S when I was looking for a 2 seater and driven a 2010 Boxster and Boxster S for 48 hrs with the must have PDK gearbox and they were great cars etc and would make a good weekend car but then I decided to go for the SLK55 AMG :D

IMG0049.jpg

IMG047.jpg

IMG046.jpg

IMG0408-1.jpg

1645870-1.jpg

slk55 was a brilliant car and it might not be as accurate as the Porsche but it's allot more fun with the V8 sound track but just wasn’t big enough for me.

Ohh I also drove a 2010 Audi TTS for 24hrs, which drove like a golf gti, very good manual gearbox though.
IMG068.jpg

IMG065.jpg

Now I have a C55 AMG, Which I prefer over the slk and the boxster, just simply perfect and handles very well too and in a straight line it will eat the boxsterS and a some 55 reg 911 cerrara 4 S cab..;)

You wanted a C55 AMG for a long time why don't you wait for the right one? I don't see the point of having two cars as I did and I always wanted to drive the better/faster one, lol.

I saw allot of black C55 AMG's come and go... you will not find a decent one with low milage for less than 16K.

Over all the C55 AMG wins hands down... and not because I now have one.. honest:D:cool:

I'm talking from my experience of driving these cars and not some troll who haven’t driven the cars!:thumb:;)

Good luck with your next car buddy!

depends on what you are after.

I went from a CLK55 (208) to a Boxster 3.4S .. I wanted a change from automatics, and I wanted a soft top. Tried an SLK55 -- same engine as the CLK with 7 speed gearbox. I found it jittery with a brittle ride -- and not different enough. Was not interested in a Boxster until I had one for the weekend. Then I was hooked.

So I bought a Boxster .. loved it and still do, nearly 3 years later.

I started to miss V8s, so eventually got a CLS55.

AMG V8/V8K: amazing grunt, wonderful soundtrack, think and you're there type performance. Surprisingly agile. Superb brakes. Very comfortable cruiser.

Boxster: steering feel to die for, sublime handling, athleticism, agility, incredible flat six howl. A car you really have to drive. Excellent brakes. Responsive. A true sports car. Pretty good ride too. You're 'connected' to it. Very rewarding.

I don't know which I would choose if I had to.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your replies, I see a lot of positive talk about the 987.

They are 3 very different cars to choose from, the V8 cruiser, the sports car and the more hardcore track car. My head gets further muddled when I watch my Silverstone track session from last year in the Evo IX and I want to still do that! Then my brother has just bought a highly tuned Impreza and he will be tracking that, and Id have to watch with envy!!:) The MK Indy R1 would see him off!!:D

Im starting to get withdrawl symptoms about not having a fast car, its been 2 months, feels like 2 years! Do they sell a nicorette style patch for not having your fast car fix!!???

Another positive for the Porsche is there is plenty of choice out there.

Keep the comments coming thou.

don't take any notice of that benzed up guy next he put up more pictures from the Internet telling us he driven , vayron, enzo, slr, but his c55 is still the best . If you want a 4door why not go for the m3 ( twice the car of c55 ) but if it for weekend car take my advice go for the boxter .

don't take any notice of that benzed up guy next he put up more pictures from the Internet telling us he driven , vayron, enzo, slr, but his c55 is still the best . If you want a 4door why not go for the m3 ( twice the car of c55 ) but if it for weekend car take my advice go for the boxter .

All opinions are welcome here. Respect what each person says, whether you agree or not. Remember, we tend on this forum to get on. That doesn't mean we don't fall out at times, but usually it's soon forgotten and we move on. No wat i meen?

Having owned a couple of Boxsters and a C55, I have to say they are pretty hard to compare. Clearly they are totally different in what they do, and both seriously accomplished machines. For me the breadth of ability the C55 has and it's all round usability, would trump the Boxster. There's no getting away from the fact the Boxster is a superbly balanced and satisfying machine, but it isn't quite as all round usable and certainly not quite as well equipped as a fully loaded C55. The C55 is also much more subtle, and a bit of a Q car, which is either something you get or you don't.

Dhard - to say the M3 is twice the car a C55 is, leads me to believe you either haven't driven both, or you are missing a brain cell or two. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're talkin' stoopid!

Both

Get the AMG and a little one for Sunday afternoon in the Sun

See what,s in my Garage

Last edited:
Having owned a couple of Boxsters and a C55, I have to say they are pretty hard to compare. Clearly they are totally different in what they do, and both seriously accomplished machines. For me the breadth of ability the C55 has and it's all round usability, would trump the Boxster. There's no getting away from the fact the Boxster is a superbly balanced and satisfying machine, but it isn't quite as all round usable and certainly not quite as well equipped as a fully loaded C55. The C55 is also much more subtle, and a bit of a Q car, which is either something you get or you don't.

Dhard - to say the M3 is twice the car a C55 is, leads me to believe you either haven't driven both, or you are missing a brain cell or two. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're talkin' stoopid!

your missing the point the guy said he wanted a 2nd car for weekends ect that why the boxter is the best option , and as for the m3 in 10 year it will be a classic were the c55 won't

your missing the point the guy said he wanted a 2nd car for weekends ect that why the boxter is the best option , and as for the m3 in 10 year it will be a classic were the c55 won't

The thread title "C55 or Boxster S 987 or MK Indy R1" - suggests the OP is considering all three options as opposed to specifically looking for a weekend car.

As for an M3 being a classic - that's a stretch, the E30 M3 perhaps is a modern classic. But today's mass produced M3 a classic?? The C55 won't be a classic either, but was produced in pretty tiny numbers and is a rare sight. M3s, good cars though they may be, are hardly candidates for classic status. M3 CSL? That's a different story.

For me it would be between the Boxster and the C55, couldn't be doing with all that rebuilding of the engine malarkey, I like a car to be there and ready to use when I want it.

We have a 986 Boxster and it is fantastic and from what I understand, the 987 only improves on it.

If your keeping your C-class as an every day car and want a weekend toy then I would lean towards the Boxster, as for me if I had a C55 or regular C-class that I could use I would use the C55, as like Benzed up said, when you have a faster, nicer, better specced car, you would want to use it.

If the SLK55 fits ins your budget, then i'd think that is worth a look as its would scratch two itches in it being a sports car and an AMG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom