C55 or E55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobra7

Car
M5
I'll be putting my C43 up for sale shortly, MOT tomorrow so then good to go. Have been driving a E280 Sport since Dec and perfectly happy with it bar one negative, it is gutless, well it is compared with the C43!! And it's just not sensible to be running the two cars at the moment.

So now thinking of getting into a E55, preferably 05 plate onwards. So any pointers / advice on what to look out for will be fab.

Or should I be looking at a C55?? More exclusive perhaps??

For me it's a e55 all day long with that supercharger, more options and for me I prefer the size of the E

Another one for the E55. Smoother effortless supercharged power and a very nice place to be.

Many years since I got rid of mine,and the car I still miss the most. :(

No experience of the C55 but E55Ks are great...

:bannana:

The W203 C55 will be a lot cheaper to run (no air suspension for starters) but given the choice, I'd take a W211 E55 all day long; that supercharger whine is very addictive and hums the words "faster, faster, faster"

I'll be putting my C43 up for sale shortly, MOT tomorrow so then good to go. Have been driving a E280 Sport since Dec and perfectly happy with it bar one negative, it is gutless, well it is compared with the C43!! And it's just not sensible to be running the two cars at the moment.

So now thinking of getting into a E55, preferably 05 plate onwards. So any pointers / advice on what to look out for will be fab.

Or should I be looking at a C55?? More exclusive perhaps??

E280 gutless:eek: Its got to be the 55, just remember its a 10 year old car, make sure the box has been done every 40k, plugs at 50k and all servicing as it should be, the rest of the consumables nearly the same price as the 280.

I run my 280 so i have an emergency funds pot for sbc airmatic........ and the 55 is my toy for the weekend, a 280 gutless well it is against the beast, but then it is against most things in a brutal straight line:D

SPX said:
The W203 C55 will be a lot cheaper to run (no air suspension for starters) but given the choice, I'd take a W211 E55 all day long; that supercharger whine is very addictive and hums the words "faster, faster, faster"

^^^^^^ this.

Mines epic

I use my C55 as a daily. It's cheap enough to run!

E55 if it's a weekender though, I reckon.

Cheers guys for replies.

Feeling more inclined to go for the E55, based on additional space / options. Decent low mileage one on trader at the moment but seems a little high at 14k? Only 44k on clock and does look well optioned though. Would prefer black to silver but don't seem so many about. Did they do any other colours at all??

Low miles but overpriced for a 53 plate, and not that many options, distronic sunroof keyless etc, however less to go wrong, more like 10k to 11k ish, and that's only because of the mileage, probably usual dealer quote "just had a major service" means oil and filter change.

History is very important with these cars is it MB service history or a well respected MB indie ?

Good luck with your search

£14k? That's a bit rich even at that mileage.

When I was thinking about selling mine not so long ago - I was contemplating around £10k and that is a 54 albeit with 85k but a minter nevertheless.

Would prefer black to silver but don't seem so many about. Did they do any other colours at all??

Black and silver are the most common. Mine is dark grey which I've not seen another E55K in the same colour - and I've seen a red one previously.

Most will be black or silver...

Decided to keep then Johneboy or would you consider selling again?

Well, the one thing I can tell you about these cars is that they are really very good - and I am finding it very difficult to go through with selling it.

This is my 15th car which I've for 4 years this month - the rest have been over 21 years and apart from the M3 Evo I had (which was better handling and incredible fuel economy for the power), this car is the best yet.

They infect your soul!

Mine is not standard either - should be running at around 580BHP > 600BHP but the intercooler pump is fooked. I was starting to get used to it nearly a year ago and so fitted Kleemann headers, X pipe, EC pulley and EC remap as well as one of Imran's finest exhaust systems. It's like it has had it's ass set on fire now when you press the loud pedal.

As for selling, I don't think I could get enough for it for it to be worth me selling. I've just had to replace two rear shockers, the Airmatic pump and alternator. I've still to do some suspension bits which have play and the IC pump as above.

That lot is over £2k and counting - so make sure you have a contingency fund! I doubt a warranty will cover any of it as well - so I don't bother with one.

I believe TDE1 (Tim) and ricky_s might be contemplating a sale of their examples. I think Tim's is standard and Ricky's is modified... both black.

Different beast to the one I remember then, John!

Even before what you have now had done, it was a very, very fast car :eek:

:thumb:

Different beast to the one I remember then, John!

Even before what you have now had done, it was a very, very fast car :eek:

:thumb:

Yes, quite a bit more oomph and noise on full tilt but subdued with normal driving - which is exactly what I wanted.

Be interesting to see what speed we could get up to on Vmax now although I imagine in the early / mid 180s probably!

When is VMax and is it a closed event thanks .
Never been to one they looks like a great day out .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom