C55 rarity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EDIT:
what's the "clicking stepper motor issue in the dash" issue ??

Common issue so it seems. When you turn the ignition on, a number of servos, or stepper motors, initialise behind the dash that control various flaps and vents in the ventilation system. The issue is that the plastic arms on some of these motors can strip or split so the motor just turns inside the arm which is where the click comes from. Depending on which one(s) has/have gone, it can be a right pain to sort as it means a total strip out of the dashboard. Apparently a very expensive dealer fix due to the labour time (about 8 hours I think). I am not phased at sorting this myself as I have stripped plenty of dash's out before. It's just finding the time at the moment. The clicking lasts for about 30 seconds, and then its gone till you next turn the ignition on. Living with it for now :)

That happened to me on the first day of ownership.....straight to merc dealer, dash out and off road for 3 days. All under warranty. Unfortunately a couple of screws were left out so had all sorts of vibrations and irritating creaks around climate controls. Sorted with black tie wraps though..lol.

ah thanks for the info, i assume that if the noise is the motors turning in the plastic fittings, then the fittings aren't operating as they should ?

Correct. I need to see exactly which vent isn't working properly, but so far all the important ones seem fine. Perhaps it's stuck on open.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

when it comes to vents, don't assume anything, the oddity i found was that top one, that looks like a speaker grill, i assumed/expected it to operate with the screen demist option, and it doesn't, it operates with the air straight out towards the cabin setting :confused:

I sold mine last month was advertised on here I replaced it with a C63. Lovely cars proper rare sight on the road only around 125 of them.

I had the stepper motor issue on mine I can concur it is an 8 hour job lol mine happened to be the most awkward motor which was the one that controls the flap for the carbon filter in the air box.

Although I miss it I had to scratch the C63 itch....

Vealige

Is the c63 twice the car? I'm trying to look at this from a value perspective.

A fantastic c55 can be had for 10k (yes it's older and more dated) but a fantastic c63 is mid 20's if not more.

I sold mine last month was advertised on here I replaced it with a C63. Lovely cars proper rare sight on the road only around 125 of them.

I had the stepper motor issue on mine I can concur it is an 8 hour job lol mine happened to be the most awkward motor which was the one that controls the flap for the carbon filter in the air box.

Although I miss it I had to scratch the C63 itch....

yeah, i wish i'd seen that sooner lol

I am seriously thinking about buying an old sh!tbox to drive about in to keep the miles down on mine, and only use the C55 perhaps a couple of times a week. Also minimises the risk of bumps in it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

i couldn't do that, i'd want to drive it all the time :D

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking about buying an old sh!tbox to drive about in to keep the miles down on mine, and only use the C55 perhaps a couple of times a week. Also minimises the risk of bumps in it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

I really don't see the point in that. Its a practical comfy 10grand Merc.

I think it depends on a lot of factors. How far your driving, if your parking in risky areas, if you spend a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic. These things can cause you to 'fall out of love' with any car.

My friend drives a really nice A5 3.0 Quattro and thinks I have the right idea with a daily driver and a toy (the c43) for weekend fun. I have to admit I do agree with him, it means the novelty never wears off and you enjoy the car.
Albeit my daily is a 4.3 v8 too....:D

My C55 is my practical car as my daily is a moped and train :D My fun car is a Boxster :D I think the C55 looks quite non-descript and blends in reasonably well.

Vealige

Is the c63 twice the car? I'm trying to look at this from a value perspective.

A fantastic c55 can be had for 10k (yes it's older and more dated) but a fantastic c63 is mid 20's if not more.

Technically 3 times the car if you go for a post 11 model like I did.

In many factors yes it is, the exhaust note alone is just brilliant. It helps mine has the IPE manifolds fitted makes it proper loud and aggressive! Overall the C63 is a much more aggressive car to drive, it's a more raw experience. Obviously everything is much more up to date.

The C55 is a much smoother car to drive and the rare factor is such a draw to me. The C63 handles better uses similar amounts of fuel and the gearbox in the C55 is a lot smoother in my opinion then the 7 speed in the C63.

In all honesty they are such different cars I loved my C55 but the C63 is the best car I have ever owned it's a real drama to drive daily and puts a smile on your face everytime you turn the key. Downsides are it's not good for your licence!!!!!

C55 values will more then likely rise for very tidy ones due to its rarity I certainly sold mine for more then I paid for it 2 years ago.

Great response - and some food for thought
My heart states hols out for a c63 for all
That you state above , the head (and bank manager) favour the c55!!

Great response - and some food for thought
My heart states hols out for a c63 for all
That you state above , the head (and bank manager) favour the c55!!

I test drove C63's at the local dealership twice, and they are fabulous. For me though, they are just a bit too "shouty". I don't so much mean the noise, that's lovely! It's the looks - they are quite aggressive, and I much prefer my AMGs to "wear a dark suit and carry a big stick". The 55 is under the radar until you are past and they clock the four tailpipes and realise what has just blown them into the weeds.

lol, yeah, i like the understated look of the C55 and the, as someone put it, less "shouty"

think i'll keep an eye out for one

I test drove C63's at the local dealership twice, and they are fabulous. For me though, they are just a bit too "shouty". I don't so much mean the noise, that's lovely! It's the looks - they are quite aggressive, and I much prefer my AMGs to "wear a dark suit and carry a big stick". The 55 is under the radar until you are past and they clock the four tailpipes and realise what has just blown them into the weeds.

I do prefer the w204 shape over the w203 in genera terms.
I don't mind the aggressive tweeks, but I do love the C55.

Here in NI, I see on average 1 c63 every 2 weeks or so.
I don't think I've ever seen a C55, seen 2/3 C32's and 4 C43's

is there anyway to find a more specific break down of build numbers? I'd be interested to find out how many black estate C32's there are for instance.

I remember when I had my E36 M3 people would quote how many of each colour were made etc.

is there anyway to find a more specific break down of build numbers? I'd be interested to find out how many black estate C32's there are for instance.

I remember when I had my E36 M3 people would quote how many of each colour were made etc.

I seem to remember reading there were only 55 uk C55 estates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom