C55 to CLS55 "cross"grade ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, by "ever faithful" I meant "doesn't blow up"! ;) But I've not seen any engine/gearbox complaints in the forums around this combo, so assume not!

Agree on garage queens .. though 60k is reasonable for the age. I've asked a couple of sellers to tell me the last 3 years worth of miles so I can judge recent use.

Can you help me out with a couple of VIN reports in terms of what's an optional extra and of them, what's actually worth having? I've coloured red what I think is of at least vague optional worth:

Car 1:

Parameter Value
11N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
221B SIGN COOLANT/REFUELING - ENGLISH
241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
280A LEATHER
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
288A LEATHER - GRAY
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION 537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
770 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
775U BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC CLEAR COAT PAINT
806 YEAR OF MODIFICATION
819 CD CHANGER
863 TV-TUNER DIGITAL TO ANALOG
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
881 REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
H05 TRIM PIECES - ELM TREE WOOD OPEN-PORED (2B19)
M001 ENGINES WITH SUPERCHARGER
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)

Car 2:

Parameter Value
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
221B SIGN COOLANT/REFUELING - ENGLISH
241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
280A LEATHER
281A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE 390 LINGUATRONIC-ENGLICH(BRITISH)
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
433 LEFT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT 434 RIGHT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
731 TRIM PIECES - WOOD BURRED WALNUT VENEER
770 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
805 YEAR OF MODIFICATION
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
819 CD CHANGER
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
881 REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
F219 MODEL SERIES 219
FC COUPE
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
M001 ENGINES WITH SUPERCHARGER
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

Parktronic and bi-xenon are standard on the 55.

TV tuner is worthless as we're not analog anymore, though it may mean it's got video inputs which I believe opens other opportunities.

A low mileage garage queen is likely to suffer more niggles than a regularly used properly maintained high mileage car.

Age will degrade components equally but the daily driver will more likely have these identified and replaced

So what's wrong with a properly maintained low mileage car that doesn't have any niggles that MB can find despite their best efforts, other than it being more attractive to most buyers obviously :)

The seller usually wants a significant premium over the going rate for such a beast?

Some of the TV tuners say Freeview .. that was only ever digital wasn't it? Not an issue anyway, can't imagine using it often! Maybe a DVD video to keep the kids amused in a car park ..

Parktronic and bi-xenon are standard on the 55.

I didn't think Parktronic was. I've seen a few listings not mention it and the front bumper look completely smooth. I found a US PDF on standard kit and it listed Parktronic as an extra for both base model and AMG (not that the UK necessarily is the same).

A year ago I was wanting an AMG V8. I looked a lot at the CLS and E but for me given this was meant to be the practical complement to a moped and a 2 seater, try as I might I had to pass on the CLS. Size wise I just didn't need it want the bulk of a CLS or E and found the C55 the perfect car :D

I've just done a 200 mile round trip, Nottm to MK and back - avg 24mpg, and other than the crap weather and traffic was a lovely drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything over 20mpg counts as a non-guilty long drive ;o)

When I drive to Hollyhead from London, I get 25mpg-ish up to Wales, then I go over Snowdonia and it drops like the far side of the mountains! Also a massive challenge to get the 290 miles to the Tesco filling station near the port on one tank (C55 has a stoooopidly small tank!) ..

So option 810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM interested me. It's a HK system already isn't it? What's the premium upgrade? Which options are really worth looking out for?

You'd be amazed what isn't "standard" on AMG models, I remember seeing an E55K for sale and the only options it had was Xenons, 6 CD changer, heated seats and memory drivers seat - no COMAND, and not even parking sensors! So I very much doubt HK will be standard.

The options I have to have:
COMAND
Parking sensors
Heated seats
Memory seats
CD changer

Options I'd like to have:
HK (standard system is good imo)
Adaptive Xenons
Rear blinds
Distronic
TV
Boot closer
Dynamic seats

Try and find a Designo edition... Mine is fully loaded except for distronic

Is there any way of knowing which edition it was (other than if the seller claims so!)? I mean I can do the VIN check, but it will just give me another long list right?

Btw, this is what I had based my previous assumptions on:

http://www.mybenzguy.com/DOG/2006/CLS-Class_my06.pdf

Obviously not UK spec, but perhaps not so different ..?

Try and find a Designo edition... Mine is fully loaded except for distronic

Designo isn't an edition, it's just the higher priced leather options etc which can be had on any spec car.

Oh ok I stand corrected ... Sorry newbie error [emoji23]

I was in a situation where i gave up a Lexus ISF V8 for certain reason and got into a 320d BMW.. after a few months the itch of having another V8 was evidant. So i started to look into the market and 1st option was a M3, but i wanted a smooth drive with some moves like jagger.

PING!! the CLS came up as the one i decided to go for, i always had been a fan of it unusual looks and dropped back.

Look in the market for a few weeks i went to see one in Bolton (which now belongs to Bigrich). It had all the toys you can ask for in a CLS, for whatever reason i didnt buy it. That csr set the barr very high in my search, but guess what. . If F#%$# had to find one with all that designo stuff and extrsa.

So i decided im going to give up some extras for a low miler, thats when i saw my one it done 61k balck with beige interior.. and guess what its got command sat sav, adaptive xenons, heated seats, rear sensors (front are £200 to fit professionally) memory seats, lingo thing (quiet handy when driving). What im trying to get at is you hardly use the extras.

So dont worry about the extras and just get one.. you will have a smile stuck to your face when you drive it and feel that low end torque.

Very smooth and sound great, not like a 63, but not far off either. Good luck in your search.

Just a guide for somthing with 60k on the clock you'll be looking at £14-15k in black.. and Black it looks the best.

Don't be put off about high mileage on these cars or even high number of previous owners. Its rare for anyone to own such a car and abuse it or neglect it. FSH is vital and all-round general condition as well. Break pump, airmatic, electronics etc. should all function well. If not you could be looking at silly repair bills. They are great cars though, surprisingly tough and extremely fun. I own a black CLS with black leather and it has all the toys except for a sunroof, rear blinds, cooling and massage seats and distronic all of which don't bother me as the windows are tinted anyway and the seats are so comfy who needs a massage...

Everywhere I go I get looks and people comment on it. It is such a lovely looking car that hasn't dated at all, if anything it looks quite fresh compared to the more square looking and tough edged new CLS.

I'm in two minds what to do with mine as I hardly drive it, less than 10K miles in almost 3 years of ownership and that includes about 5 round trips to London from Newcastle and a few round trips to Birmingham too. I just love it though and miss it when I haven't been it it for a while and I know I'm never going to own a better car pound for pound.

The 55 will only become a future classic IMO as well. 63s are very common, especially the new shape ones.

I would recommend a CLS55 to anyone. Just keep a few K tucked away in case of some silly bills cropping up. Look after it though and don't skimp on the smaller things that need done and happy and relatively inexpensive motoring will ensue!

Wise words from ^^^! I have done very little miles on almost 3 years of ownership (just over 4k) and loved every minute of it!
They are amazing cars and not only have I never owned a car for so long, I struggle to see what I would replace it for £ for £, and not forgetting the exclusivity, as they are not that common.
Mines currently showing around 92k, it was owned by a lady for 6 months and then bought by the 2nd owner who I bought it from. As Lee stated, its surprising whats an extra on these beasts and was pleased to find one with not only the colour combo I wanted, it also has a high spec, to name a few, to give you an idea what was available as options:
Parking sensors F&R
HK sound
Keyless entry
Keyless go
Rear elec blind
Heated & cooled front seats
Rear heated seats
Memory seats
Adaptive Bi xenons

It doesn't have dynamic seats or distronic

I bought mine on 81K I think and it has just reached 90K plus. I'm the 7th owner, 2 were garages and 2 were lady owners, the last being a lady owner. Her husband had a CLS63. She part exed mine for a Range Rover. I studied the car like mad, all the pros and cons, the costs, what goes wrong, the good the bad and the ugly and decided f@ck it, its my dream car and I'm going to own it and it has been a joy.

I would say I've probably spent 1.5K since buying it - spent on battery, alternator, 4 new tires, service/MOTs, suspension work, plastic under tray and wheel arch trim as a speed bump chewed mine, detailing etc.

When I first bought it the brake pump was broke basically and the dealer and Merc replaced it/fixed it which I believe was a 2K plus repair job and is quite common on these cars.

I've just had mine back from Merc recently actually and they say it has a good general bill of health but brake pipes at the rear are corroded badly they claim and quoted me almost 800 quid to repair. I'm dubious to say the least.

The keyless go/entry thing is dodgy as well and they quoted me 500 quid plus saying new door handles are needed. Again I'm dubious!

I never use it so its not a big issue at the moment anyway.

Again if you look after them and actually use them which I sadly don't do enough of with mine hence little niggles and issues like batter, alternator etc. they are one heck of a car for the money. Even an abused or neglected 10K car will be worth the money unless the engine or gearbox are shot which is going to be highly unlikely with this car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom