C55 to CLS55 "cross"grade ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
Coming up on 5 years owning my C55 .. hard to believe! Love it, and early on replaced just about every fault it could have (thank Olly!!), but now looking for a change. C63 touring would be perfect family wise, but they just ain't shifting in price so something will have to jump the gap.

Which brings me to a CLS55. They look great on the outside (while being pretty familiar inside to the C55!) and the supercharger should add some new character to the also familiar engine :)

I've seen a few threads on CLS55 ownership and read through, so not looking to re-hash all that again, but would appreciate some C55 to CLS55 direct comparisons in ride, power, noise, running costs, etc.

Ideally I want about 60k mileage, black and a few choice options (cooling seats would be nice, both ends parking sensors mandatory for .. sharing .. the car!! :wallbash:).

Oh, and if anyone has a burning desire to get hold of a C55, mine will be on the market assuming I get a CLS55 sorted out :bannana:

Firstly, interior wise the two models are quite different. The CLS is streets ahead in the luxury and comfort stakes. Ride is much more controlled in the bigger car, riding on AIRmatic.

No idea about ',noise' ... wind and road noise much reduced in the CLS, also it's a strict 4 seater so if an estate C is your ideal not sure the coupe would cut it.....

Last edited:
Yeah, the 4 seats over 5 comes with the condition of a second small car for local driving (no bad thing) and the odd capability to ship more bodies around! The estate comment is born of wanting to get some bikes or other large luggage on board ;)

Forgot about the airmatic. I drove an S350 for a couple of weeks and although that's a far more "wafty" car, you could certainly feel the difference.

Noise .. yeah, cabin noise is nice to know about, but really I meant exhaust =)

I've not experienced the C55 but I can say the exhaust note from my CLS55 is very intoxicating :) it begs you to press that throttle just a bit more ;) and then the whine from the supercharger kicks in and wow! Before you know it you're into licence loosing territory.........

whitenemesis said:
I've not experienced the C55 but I can say the exhaust note from my CLS55 is very intoxicating :) it begs you to press that throttle just a bit more ;) and then the whine from the supercharger kicks in and wow! Before you know it you're into licence loosing territory.........
yes I'm into that territory every time I get into my Cls ;)

The two cars are totally different, interior is far better than c class and comfy imo. Get a cls55 AMG and you will kNow the difference immediately and love it.

I'm going to have a look at one next weekend. What kind of price do you think I should be looking at given my criteria above? I've seen a few advertised £15k plus, but then -£5k contrary advice in the forums! I know black attracts a premium, but I'm ok with other colours which aren't white or silver!

I get that it's a slight step up in cabin, but how does it feel to drive between the two? Does the extra length (and presumably weight) make it feel less spritely in the bends or does the suspension and supercharger make up for it?

At first the extra size and weight does make one a little cautious but be brave and the AIRmatic tightens up nicely to control the mass into and around the bends. Be careful with the low down torque coming out of the corners, very easy to exit sideways!!

I fond myself driving at surprising speeds around the narrow lanes of Devon, Cornwall and Cumbria....

C55 to CLS55 "cross"grade ..

I've come from an RS4 to the CLS55 and I've not regretted it one bit. It's effortless and glides along then when you want to hoon it press the loud pedal and whoosh... I'm not overly impressed with the stock exhaust note, I would prefer a little more burble. For a car that weighs more than 2 tons it goes round corners well even though it's on air. Naturally the RS4 was much more nimble, but the ride was very hard. £15k should buy you a very good example and I would buy the best you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very interested to get in and drive one :) Hopefully this weekend. I'm expecting it to be about 2-5mpg worse than the C55 in normal use (possibly!).

Interesting on the money, £15k almost looks like base money unless it's over 100k miles. Seen a load around £9k on eBay with mega-miles. Not so many close by so will have to keep a hawkish eye out ..

I'm averaging 13mpg! But it's new and I'm just getting used to it [emoji12] .. Town driving I've been getting 15/16 and on a motorway run got 28! Don't get too hung up on mileage, if it's a good clean car with full history no reason mileage should be an issue.

I'm about 20-24mpg on motorway mixed long runs. Maybe 16-18mph "urban" if it's free flowing; probably ~13mpg if not. Doesn't sound too dissimilar ;o)

Oh .. the missus got 30mpg up once for a few mins! She's normally about 25-ish on motorway runs.

Mine had 92k on the clock when I got it, don't worry about mileage.

Snap

I've read a bit about both of your cars some other threads :) Useful stuff .. and love your dedication KHz to doing a whole heap of hard work over time!! :thumb:

I assume the 5.4, even with a blower attached, remains ever faithful attached to that 5 speed box? My worry with high mileage is just wear and tear .. electronics specifically. Yes, an 11 year old car is 11 years old and anything that goes brittle or otherwise wonky will likely surface either way, but 100k miles vs. 60k miles is an awful lot less human and air contact!

Overthinking it ..? :dk:

I would rather find a cherished "higher" 100k mileage one than a low mileage and keep the change in the bank for eventualities.

I've watched CLS55 values for years and although they've bottomed out to an extent, there's still plenty around the £10k mark that, given the right checks, should give you plenty of enjoyment.

I crossed over 41k the other day...must get out more :)

A low mileage garage queen is likely to suffer more niggles than a regularly used properly maintained high mileage car.

Age will degrade components equally but the daily driver will more likely have these identified and replaced

AlanD;2313001 I assume the 5.4 said:
Yes the s/c 55 engine has the 5 sp auto box same as the C55.
The torque is too much for the 7G box to handle in safety. It has far more torque than the 6.2n/a engine:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom