c55 - what to look for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
We need a new small family car so what better to team up with an e55 estate than a c55 estate. I drove one when I was buying the e55 and it seemed brisk enough - it's the wife's car mainly ;-)
Same base engine but what to look for?
Rust seems to divide opinion have been galvanised but that doesn't mean anything after a while and c203 do rust well. Are c55 any diffferent really?
Do they have the same tech as the e55 - SBC etc
Any properly expensive bits other than 16 spark plugs?
There's a silver one on ebay at 112k which doesn't look too bad.
Any and all info gratefully received whilst I trawl the search results.

We need a new small family car so what better to team up with an e55 estate than a c55 estate. I drove one when I was buying the e55 and it seemed brisk enough - it's the wife's car mainly ;-)
Same base engine but what to look for?
Rust seems to divide opinion have been galvanised but that doesn't mean anything after a while and c203 do rust well. Are c55 any diffferent really?
Do they have the same tech as the e55 - SBC etc
Any properly expensive bits other than 16 spark plugs?
There's a silver one on ebay at 112k which doesn't look too bad.
Any and all info gratefully received whilst I trawl the search results.
It’s almost certainly the most reliable AMG engine, and most affordable to maintain.

Facelift cars, are less likely to suffer badly with rust, but they still do. All C55 are facelift models.

Great car, great value.

Sounds promising. Do they have air suspension?

Better and better. Might be worth a look then.

Can someone get me a vin please, I seem to have lost the ability now the websites have changed. Km54yeb.
Thanks

Here is some information from a former MB mechanic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The lack of air suspension SBC etc is the reason I went for a C55 instead of an E55 for my first AMG, that and the fact that I didn't need a car as big as an E. Its only after I bought it that I discovered how rare they are (Estate). Pretty low tech but ticks most of my boxes. It's my daily drive and my only car. Just turned 130K on the clock.

The lack of air suspension SBC etc is the reason I went for a C55 instead of an E55 for my first AMG, that and the fact that I didn't need a car as big as an E. Its only after I bought it that I discovered how rare they are (Estate). Pretty low tech but ticks most of my boxes. It's my daily drive and my only car. Just turned 130K on the clock.

So how have you got on with it, reliability and running costs wise? MPG? - got to better than the e55!

I have not re set the one trip meter in the 20 months I have had it and I think (not at home right now) it's 22.4 mpg over approx. 12K miles. All sorts of driving. It uses one litre of oil between services (well inside MB limits) . Slight gaps in the service history so I changed the sparkplugs and ATF fluid 'just in case' I have heard The plugs can seize in the head if not replaced at 50K , got the AC re gassed works 100%. I banged in a pair of K&N filters, some say don't bother stick with MANN but they are in now and staying in. pollen filter was dirty and about £12, 2 minute job. had both rocker cover gaskets changed , one had a tiny oil leak but it dripped on the headers and stank so it had to be done. Rear brake pads can be from £12 to £50 your choice , same with rear discs but from what I hear may as well go with MB genuine (Brembo) for what I see cost wise. I will be doing front brake discs soon. Rust on rear wheel arches starting to show. tyres can be anything from budget (not for me thanks) to massively overpriced , lots of choice for the size rear rims are 8.5 inch so you can go up to 255 from stock 245 if you like, looks a bit better but not sure if it makes any real driving difference. Heated seats , ass pads don't warm up but lumbar do, fixing it is not worth the effort for me personally. Mine has started to get a bit 'creaky' from the rear suspension recently and I will get it on a lift and see what's going on. I have measured the ride height on both sides and its level but it could still be a broken spring. A great car for the money and easy to service yourself if you don't need the indi 'stamps' in your book.

Excellent Pete, many thanks. Out of interest which part of the world are you in?

Sorry Natacha, Sir probably isn't appropriate. And you were being nice too. Apologies.

At that mileage if I was buying I'd want to see plenty of evidence of spending underneath on tired worn suspension components,shocks springs bushes arms etc..which will all be tired on 112k original car,friend of mine bought a leggy C55 and spent a small fortune fixing stuff,rust will be another issue underneath as well as arches etc,always worth running the MOT history to see what the story is with a car thats been four times round the globe!

Here is some information from a former MB mechanic.
Excellent vid, thanks for that.
Rust seems to be more of an issue on the older c203s but obviously something to look for. MOT history is fine. Usual stuff and yes a lot of it is suspension related. 112 is hardly mega miles for an 05 car and it will have been through several sets of bushes/struts etc so it just depends where it is in the cycle.

Gear paddles shifts rather than buttons - were they an option or an evolution? 05 cars seem not to have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom