C63 2012 Query (Newbie buyer)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C63Sean

Car
Currently a winter Hack but looking at C63 PPP
Afternoon Hi

Newbie here, first post so be gentle!

I've been lusting and saving for a C63 for some years now and finally find myself in the position to buy one. I've found one for sale which meets my desired criteria perfectly. Estate, Red, Black interior, PPP, low mileage and price not far off where it needs to be. Condition, history and viewing aside it'll do the trick. I'm off there tomorrow afternoon.

Of course prior to buying I'm doing my research and have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable lot.

Firstly, when I type the reg into a number of places to get info back It comes back as a Merc C63 AMG DR520. As far as I know it's not a DR520 as they only made a tiny number. Any reason why this would be the case?

Secondly, the last MOT (2018) showed an advisory for worn brake discs. Since then it's done 7k miles. I'm aware of the potential cost and various 2 piece, 1.5 piece disc options and various codes that are associated with the VIN (which I don't have yet). What I'm struggling to find is a place to actually price up a set of discs and pads other than calling the MB dealer. Where are you buying from? I've looked on EuroCarParts and found ~£690 for a set. Obviously If they are still the same discs then I can negotiate the price around them.

Thirdly, I'm aware that the LSD was an option with later PPP. Can I check physically on vehicle (without doing a burnout off the forecourt) what is fitted? I'll grab the VIN when I view it and double check that way too.

Lastly, research tells me that the engine intake is a different shade of grey on PPP cars, having not seen either grey can someone post a picture compare so I know what to check for? Google images hasn't turned up anything.

Many Thanks in advance

I'll leave the specifics of the C63 to an owner to answer, but be aware if the car you are viewing has Fire Opal Red paintwork, there have been many cars that have had problems with it. So much so that MB have undertaken resprays to fix the problem. Just be aware and check closely.

Once you have the Vin#, stick this site on your phone and you can check all the options fitted when built.
VIN Decoder for Mercedes-Benz

Hopefully this will help...

Firstly, when I type the reg into a number of places to get info back It comes back as a Merc C63 AMG DR520. As far as I know it's not a DR520 as they only made a tiny number. Any reason why this would be the case?
Some online apps are not as updated. There is no DR520 on facelift one. There is a batch of DR520 but pre facelift models.

Secondly, the last MOT (2018) showed an advisory for worn brake discs. Since then it's done 7k miles. I'm aware of the potential cost and various 2 piece, 1.5 piece disc options and various codes that are associated with the VIN (which I don't have yet). What I'm struggling to find is a place to actually price up a set of discs and pads other than calling the MB dealer. Where are you buying from? I've looked on EuroCarParts and found ~£690 for a set. Obviously If they are still the same discs then I can negotiate the price around them.

Try MB Newcastle on ebay or MB Southend.
OEM ones are Brembo made. So you can actually source them from Brembo official authorised dealers.
You can you normal 1 piece disc on PPP cars if you are not tracking. Normal standard 1 piece disc is good enough for day to day driving.

Thirdly, I'm aware that the LSD was an option with later PPP. Can I check physically on vehicle (without doing a burnout off the forecourt) what is fitted? I'll grab the VIN when I view it and double check that way too.
Not actually except through VIN.
Aftermarket ones, Quaife or Wavetrac are easily fitted.

Lastly, research tells me that the engine intake is a different shade of grey on PPP cars, having not seen either grey can someone post a picture compare so I know what to check for? Google images hasn't turned up anything.
Funny that, I search 'C63 intake manifold' under images and I found this....

Intake manifold differences - MBWorld.org Forums

I'll leave the specifics of the C63 to an owner to answer, but be aware if the car you are viewing has Fire Opal Red paintwork, there have been many cars that have had problems with it. So much so that MB have undertaken resprays to fix the problem. Just be aware and check closely.

Once you have the Vin#, stick this site on your phone and you can check all the options fitted when built.
VIN Decoder for Mercedes-Benz

Appreciate the link. I'll do some digging around the paint issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully this will help...

Some online apps are not as updated. There is no DR520 on facelift one. There is a batch of DR520 but pre facelift models.

Try MB Newcastle on ebay or MB Southend.
OEM ones are Brembo made. So you can actually source them from Brembo official authorised dealers.
You can you normal 1 piece disc on PPP cars if you are not tracking. Normal standard 1 piece disc is good enough for day to day driving.

Not actually except through VIN.
Aftermarket ones, Quaife or Wavetrac are easily fitted.

Funny that, I search 'C63 intake manifold' under images and I found this....

Intake manifold differences - MBWorld.org Forums

Top notch work on the image, clearly far superior interneting skills than I.
Good to know about the DR520. I dont suspect for one minute that it was but worth asking.
Thanks for the links on brakes.

Successful first post. Much appreciated.

Discs are around 1k for front, can be had cheaper elsewhere but not by a lot.

As above, fire opal red is a lovely colour, but has major paint defect issues and come re-sale you may struggle to move it on because of this. Most have been repainted but no guarantee of it not happening again.

Check for leaking rocker covers on the passenger side and listen for noisy cam chain adjusters.

LSD can be checked easily with the VIN but as you've said, short of doing a burnout there is no other way of checking.

Good luck, look closely for poor bodywork repairs. Lots of W204's are hiding things...

Is it the one at DT performance btw? I am local to them and have seen a few of there cars before.

PS if you want a second opinion I could potentially come and view it with you. I can bring my depth gauges and check for bodywork issues.

Is it the one at DT performance btw? I am local to them and have seen a few of there cars before.

PS if you want a second opinion I could potentially come and view it with you. I can bring my depth gauges and check for bodywork issues.

Yes it is. I'd greatly appreciate a second opinion. This is my first viewing of any C63 so I'm going in having only done lots of reading. I'll be there for 4:30pm tomorrow (7th). I can meet you just before hand if that works?

I can be there for 4.30 if its helpful. Send me a text message.

I will only be able to have a quick look around as I will need to shoot off but I've seen a lot of these to know within 5 minutes if its worth looking into further or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yex
I found the car on their website. Looks great but it is fire opal red so I would be looking elsewhere if I were you. It’s a great colour but it WILL give you problems if indeed it’s not already blistering. I just would t take the risk sinking £25k on one in that colour, nice as it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom