C63 507 Caught Fire!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bravo05

Birmingham.........originally from Glasgow
Car
Merecedes Benz C63 507 edition
Hi guys,

Unfortunately had some trouble with my 507 yesterday, ended it up with it catching fire!!!

24zyrh3.png

I came to a stop and saw a whole load of smoke, i was trying to quickly reverse but then saw a massive flame so i switched the engine off.

2mnq4g0.png

As you see there was flames coming from underneath.

We managed to put the fire out but i feel there is some major damage, as the throttle stopped working, there is wiring burnt, the undertray is burnt, the coolant bottle ruptured so the car lost all its coolant and the steering arm boot has burnt.

I feel the last item, the steering arm boot may have been the cause of the fire, i had work done on the car from a genuine MB dealer and i feel this work was not carried out correctly.

From what I and others have seen the boot has split or come off and then the grease has been exposed to the large heat from the manifold thus causing the fire.

The car has been towed away to be returned to MB and have a full investigation into the cause.

If anyone has any advise on what happens next I would appreciate it, as i'm totally shell shocked that a 70k car would catch fire.

e0odjt.jpg

514gwn.jpg

neulc2.jpg

Jesus, how did you manage to put the fire out?

I had an ML a few years ago and the wiring loom at the back of the instrument cluster caught fire one day while we were driving on the M5 - not a good experience!

maxkirk said:
Jesus, how did you manage to put the fire out? I had an ML a few years ago and the wiring loom at the back of the instrument cluster caught fire one day while we were driving on the M5 - not a good experience!
By the way, without wishing to fill you with dread, the car was repaired by Mercedes in Nottingham and was never the same again. It was in and out of their workshop four or five times and regardless of what they tried, the new instrument cluster never fully worked with either the fuel or temp gauge intermittently not working. I gave up in the end.

It also took over a year for the smell of burning wire to dissipate!

Sorry to hear about this.

The value of the car is not really helping, quite the opposite unfortunately, a high performance vehicle with a large engine shoehorned into a confined space is more likely to see very hot parts in close proximity to flammable material.

Hopefully MB will get it sorted quickly, I believe they will not want to give you any grief about it given that it's their fault and the potential for serious injury or worse.

All the neighbours and family jumped out with hoses and buckets of water.Thankfully it happened near the house and not on the motorway or in a secluded area. The fire engine were there in about 10 mins but we had it under control by then.

Sorry to hear about your car, luckily no one was hurt.
Hope it is sorted to your satisfaction.

I get a S350 as a courtesy car tomorrow but I am a bit skeptical about having the 507 repaired and returned to me, and dont think it is unreasonable to ask for a replacement 507.

You would have to ask your insurance company to write it off to get a replacement.

I can't see that happening.

I doubt the steering joint grease was the root cause.

By the way, the car was repaired by Mercedes in Nottingham and was never the same again!

Nottingham dealership doesn't seem to have a good report going on about them...I won't be going there for sure!

I get a S350 as a courtesy car tomorrow but I am a bit skeptical about having the 507 repaired and returned to me, and dont think it is unreasonable to ask for a replacement 507.

Gutted news Bravo, you could throw a legal letter at them for a replacement but as Dm mentioned I think you'll find it hard to push , as long as they can return the car back to you like new.

It may work out the dealer , for there sake are better taking the car in , so you never know ...fingers crossed for you pal! :dk:

The steering boot was replaced at Birmingham MB around three months ago and that is the area where the fire started. The bonnet and wings are fire damaged as well though need to wait to find out full extent of damage, perhaps it might be a right off, dont know.
Dont feel comfortable taking a fire damaged car back, was lucky to escape unscathed yesterday, last thing I want is too be driving a car with doubt in my mind. Will see what MB report back.

Sorry to hear this, main thing is that you at yours are ok. How old is the car?

Sad news.

I've got to ask, why did the steering boot need replacing in the first place?

There was a issue and when I took car to Birmingham MB they said there was a problem with steering boot and they replaced it. We are just speculating on how the fire started at the moment though you can see from the pictures the steering boot has been damaged and the fire started in that area.
Not sure about taking legal advice just yet, will wait until I know all the effects.

Jeez Bravo. Lucky escape there.

I'm sure you will keep us updated on the Mercedes Dealers performance on this.

Good Luck with all the faff that follows next.

I suspect the fire started above and dripped down, setting fire to the steering gaiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom