C63 507 Edition Wide arch project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next question is, do I do with 507 Wide Edition, or Edition 507?

Sorry the thread hasn't been updated for a while, it's been slow going on the Coilovers

I've also had some major services done to the car including new injectors, mainly for piece of mind that they don't fail and kill my engine.

As for coilovers.. its taken some time with Ohlins to get all the parts we needed, and Covid restrictions have slowed this considerably due to lack of staff, loads of testing, geometry measurements, spring rates, also had to have some custom machined top mounts, and new rear top mounts.
All the parts are finally here, they are being dyno'd as we speak to get the valve adjustment ratio spot on.
All being well I should have them in the next month.

Also now having a custom made badge that sits alongside the /////AMG.
had some massive fails, so went back to drawing board with a fellow forum member.
Ohlins is very nice and have used several options of both fork internals and R&T forks plus rear shocks which both have infinite adjustment possibilities and probably the best aftermarket service of any suspension company. I bet it is good working with them on your coilover project.

I think that designs #5 and #7 look the best as the capitalised words stand out more.

Just came across this thread, something special there.
Lee, was looking at your engine detail, which I am going to more or less copy on my S63 Coupe. One question, I recently bought a small steam cleaner & was wondering if you thought it was a good idea for using it on the under bonnet components. My thinking was its more localised than using a hose with less chance of getting water into any electrical components

Lee, have you considered changing your number plates to blend in with the green theme. Rolaplates do theserolaplates1.jpgrolaplates.jpg

Ohlins is very nice and have used several options of both fork internals and R&T forks plus rear shocks which both have infinite adjustment possibilities and probably the best aftermarket service of any suspension company. I bet it is good working with them on your coilover project.

I think that designs #5 and #7 look the best as the capitalised words stand out more.
Hey buddy, in short, yes, its been great working with them, both parties have have so much knowledge, I know a fair bit about Ohlins and suspension when it comes to bikes, but working with cars is completely different.
Thankfully I'm in good hands, when your working alongside a company that race and develop chassis design for Mclaren its a little overwhelming.

The kit itself is the R&T kit, the very same i had on the bike, only difference really is the valving and internals, we could have just gone with an adjustable damper length to save time, although it wouldn't really be a good idea long-term esp if more people are going to buy the kit.

As for the badge design, I'm still on the fence atm.

Just came across this thread, something special there.
Lee, was looking at your engine detail, which I am going to more or less copy on my S63 Coupe. One question, I recently bought a small steam cleaner & was wondering if you thought it was a good idea for using it on the under bonnet components. My thinking was its more localised than using a hose with less chance of getting water into any electrical components
Tbh buddy, using a steamer is ok, although I've never had an engine bay that needs it., I see so many people using jetwash on engine bays, when it really isn't necessary tbh.

Modern engine bays are pretty water tight, just cover the alternator. Then go straight in with either a good APC, cover in SF via a cannon or foamer, allow to dwell along as possible then rinse via the jetwash without any pressure, I've found it best to divide the bay into sections, clean and rinse each section as you go. If you have a blower it help push the water out of all the areas where you can't hand dry.

Wow stunning Lee. I am in the fence with my e63s estate. Currently at satin black and can’t decide where to go next. Your next step was certainly well thought out and perfect.

Back again.

Moving on from the last post, no coilovers yet, mainly due to Covid and brexit etc causing huge delays on parts and fabrication.

I do have some other updates.
Since the build started I've been on the fence about Side skirt extensions and front lip,
1. I didn't want carbon fibre parts.
2. Having the kit could make the car look like something out of Maxpower.
3. Styling, all kits I have found extend so far out from the arches and look as if they need to be inline

Well, moving on, I looked even further and have been considering something slightly bespoke to get the best look I can, after what seemed endless decision making, looking at pics etc I finally thought "F###k it, just do it " worst case I don't like it and I'll sell the kit on.

After several purchases being delivered to check on quality, fitment and style I ended up with a full kit from Unit 17.
This kit is only available in Carbon Fibre but quality was top notch.

So after some calls to Golding Barn Garage and several trips down, we came up with a plan.

The rear bumper skirts and front lip were an exact fit, but the skirts were too wide and didn't fit the profile of my sills due to the custom arches, so 15mm needed to be cut out and scribed into the profile to get an exact fit.
Still adamant that I didn't want carbon fibre I decided to have the kit painted in Gloss Black to match all the other trims.

Then once fitted I removed the front stone deflectors to modify them in the same profile as the skirts so that it all tied together.
I've got more deflectors on order so I can make another set for the rear arches, once those are on it should look perfectly aligned.

20210511_071931.jpg

20210511_072013.jpg

20210511_072623.jpg

IMG_20210509_180630_180.jpg

IMG_20210509_180630_143.jpg

Now thats done, I can make the same again to fit flush with the rear skirt and taper up to the highest point of the 507 decals
20210511_145657.jpg.

That's it for now guys, till next week anyway when it goes in again for some interior work.

Thanks again for the responses guys, I'll keep updating as things progress 👍 😀

IMG_20210509_180630_129.jpg

20210511_072842.jpg

Good morning, hope your well.
We are almost there now with the Ohlins, just waiting on the Ohlins Damper for the fronts, the rears are complete, but the front was delivered with an M12 Thread when we needed it made in 14mm, so had to order then again, all the bespoke parts from Ohlins have a extended manufacturing time atm, so it's taken ages, we have had notification from the UK Ohlins importer that they are on route. So fingers crossed 🤞.

Moving on with the skirt extensions, I've now made and fitted some smaller stone guards for the rear bumper sections to blend them into the arch profile too, although they are so discreet you probably can't see them.
IMG_20210707_174214_787.jpg

And yes, you've probably noticed that I've continued with the De chrome in full now, despite my concerns about the overall look, I'm really happy with the result.

20210530_151702.jpg

IMG_20210607_101550_395.jpg

Next up, some subtle changes to the interior trims, It was originally Gloss black but the no matter how gently I clean it, they always become slightly marred from fine dust removal, now changed to Brushed Black Carbon steel finish, in textured Avery Dennison Vinly.

20210612_101731.jpg
20210612_101738.jpg
20210612_101807.jpg
20210612_101821.jpg

20210612_101829.jpg

I finally took the car to a C63 AMG Club meet a few weeks ago, it was great showing the car off amongst other owners, it seemed to attract some attention, with quite a few saying it looks far better than the pictures I've posted, even some admitted they didn't like it untill seeing it in person.
These Pics were taken by some fellow owners and kindly passed onto me.

IMG_20210628_173659_974.jpg

IMG_20210628_173659_880.jpg

FB_IMG_1624810453872.jpg

Now moving on, I'm now considering changing the rear wheels from 19" to 20" with a lower ET of 25 to give more concave to the wheel, and changing the tyre size to 295 25 20, not only will this look better, it will also make the rolling radius even closer to Oem., its not definite yet as I still have some calculations to do after having the Coilovers fitted.

Thanks again for all the interest and comments.

You may recall that I was an early supporter. Really like what you have done/achieved..................inspirational.

My view is that it has turned out even better than I imagined.

:thumb:

Every time you post more pics, Lee, I just seem to say WOW and this time is no different, the car is Awesome. :) 👍

You may recall that I was an early supporter. Really like what you have done/achieved..................inspirational.

My view is that it has turned out even better than I imagined.

:thumb:
Hey buddy, I do, you were infact the 1st person to responded to the thread.

In honesty, while still ongoing with very subtle changes , its actually turned out better than I thought too.

As always the car looks stunning i do like the slight little tweaks aswell its a credit to you 😀
Cheers dude.

Can't wait to get some pics of the coilovers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom