C63 507 power steering pump and rack fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ant922599

Car
C63 AMG 507
Hi all

Just waved goodbye to my 507 As it left on the back of a flat bed truck after what sounds and looks like a power steering pump and/or rack failure. Fortunately I was about a mile from the house when it happened.

I am however very worried as I had just changed tyres to 245 fronts and 265 rears (Michelin PSS) and was driving home when it happened - id done about 15 miles.

I'm obviously worried that MB will say the non OEM size has caused it.

Has anyone had any similar problems? I know a 1 size wider tyre is a really common 'upgrade'.

Car was new in Oct '13 and I've now done 13k miles.

Cheers,
Ant

Cant see the tyre size making any difference that would cause a failure.

can you not just plead ignorance if they mention the tyres????? You took it to get the tyres replaced and assumed the tyres that are fitted are the correct ones???

Fluid loss? There was a 507 that caught fire not long ago due to a power steering fault.

Fortunately the fluid loss only really started this morning when the car was being moved to be loaded onto the truck, so it was cold. Bloody good job it wasn't on the drive back from the tyre fitting then by the sounds of it, as that involves 15 mins on a dual carriageway!

I really hope they don't say the wider front tyre put unnecessary load on the steering components...

I really hope they don't say the wider front tyre put unnecessary load on the steering components...

They shouldn't and if they do, what they are really saying is the car can't cope with it's designed payload (passengers & luggage) either. If the tyre fitters didn't damage something then odds on it won't be the first 507 to have the same fault.

Ant,

Can I ask what warning you got of the problem? As I also have an Oct 13 507.

thanks Alex

Hi Alex

It started with a drone that I initially thought was a motorbike in the distance. I soon realised the noise was following me as it started getting louder. At this point there was no noticeale problem with the steering though.

It was only when I got into the estate where we live that it really started groaning. As I was parking on the drive it was really loud at anything other than dead centre.

I didn't move it until the next day when the truck came to collect. A bit of slow manoeuvring later and it had dumped all the fluid on the floor.

An update though - all fixed!!!!! MB called about 5pm to say it was a hose that had worked its way loose. They suggested it might not have been torqued correctly from new. I haven't had a proper chat with the guy yet so can't offer any more technical comment I'm afraid.

So, I am very happy, but a bit alarmed with the comment about it not being done up properly to begin with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom