C63 air conditioning condenser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigboylee

Car
C63 coupe
Hi I have a 2013 plate c63 with no air con working. I need a new condenser for it. Main dealer quotes £2300 ?? Can anyone please recommend a good indie in the Heathrow area I could trust with my pride and joy pls. Thanks

Prestige Car Service in Horndean, a short drive down the A3.
PCS is also a forum sponsor here too.

Mac Aircon

An excellent mobile service. Mac replaced my condenser a little while back after diagnosing a leak. His quoted price was what I paid, he kept me informed by text of what was going on (condenser ordered, condenser arrived, I'll be with you in an hour etc.). Highly recommended.

Do you mind telling me how much it cost pls. I believe it's a front bumper off job?

I'm not sure, it was either £400 or £470 which of course included a full drawdown and regas.

The bumper did indeed have to come off and as Mac predicted, the pipes had corroded and were well and truly stuck in the condenser. Lots of banging and a cup of tea seemed to sort it.

If all the gas has gone you will need to replace the dryer as the system will be full of moisture. If you don’t there will be more corrosion and the system will not run as cold.

The main dealer quote how much was labour to replace the Compressor. If the compressor has failed internally it should still have gas in it so the dryer will mot need replacing. I have never replaced a drier in any of my cars and been servicing A/C for many years. Some manufacturers I have worked for would not replace driers under warranty repairs on A/C systems.

Is the dryer not integral with the condenser, if it is you would have to change out the complete assembly.

Condenser or compressor, the dryer is cheap, like 10-15 euros.
I needed gas [one of the few things I can't do myself], and the mechanic told me the merc condensers are prone to pitting corrosion due to bug acids.
New condenser; 60 euros
new gas; 45 euros

I'd check autodoc on the compressor, and breakers yards too.
I've done some AC work.

And do put a new dryer on it, it's worth it.

Guys, the OP corrected himself as he meant compresser NOT condenser.

Normally a new compressor would be £200 to £300 as your car is late I would imagine it would have variable displacement instead of a clutch pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom