C63 Air Filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartK

MB Enthusiast
Car
F82 M4
Right so I've had an annoying pulsation of the brake pedal, steering wheel since I've owned my car. I've done nearly 15k miles in 6 months so it's not really got worse but recently it's started to bug me more and more.

The vibration correlates with a cough from the exhaust every couple of seconds/fire at idle. You can feel it through the car now almost a slight rock.

It obviously pops and bangs for the exhaust at overrun due to primary cat delete.

Checked the oil bang on and interestingly since I serviced it at MSL a couple months/4500 miles ago it hasn't used a drop whereas it used to do a litre every 2000-3000 miles.

Now at 36k my spark plugs were changed and air filters were change at MB Birmingham.

Car is now on 50700 miles. I have read up the slight vibration/cough at idle could be clogged air filters?

1. Does MSL change them at A service?
2. Is the interval really 36k miles!?
3. What else could it be its driving me insane?

I use VPower fuel only by the way. My exhaust get very black and sooty suggesting air/fuel mixture?

Economy is just the same as it always was.

Have you opened the airboxes and checked the filters Stu?

Although MB Birmingham have indicated the air filters were changed, we know from posts that dealers don't always carry out the service items they are supposed to. Not saying MB Brum have, but its a possibility you could check by looking.

If they look dirty, get a couple of BMC air filters from ECP as they are under £50 each at the moment. Edit...or get the cheapies! lol
Clogged air filters make a big difference to performance I found.

Have you opened the airboxes and checked the filters Stu?

Although MB Birmingham have indicated the air filters were changed, we know from posts that dealers don't always carry out the service items they are supposed to. Not saying MB Brum have, but its a possibility you could check by looking.

If they look dirty, get a couple of BMC air filters from ECP as they are under £50 each at the moment.
Clogged air filters make a big difference to performance I found.

Yeah I'm going to open them up the weekend. I mean the car shifts as it always did. It's just mainly at idle it rocks a bit slightly.

Just ordered BMC's from ECP next day delivery!

Last edited:
Is this not a fairly common merc v8 trait across the range ?

Even dating back to the late 90's- early 00's , mine both do this to an extent - one more so than the other

Is this not a fairly common merc v8 trait across the range ?

Even dating back to the late 90's- early 00's , mine both do this to an extent - one more so than the other

Don't know but I've driven another and don't remember it doing it

Surely if the filters were blocked/clogged you'd notice an issue at WOT rather than at idle (?)

Surely if the filters were blocked/clogged you'd notice an issue at WOT rather than at idle (?)

I thought that but I have to say I'm only going from feedback read online :)

This:

100 times over.

I thought that but I have to say I'm only going from feedback read online :)

If TB-L gave us the internet so we could smear ****** all over the world, his dream is fully realised when engines are discussed.

Is this light tapping/pulsating sensation coming through the brake pedal when idle?
Not sure I feel it through the steering wheel but I can definitely feel something through the brake pedal of my car.

I mentioned it when it was getting serviced and they didn't find anything wrong with it.

I think there was a thread here awhile back where someone described similar symptom and it ended up being something to do with spark plugs?

Is this light tapping/pulsating sensation coming through the brake pedal when idle?
Not sure I feel it through the steering wheel but I can definitely feel something through the brake pedal of my car.

I mentioned it when it was getting serviced and they didn't find anything wrong with it.

I think there was a thread here awhile back where someone described similar symptom and it ended up being something to do with spark plugs?

Yep this but it's got worse and now the exhaust is popping every so often at idle and the car is ever so slightly rocking.

It's worse after driving it hard then coming to a standstill. It's smooth for a few seconds then when the idle settles down it does it.

Doesn't sound like air filters at all from what you're describing. Worth taking it somewhere for a proper diagnosis IMHO :)

Doesn't sound like air filters at all from what you're describing. Worth taking it somewhere for a proper diagnosis IMHO :)

Yeah well I've bought filters now so I'll pop them in but I need to get it somewhere :(

Nightmare

Just to confirm, the A service is really just an oil change so no filters changed at all.

Mrhanky said:
Just to confirm, the A service is really just an oil change so no filters changed at all.

Depends on the age of the car some A services request new air filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom