C63 AMG 507 winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks @Steve84N .. I am opting to use the 19's I have because they sort of make the 507 look special otherwise with the 18's my car will look like a fake 507.

However, lots of issues finding the right tyres with the 19's and the rears.

Don't blame you for using the 19s, they look very nice.

On the other hand, winter salt on very expensive forged rims...

I gave up on finding tyres for my 19s as the very few that are consistently available for front and back are stupidly expensive.

Hope you find something suitable.

I've finally found stock of the same brand and the size I need and ordered them.

I went for the:

Toyo Snowprox S954 255/30 R19 91W XL, 3PMSF
Toyo Snowprox S954 235/35 R19 91W XL, 3PMSF

Fingers crossed. Only ones could get a size so taken a calculated risk.

Cool. Take it easy on dry days though, there's way less grip unless it's really cold!

I use the Michelin Alpine on my winter car (VW Golf TDI) and find them extremely good, they're wet weather performance is also very good.
I know this is not a direct comparison for a RWD V8 super saloon and I have no idea if they're manufactured in the correct size for a C63 but I rate them. I think and winter tyre is a sensible option for most cars, if used as designed they add an addition layer of protection. The laws of physics play a big part, if you're pulling out of a junction or onto a roundabout in wet/damp condition and you expect the same levels of grip as a summer tyre on a summers day you'll be disappointed.

Thanks @Eddie01 for your input. I will really bare that in mind.

Cool. Take it easy on dry days though, there's way less grip unless it's really cold!

That seems some wisdom there? Did you use this brand or another?

That seems some wisdom there? Did you use this brand or another?

Other brands, but the difference in dry grip is really noticeable in a C63. Well worth it when it's wet / very cold / slippery though!

Just take it easy at first, no problem :) Have a look at that test linked on the first page.

I've finally found stock of the same brand and the size I need and ordered them.

I went for the:

Toyo Snowprox S954 255/30 R19 91W XL, 3PMSF
Toyo Snowprox S954 235/35 R19 91W XL, 3PMSF
I had Toyo Snowprox S953 in past on SLK250, SLK55 and C63. I did survive couple of winters in Europe on them. By winter I mean: deep snow, The Alps, ski resort, etc. Not some small snowfall in UK. I see you're in Surrey, so you should be fine.

Last edited:
I had Toyo Snowprox S953 in past on SLK250, SLK55 and C63. I did survive couple of winters in Europe on them. By winter I mean: deep snow, The Alps, ski resort, etc. Not some small snowfall in UK. I see you're in Surrey, so you should be fine.

Thanks, that is reassuring!

I must admit there is a huge difference with winter tyres on. I've been driving with them for 10 days now... and the car feels much more planted in this weather! Glad I went for them!

I use the Michelin Alpine on my winter car (VW Golf TDI) and find them extremely good, they're wet weather performance is also very good.
I know this is not a direct comparison for a RWD V8 super saloon and I have no idea if they're manufactured in the correct size for a C63 but I rate them. I think and winter tyre is a sensible option for most cars, if used as designed they add an addition layer of protection. The laws of physics play a big part, if you're pulling out of a junction or onto a roundabout in wet/damp condition and you expect the same levels of grip as a summer tyre on a summers day you'll be disappointed.

I have to confess that when I saw this post a few weeks back , I was somewhat sceptical . reading theoretical info about g forces etc, i expected the tyres to really struggle. having spent 5 days and done 200+ miles with alpin PA4s on my car, the grip level is unreal. feels like I'm driving in 35 degrees on summer tyres. it's far to easy to control the car in fact. the only area where summer tyres seem to be better is stopping distances. the winters take longer to stop. of course one could argue that summer tyres in winter are far more entertaining (and they are ) but I have been driving in sport mode in 2 degrees and I can hardly defeat the grip on these tyres. big thumbs up from me ! but like the 507 edition, winter tyre options on my 8.5j wide fronts and 9.5j rears but with 35 profile are very limited indeed

I have to confess that when I saw this post a few weeks back , I was somewhat sceptical . reading theoretical info about g forces etc, i expected the tyres to really struggle. having spent 5 days and done 200+ miles with alpin PA4s on my car, the grip level is unreal. feels like I'm driving in 35 degrees on summer tyres. it's far to easy to control the car in fact. the only area where summer tyres seem to be better is stopping distances. the winters take longer to stop. of course one could argue that summer tyres in winter are far more entertaining (and they are ) but I have been driving in sport mode in 2 degrees and I can hardly defeat the grip on these tyres. big thumbs up from me ! but like the 507 edition, winter tyre options on my 8.5j wide fronts and 9.5j rears but with 35 profile are very limited indeed

What setup are you running? I assume it’s staggered.

I figured it was staggered so I meant size of the wheels?

What setup are you running? I assume it’s staggered.

that is indeed the case. 245 width at the front and 265 at the rear with a 35 profile . the tears took a month to arrive from order stage

Thoroughly cleaned and sealed my new winter wheels this weekend. First impressions are still good grip in the dry but a different, more vague transition from grip to slip. Bring on the slippery and snowy conditions!

W3NrdJs.jpg

I36PsJ2.jpg

VyoWo1Z.jpg

Excellent @Steve84N .. by the way, is this your second winter on those?

Today was a good test for me we hit around 1c today and a little ice. They are worth the money for sure!

I got the car this time last year and spent the first winter on Yokohama Advan Sport tyres which it came with. They weren't as good as Michelin in the wet but I got through the winter unscathed apart from an epic fail to get up the modest hill into our housing development when it snowed. I was pretty much the only car who couldn't and I had to clear the road for several hundred metres to avoid leaving it on the road exposed to danger.

I'm still genuinely intrigued what they'll be like in more adverse conditions but I feel prepared. I hear a lot of good feedback so I'm expecting the investment to be worth it.

On a side note those 18" wheels are my favourite OEM wheel for the 204 C63 and I'm seriously contemplating getting a staggered set to use when I switch back to summer tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom