C63 AMG 507 winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surrey had a lot of ice in the morning and the winter tyres have so much grip. I managed to get to work without the yellow light coming on. I happy that I opted for the winters!

yeah I second the black ice. had some the other night . the PA4 winters had lots of grip in the front , very impressive. The rear wheels though were no match for sport plus and a heavy throttle pedal. i really love the ESP on this car, let's you play around without killing power . on one stretch up a hill in second gear, I reckon I had almost continuous wheel spin for a good 100 meters the ESP just let the wheels spin out and shifting power between the wheels rather than cutting it out.

I’m rocking and rolling in a C220 CDi estate at the moment, and it’s very nice in every respect, but without winter tyres it’s terrible in the snow. When I come to a stop, with my foot on the brake creep pushes the car forwards, causing the front tyres to slide. Not pleasant as taking my foot off then brake isn’t ideal most of the time as I came to a halt for a reason. Not my car, so no winter tyres.

I’m rocking and rolling in a C220 CDi estate at the moment, and it’s very nice in every respect, but without winter tyres it’s terrible in the snow. When I come to a stop, with my foot on the brake creep pushes the car forwards, causing the front tyres to slide. Not pleasant as taking my foot off then brake isn’t ideal most of the time as I came to a halt for a reason. Not my car, so no winter tyres.

Where has the ML gone?

I had my first drive in the snow yesterday and it was very pleasant with the winter setup. I felt no slide or issues with traction. The car felt planted. I am happy I opted for them this year after struggling last year. I think I will always run winters now when driving something 400bhp plus.

Where has the ML gone?

I had my first drive in the snow yesterday and it was very pleasant with the winter setup. I felt no slide or issues with traction. The car felt planted. I am happy I opted for them this year after struggling last year. I think I will always run winters now when driving something 400bhp plus.
We still have them both, mine is at the dealer so they’ve given me a courtesy car.

I used the C220 yesterday, and it surprised me just how difficult it was to drive without winter tyres on compacted snow and ice.

We still have them both, mine is at the dealer so they’ve given me a courtesy car.

I used the C220 yesterday, and it surprised me just how difficult it was to drive without winter tyres on compacted snow and ice.

I hope you get beast back soon.

yeah I second the black ice. had some the other night . the PA4 winters had lots of grip in the front , very impressive. The rear wheels though were no match for sport plus and a heavy throttle pedal. i really love the ESP on this car, let's you play around without killing power . on one stretch up a hill in second gear, I reckon I had almost continuous wheel spin for a good 100 meters the ESP just let the wheels spin out and shifting power between the wheels rather than cutting it out.
Hi MrRight, noticed on this thread you’ve got a current (pre-facelift) C63 estate. Don’t have the post count to PM so thought I’d reply here. How do you find it in terms of day-to-day practicality and liveability? Is it your daily driver? Sounds like the winter tyres have been a real positive? Looking at coming to one from an Audi S4 which is obviously a very different beast, given it’s AWD and has a lot less power... The all-year round usability of a C63 as a “family” car is one concern (and my wife...) have.

Hi MrRight, noticed on this thread you’ve got a current (pre-facelift) C63 estate. Don’t have the post count to PM so thought I’d reply here. How do you find it in terms of day-to-day practicality and liveability? Is it your daily driver? Sounds like the winter tyres have been a real positive? Looking at coming to one from an Audi S4 which is obviously a very different beast, given it’s AWD and has a lot less power... The all-year round usability of a C63 as a “family” car is one concern (and my wife...) have.

it definitely works as a family car and daily driver especially the estate. my wife only allowed me one car and I looked far and wide for the one car that ticked as many boxes as possible and this was the clear winner and a distant second was the RS4 avant and s204 c63.

the areas that aren't quite perfect are the ride which is slightly stiff but very acceptable. fuel economy on the combined for me is around 21 mpg which is not incredible but is not terrible either given it has 700nm of torque and 500 hp. The fun factor though is right up there with any car I've driven including some serious sports cars. it is quite a pricey car and depreciates quite a bit bit is no different to any of its rivals.

I dont think i could find a better balance of thrills and practicality than this car and I looked far and wide. Some do the practical side a bit better, but no estate does the thrills better than this. I never got behind the e63s or rs6 but this is much lighter and while slower , is probably wilder.

Best thing I can suggest is if convenient, wait for the next sale at MB world brooklands and spend an hour in the c63 on their handling course and hopefully that will demonstrate why you don't need an AWD car when the safety tech on the c63 is so advanced. it is not that hard a car to drive and rewards you with a big grin every time you get behind the wheel. it also has a very decent 66 litre fuel tank so you don't have to constantly think about refuelling .

winter tyres address any potential winter traction issues though the winter has only just properly started ! while there is an additional cost , winter tyres should last a few years so net net , they don't burn too deep a hole in your pocket.

I've had mine for a year and provided it is reliable over it's warranty period , I plan to keep it for years to come .

66l is a small fuel tank for 20mpg... It's a pain in the backside on the 204.

What do you prefer about the S205 over the S204?

I finally tested my Pilot Alpin 4 tyres today. They were defeated by ice on a steep hill but ploughed right through 5" of snow. Last year I couldn't move on the crummy Yokohamas.

So far I'm not regretting leaving my winters in the garage this year. Down south here there has been no real snow and as I don't use it for work it is usually well over 5c when I do take it out. My coni 5's have worked fine.

it definitely works as a family car and daily driver especially the estate. my wife only allowed me one car and I looked far and wide for the one car that ticked as many boxes as possible and this was the clear winner and a distant second was the RS4 avant and s204 c63.
Cheers, your answer is really helpful - matches a lot of the things I’ve been thinking or worrying about! I won’t be using the car to commute every day, and if I do it won’t be too far. Now to see if I can make the numbers work...

66l is a small fuel tank for 20mpg... It's a pain in the backside on the 204.

What do you prefer about the S205 over the S204?

I finally tested my Pilot Alpin 4 tyres today. They were defeated by ice on a steep hill but ploughed right through 5" of snow. Last year I couldn't move on the crummy Yokohamas.

it seems like when I do mostly town driving the 205 is far from ideal from a fuel consumption perspective but when I go on longer trips , it is much much better .

I had thick ice on Saturday and the tyres struggled. snow fine but thick ice is a step too far

I need to pay homage to the 204 model. the engine, the sound just can't be beat by the 205, and the linear throttle response. Did I mention that legendary engine ? based purely on sound , the NA wins out. Also with inferior sound proofing, you can rev it out and grin your way to the closest petrol station a few minutes later. Heart says 204 and if my wife let me have it as a second car , I would be very happy indeed. Lastly from a price point perspective the 204 is an easy choice but note possible hidden maintenance costs. My cousin too much prefers his 204 for not having manufactured / fake sound as he likes to point out. The looks too are far more sporty and the drive is one that is akin to an older school performance car . As I only had one car to choose, immediately getting into a 205, the seats and cabin are divine in comparison, note though a cramped footwell area due to the transmission tunnel to the left. The seats hug you and hold you in perfectly. The steering wheel while may not share the same info has better response and is more comfortable. While the 204 will help you rev out in a controlled manner, the 205 just feels like a heavily tuned 204, and is mental , it has too much power low down and will just spin out any time anywhere. it certainly isnt trying to be fast, it is trying to be fun and is a lot more enjoyable to drive (other than the sound as I think the cabin is far too well insulated and this frustrates me in the winter when I have to keep the windows shut ), steer and punish if you want to entertain yourself and not take yourself too seriously . i also have confidence pushing it harder, much harder and it delivers. The 205 is a play thing , with brutal power delivery and pushes you far back into your seat as you hold on for dear life as the rear end struggles to grip anything and just hurtles you forward. if you want to be a hooligan and burn rubber and slide around , the 205s wins out for me The transmission in sport plus is so much better and intuitive too .

so while the 204 is all the car I'd ever need and cant be beat for how it sounds, the 205 with e diff is just more brutal in everything it does and steps up the whole driving experience except you dont necessarily hear it from inside apart from when you open the moon roof or windows which I think is a reason many would still prefer the 204 if given the choice. And of course the looks with proper exhaust pipes rather than the fake rubbish at the back of the 205.

Dumb new owner alert.
Boris is trying to kill me. Now I’m quite happy to go sideways round a modest roundabout but Mrs BCC will be decidedly underchuffed at that thought so, I’m presuming my car (which bad some of you may know has only done 3500 miles) is I’d have thought, running the original tyres it’s had since new.
They’re Contisportcontact3
255 30 zr 19 rear
235 35 zr 19 front
I’m thinking although they have a decent amount of tread they’re probably way past their best (the rears definitely are judging by the fact I can’t pull away in the wet without lighting them up and looking like a right clown even with a light throttle).
Never having needed a set of winter tyre before I see they come recommended in posts above but I’m slightly confused as to exactly what make/size to consider.
If I just whack a new set of normal tyres, then PS4S seem to be the go to boot.
Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks chaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb new owner alert.
Boris is trying to kill me. Now I’m quite happy to go sideways round a modest roundabout but Mrs BCC will be decidedly underchuffed at that thought so, I’m presuming my car (which bad some of you may know has only done 3500 miles) is I’d have thought, running the original tyres it’s had since new.
They’re Contisportcontact3
255 30 zr 19 rear
235 35 zr 19 front
I’m thinking although they have a decent amount of tread they’re probably way past their best (the rears definitely are judging by the fact I can’t pull away in the wet without lighting them up and looking like a right clown even with a light throttle).
Never having needed a set of winter tyre before I see they come recommended in posts above but I’m slightly confused as to exactly what make/size to consider.
If I just whack a new set of normal tyres, then PS4S seem to be the go to boot.
Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks chaps.

hahaha love it !
am I correct in thinking Blackwater where you live is near Camberley? To be fair feathering the throttle is the best medicine except when it isnt which is quite often ! I've had a few scary moments where my c63s is pointing 45 degrees away from straight ahead with my child in the back, so that scared me into getting winters especially as our roads where I am have tons of standing water near the edges and are really narrow so you cant avoid the water.

Tough call re the tyres. my e46 m3 has a set of MP4S and my traction control has stopped working because the steering angle sensor can't work out which direction straight is following a wheel alignment adjustment on Saturday. the tyres have been great but ofcourse the m3 has so little torque that it is very hard to upset the balance of the car even in around 4 or 5 degrees. if it gets even cooler i can do more testing for you if you're not in a big hurry to swap the rubber on your beast, sorry Boris.

my c63s will have winters on soon but the cost vs benefit simply doesn't add up IMO for someone living down souff.

MP4s get my vote. cheaper and can be used all year around except in snow. I'd be very surprised if they didn't impress you compared to those retro conti 3s :) I'm surprised they aren't fully worn out too ! happy to take you for a drive in the m3 so you can see what I mean about the mp4s.

Blackwater Nr Camberley yes, I’m just off Hawley Road at the A30 end.
Wouldn’t mind a blat out in yours if you’re local that would be wicked.
I have a decent coffee machine [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Blackwater Nr Camberley yes, I’m just off Hawley Road at the A30 end.
Wouldn’t mind a blat out in yours if you’re local that would be wicked.
I have a decent coffee machine [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Great , sounds like a plan. I'm near Headley, off m25 leatherhead junction, off the A24. Drop me a PM and let's arrange something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom