C63 AMG 7GTronic Plus - downshifting into 1st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kamalpatel12448

Car
C63 (W204) and C240 (W202) - just not at the same time!
Hi folks,

Want to poll AMG owners and experts out there about something which may be nothing but I've noticed just recently. I have left my C63 gearbox in S-Mode (Sport) for past weeks and notice that when starting up from cold the down shift into 1st from 2nd is quite jerky i.e. you really notice it. This behaviour seems to disappear after driving for a while i.e car is warmed up, oil temps increased etc.

Has anyone experienced this on an AMG or have any views on this?

Thanks,
Kamal

I've heard that C-Class boxes have had troubles with 1st gear which is why I'm driving it in S, whilst I still have warranty! Appreciate you trying this out and look forward to the feedback.

This is a very common complaint with the 7Gtronic 'box. Software downloads and valve bodies have been the solution.

So Olly, its under warranty, what do you suggest the right steps are to get this sorted? Software first?
Thanks,
Kamal
PS. Is that C43 to 55 conversion done - love to see the pics!

If you book the car in to your local dealer and leave it with them overnight so they can do a cold start and drive to see the changes when cold.

If they have a remedy`they should be able to fix it. It is up to them how they go about it.

Conversion done 99% just need to mod some coolant hoses on the C55.

This is a very common complaint with the 7Gtronic 'box. Software downloads and valve bodies have been the solution.

Mine was checked and valve bodies ok and software the latest, and it thumps when cold.

The gbox fluid may be too viscous.

I have noticed now on the move the car is rougher now with the colder weather.

Hi Kamal

i use Sport mode some of the time and yes the 2-1 change is a little jerky but only a little, i was tending to ignore it
Now that you mention it i will look at it more critically and advise
Sport mode is a bit special tho :D

Mika - this depends on how you play with the loud pedal ;-).

Quick update - today I let the car sit for a bit and switched between 1st and 2nd whilst waiting before pulling away, result - no jerkiness on drop down to 1st. Thinking the ATF needs to get around the box to avoid this problem?? Can't believe how low the oil temp is even though it wasn't really cold today (16 to start with!).

Hi folks,

Want to poll AMG owners and experts out there about something which may be nothing but I've noticed just recently. I have left my C63 gearbox in S-Mode (Sport) for past weeks and notice that when starting up from cold the down shift into 1st from 2nd is quite jerky i.e. you really notice it. This behaviour seems to disappear after driving for a while i.e car is warmed up, oil temps increased etc.

Has anyone experienced this on an AMG or have any views on this?

Thanks,
Kamal

Hi i had the same issue with my previous c63

The car had a software update and the "jerk" issue was 99% resolved.

Folks, wanted to update you on this issue we discussed....

I finally took the car into MB Brooklands and they updated both car and transmission software, they went for a road test and checked data being provided. Not tested from cold start as I didn't leave it with them overnight. They said that there are readings/tolerances of up to ±20 and mine were reading ±2 so they were very happy with it. I think they MB were a bit nervous as I asked a lot of questions and I wanted the work done while I waited (free wi-fi and tea provided) so I worked in the nice surroundings of Brooklands for the morning, but very happy with the service I got that day. Another reason why I took it to Brooklands is because they probably have more AMG's coming through the workshop than others, so one can hope they are quicker in getting to the solution.

I've now been driving it for a week in sport mode and the gear changing is much
smoother all round, now going to drive around in comfort mode for a few days and revert back to sport to verify behaviour. The results so far are very good, no hard change downs across any down-shifts.

I know the box will be learning for a while (the way I drive) and not sure how long that goes on for but if you have a C63 and have a 2-1 hard down-shift I would suggest getting the latest software put on it.

Will update on this if the situation changes for the worse and any action taken.

Thanks for the advice to all and all the replies.

Kamal

Mines just started doing this
jerky change down 2-1 especially in sport mode
(note i have been using sport mode most of the time in the last 4 weeks, previously i have almost exclusively used comfort)
i think i will need to be taking it in to the MB dealer some time soon
It has been doing it even in the warm weather in the last few days and does it when the engine is warm too

thanks for your posts Kamal

Isn't this just a 'feature' of the 7G box? my CLS used to be really jerkey 2-1 in Sport mode which was the default.

Try resetting it and then giving it a good thrashing...

Mine does not thump down the way at all, up the way from 1 to 2 when cold.

Its a common issue and software related.

basically the box is crap.

Hi folks - I'd really recommend getting the latest s/w on the box and ecu as it has cured my issues with the 2-1 shift. I also think you really need to take it to someone who sees AMG's all the time, which is why I'm only using Brooklands right now.

Mines just started doing this
jerky change down 2-1 especially in sport mode
(note i have been using sport mode most of the time in the last 4 weeks, previously i have almost exclusively used comfort)
i think i will need to be taking it in to the MB dealer some time soon
It has been doing it even in the warm weather in the last few days and does it when the engine is warm too

thanks for your posts Kamal

Mika, so steps are for MB...

1. S/W updates
2. ATF and filter
3. Valves/Pack

This is based on what the Start says and the results of each step, but for me as I said 1 was all that was necessary. Also, post updates you'll need a couple of weeks for adaptation. I have been driving in S only and it has been fine, but what a difference in driving in C, which is what I've started to do now.

Let me know how you get on and happy to chat about is 1:1 if you want.

Kamal

Somewhat late to the thread, but this problem was driving me nuts for nearly three years. First attempted fix was the gearbox software (well, the first proper fix after a 'reset' was attempted on its own), the second fix was the engine management software.

Trouble is it *needed* both and I couldn't be bothered with the seemingly inevitable 'it's a powerful car, what do you expect' arguments between services so it took ages to fix, but it now changes gear almost imperceptibly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom