C63 AMG - Boot Carpet & Amplifier Location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farhanali89

Car
C63 AMG PPP 2013
Hi All,

I recently took collection of my car with the upgraded harmon kardon sound system, I was looking to add a simple JL Audio W3V3 into the equation for a bit more bass. I have done nearly all the research and purchased all the kit as follows.

JL Audio HO110-W3V3 (Currently run an HO108RG in my Golf R32)
JL Audio XD600/1
Audio Control LC2I (Line Output Converter)

Aiming to keep the set up very simple and maintain the factory speakers but I'm slightly confused in one thing, I was looking to place my amplifier and LC2I underneath the raised metal cover which sits right next to the rear seat bench.

To explain this better, Once the carpet trim is lifted to reveal the spare tyre, There is a black metal cover adjacent to the rear shock absorbers, Would anyone by any chance have a photo of this removed? Also in terms of removing this cover and reinstalling it is it just a case of a few Torx/Screws/Nuts bolting this down.

I have searched on google but not found this cover on many other w204's in photos, Usually it has already been removed or possibly US vehicles didn't come with this?

Any help would be great appreciated:thumb:

You need to find AGW(Audio Gateway) which usually sits on left side boot of your car before, this will be an amplifier (in your case, it would be Harmon Kardon) which convert Optical signal from COMAND to analogue signal to drivers. You need to splice into the sub output analogue cable and then input to your line converter and then amplify and power the sub.

Good practice would be is to check the signal you receive from the AGW and see if its EQ'd. Its not good to use an already EQ'd signal to then drive a sub as you will not get a clean bass.

I used processor called Audison Bitone.1 which De-equilize the signal, processed it, time aligned it and then fed to my amps but its a bit of overkill if you just want some extra bass.

where are you based?

C63 wont have an AGW!

The car is NTG4 or NTG 4.5 so the HK amp is in the boot on the left.

This is a much bigger job than you are perhaps anticipating. You will need to replace the HK amp because its driven via fibre from the head unit. You will then need to code the head unit to output on the speaker level outputs on the rear. Then run RCA cables down the car to the new amp(s), power to the amps from the battery etc. Its a job we have done for some customers. It takes about 2 days to do it properly.

If you simply want to improve the sound then we can offer a decent speaker upgrade which works with your existing HK amplifier. If its just better bass then adding an active hidden bass unit will improve things. Again, not straight forward as you will be dealing with amplified signals from the HK amp. changing just the door speakers for decent Morels or focals will massively improve all the dynamic ranges including bass.

There is also a firmware fix we can apply to the HK amp which will improve the bass!

Last edited:
Alfie said:
There is also a firmware fix we can apply to the HK amp which will improve the bass!

Hi

Would a mb dealer apply this fix if a car is under mb warranty, if requested?

Alfie - it can still work if you take high level input from the HK amp and then feed into a decent processor to then power the amps all in the boot of the car. I did this very job in my W211 and it saves you running too many wires from front to rear. I did have front end speakers changed to after market so i had to run speaker wires from amps in boot but its easier to run speaker wire than thick phono cables. you can use this line converter and get good bass only if HK amp output is clean (i have a feeling it will be processed and very high on lower frequency). In this case signal will be full of bass and if you then amplify that with external amp, the signal becomes very very unclear and reduced quality.

I used processor called Audison Bitone.1 which De-equilize the signal, processed it, time aligned it and then fed to my amps but its a bit of overkill if you just want some extra bass.

where are you based?

Thanks for the input Amo, I have heard of the BitOne and its a great bit of kit but as I'm only intending on adding the subwoofer solely i opted to go for the LC2I only. I am based in Isleworth (West London). A friend has done this set up which i am intending to do but his vehicle did not have the harmon kardon set up.

This is a much bigger job than you are perhaps anticipating. You will need to replace the HK amp because its driven via fibre from the head unit. You will then need to code the head unit to output on the speaker level outputs on the rear. Then run RCA cables down the car to the new amp(s), power to the amps from the battery etc. Its a job we have done for some customers. It takes about 2 days to do it properly.

If you simply want to improve the sound then we can offer a decent speaker upgrade which works with your existing HK amplifier. If its just better bass then adding an active hidden bass unit will improve things. Again, not straight forward as you will be dealing with amplified signals from the HK amp. changing just the door speakers for decent Morels or focals will massively improve all the dynamic ranges including bass.

Thank you for your input Alfie, I currently run a complete set up in my Golf R32 with Focal Anniversary Components Front & Rear with a 8W3v3. I am not looking to swap out the factory harmon kardon speakers at all. Ideally i would like to simply use the AudioControl LC2I and feed this with a bass signal to run the 10w3v3.

Would it not be a possibility to use the signal going to the factory Harmon Kardon subwoofer and route this into the LC2i and then feed the aftermarket amplifier/subwoofer? This is the current method my friend has used in his previous E92 M3 with Logic 7 & Now his factory mercedes set up in his C63

Alfie - it can still work if you take high level input from the HK amp and then feed into a decent processor to then power the amps all in the boot of the car. I did this very job in my W211 and it saves you running too many wires from front to rear. I did have front end speakers changed to after market so i had to run speaker wires from amps in boot but its easier to run speaker wire than thick phono cables. you can use this line converter and get good bass only if HK amp output is clean (i have a feeling it will be processed and very high on lower frequency). In this case signal will be full of bass and if you then amplify that with external amp, the signal becomes very very unclear and reduced quality.

This is the intention and the LC2i is a very well known product for this kind of set up. It works solely on converting a high pass signal to a low pass signal. The LC2I is a powered line output converter. Please see manufacturer specifications below

lc2i - AudioControl

Reading with interest! Something I would consider if I buy C63 and not happy with the bass!
Farghan! Are you happy in general with sound quality of HK? Just wondering how different is standard audio from Hk logic 7?
To add:I run two JL amps in my 350z set up.Good quality amps for sure!!

Reading with interest! Something I would consider if I buy C63 and not happy with the bass!
Farghan! Are you happy in general with sound quality of HK? Just wondering how different is standard audio from Hk logic 7?
To add:I run two JL amps in my 350z set up.Good quality amps for sure!!

I always find that with factory upgrades the complete system is tuned for overall balance. This is also the same with the HK. To add however my friends M3 had the Logic 7 and he used the LC2I to add an 8W3V3 JL Audio (High output enclosure) He took off quite a bit of bass from the actual speakers, Left the mids and turned up the treble.

This basically allowed the speakers/tweeters to peak a lot louder and clearer, The mids remained well balanced but the small 8W3V3 was a nice punchy subwoofer which just gave the logic 7 that much more volume and punch.

My own intention is to do the same with the C63 but i have opted for a single 10w3v3 in a HO enclosure. This is merely so the sound travels enough into the cabin so i can literally do the same with the HK set up in the 63.

You will not be disappointed with the output of the HK but if you are used to a custom set up with a bit more bass and volume using high end aftermarket equipment you will want more "bass" from the system. :rock:

Thank you for your input Alfie, I currently run a complete set up in my Golf R32 with Focal Anniversary Components Front & Rear with a 8W3v3. I am not looking to swap out the factory harmon kardon speakers at all. Ideally i would like to simply use the AudioControl LC2I and feed this with a bass signal to run the 10w3v3.

Would it not be a possibility to use the signal going to the factory Harmon Kardon subwoofer and route this into the LC2i and then feed the aftermarket amplifier/subwoofer? This is the current method my friend has used in his previous E92 M3 with Logic 7 & Now his factory mercedes set up in his C63

This is the intention and the LC2i is a very well known product for this kind of set up. It works solely on converting a high pass signal to a low pass signal. The LC2I is a powered line output converter. Please see manufacturer specifications below

lc2i - AudioControl

you can take high level input from HK amp however Alfie is suggesting more solid job where you can take input from HU. what your friend did is totally possible however you are forgetting HK does alot of processing and then alot of Eqing in the factory amp. when you use a EQ'd input into any processor, unless its going to flatten the signal out, you will not get clean output which then means you will not get very clean bass. It will be fine as most of the signal convertors do an ok job but i would look at something like JL CLEAN SWEEP which does sweep the signal and make it more flat so that the Sub can delivery clean bass.

I have competed in EMMA SQ competitions in past with my W211 where i ran a full 3 way front end plus flat sub in Ski hatch all ran from factory COMAND.

I am only local to you then, happy to help if needed.

you can take high level input from HK amp however Alfie is suggesting more solid job where you can take input from HU. what your friend did is totally possible however you are forgetting HK does alot of processing and then alot of Eqing in the factory amp. when you use a EQ'd input into any processor, unless its going to flatten the signal out, you will not get clean output which then means you will not get very clean bass. It will be fine as most of the signal convertors do an ok job but i would look at something like JL CLEAN SWEEP which does sweep the signal and make it more flat so that the Sub can delivery clean bass.

I have competed in EMMA SQ competitions in past with my W211 where i ran a full 3 way front end plus flat sub in Ski hatch all ran from factory COMAND.

Amo! Is that your day job -audio set up or you just a keen audio enthusiast? What's your location and if you have a website or any means to get in touch if needed? Sorry Im very new on here and can't send private messages yet.Thanks

That sounds great AMO, I may gladly take you up on the offer on assistance as I am a bit nervous on the location of the signals. Im planning to stick with the LC2I and take the signal from either the factory sub/HK amp. The Audiocontrol LC2I has the accubass function which allows you to set the bass input if the factory HK amp reduces this.

I did consider the clean sweep but as I am only adding the subwoofer the LC2i is an active line out driver which can have its parameters adjusted to tune back the bass signal which the factory equalizer removes.

I am only an enthusiast bro. This is not my job however have few decent contacts in business which may be able to assist you.

my posts are simply giving you my opinion, it dont mean LC2I wont work but i was just giving you optimum solution.

Audio bug is such that if you are interested then it never settles until you are fully satisfied with output.

I will pm you my number if you wish to discuss. I am near Southall/greenford borders.

I am only an enthusiast bro. This is not my job however have few decent contacts in business which may be able to assist you.

my posts are simply giving you my opinion, it dont mean LC2I wont work but i was just giving you optimum solution.

Audio bug is such that if you are interested then it never settles until you are fully satisfied with output.

I will pm you my number if you wish to discuss. I am near Southall/greenford borders.

That would be great if you could, Iv practically ordered all the bits & wiring! Going to crack on soon with installing the dynamite once the weather settles. Going to be throwing some in behind the tailgate only. :bannana:

yes please...Im in nw2 area,so not too far..

I cannot pm neither of you have you have less than certain posts.

Let me know if you need a chat and maybe i can share my email on here and delete etc.

If you could that would be great, Ill confirm back once picked up

On a side note :) does anybody know what is under the black metal cover under the boot carpet? I wanted to get an idea of how i could go about mounting the amplifier and LC2I, Any help would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom