c63 amg buyers guide / known issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rezza

Car
saab
Hi, new to the forum and thinking about buying a c63 amg.

Would welcome some help around what to look out for when buying second hand as well as any known issues (had a huge bill last year when the liner split on the porker).

Thanks
Rez

Welcome to MB Club.

You're in the right place, we have lots of C63 owners around these parts.

Welcome. Draw backs....fuel consumption, speeding tickets, tyre cost, points on license, possibly divorce if you obsessive, I could carry on for a while. Seriously, not much to look for other than the usual.

Fuel consumption is horrendous!!! I get 10 mpg in city and most i have ever seen on motorway is 22

Maybe i have a hole in my fuel tank!! I remember 22 was in comfort mode in 7th gear and hardly touched the accelerator for a quite a while

Its defintely the nicest car i have ever owned. I have had my car for 10 months now and every time i get in it, it feels like i just got the car!! Awesome!!! :)

I thought the novelty would have worn off by now

I know of two issues.

Head bolts snapping at the back of one of the cylinder heads.

and cars that are driven very hard for the first 1000 miles tend to use quite a bit of oil.

Pre-mature wear of the leather seats, gearbox sometimes slow to respond if you've been driving sitting in traffic for a while and need some power. Rest of the issues are not really issues, just part of owning a high performance car:

Tyres are expensive
Frequent oil top ups
Lots of V-Power
Expensive insurance
Extortionate road tax

And the best MPG i've managed on the motorway is 27mpg, cruise control at 70mph all the way, and resisting the temptation to go over that speed.

the issues and highlights seem to be fairly consistent

tyre wear rates
fuel consumption
oil consumption
seat wear
squeaky mirrors
fragile lower grilles

to name a but a few

versus

constant smile:D and the ability to make a relatively normal person become totally deluded -what do you mean i'm not a racing driver??:dk:

deifnately a fragile lower grill

also alot of stares when driving by and the constant looks at the red calipers.... you may also be requested to put your foot down....

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Let's bump this thread.

In the years gone by, any other known issues to add?

this is super helpful thanks, sorry to revive an old thread, but for others a PH guide also now exists here

The W204 C63's also have these issues:

Cam adjuster wear - a nasty engine rattle for half a second at cold start.
Worn camshaft lobes and worn followers.
Failed engine mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom