C63 AMG New Owner ( Exhaust Advice )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Williams C63

Car
C63 Amg Coupe
Hi,

Recently picked up a 13 Plate White C63 Amg Coupe after months of viewing bad examples :thumb:

Had the car 2 weeks and it is the best car I have ever owned however the exhaust is so quiet in stock form.

Gone through dozens of threads & posts but after some clarity on modding the standard exhaust as lots are conflicting and confusing....

I am after the AMG true V8 Sound just louder ( Not Mental or Raspy noise ) without removing primary cats or spending thousands on a IPE,FI aftermarket setups.

Options :

1. Is it best to remove the secondary Cats and replace with straight Pipes, then remove the resonator also just using straight Pipes ( No X or H Setups )

2. Some say remove Secondary Cats and replace with X Pipe,then straight pipe the resonator.

3. Remove Secondary cats with straight pipe and X pipe the resonators

:confused:

Appreciate any help

Last edited:
I'm in Yorkshire too (Hull) and i have had MSL do a remap and secondary decat.

Initially I had them remove the secondary cats and also removed the resonator box, but after a week I decided that I wanted the resonator box put back on, which MSL did.

The reason being that when driving the car enthusiastically around town, it was very raspy/blatty and drew too much unwanted attention from the boys in blue and non car enthusiasts, meaning I couldn't give it a boot full around town.

The secondary decat gives it that American V8 rumble, and is noticeably louder than stock, without being over the top. With a remap you will also get the pops and bangs on the over run, this is just as I wanted it and I'm totally happy with it sounding like it should.

Try the secondary decat first, and see how you get on, if you still want it louder than it's just a matter of the resonator removal. But bear in mind it does sound very blatty with the resonator removed.

Thanks for the write up mate that's useful. Think I'll just remove the secondary cats and go from their.

Did MSL replace with just straight pipes and no H or X setup?

I'd take it to them but family friend is an excellent welder so he'll be doing the work �� however might go to MSL for the Remap

Replaced with Straight Pipes, but a real work of art.

ShaunB said:
Really? Its your car at the end of the day, personally I think the cars with straight pipes etc just ruin what is an already fantastic sounding car.

Agree, leave it stock they sound gorgeous i have heard numerous modified c63s they all sound chav/too loud.

Wanting a fine balance but definitely not wanting the raspy typical OTT, sat revving it at a car meet or driving round the streets of London like most U tube videos!!

Previous car was a E92 M3 with Secondary decats and Eismann race back box which sounded great however again the stock car was so quiet IMHO

Anyone who can confirm their setup and a review would be great.

Cheers

Secondary Decat is perfect as mentioned before, you will end up with about a 10% - 15% increase in volume, but maintain that C63 Exhaust Sound.

Dont forget to let your insurance company know you have modified the car in case you need to make a claim or the police stop you.

Good Point : I declared "aftermarket exhaust system" and it made £15 difference to my policy (Churchill).

Good Point : I declared "aftermarket exhaust system" and it made £15 difference to my policy (Churchill).

I think it varies between insurance companies but I do know that if you don't declare a modification then your insurance could be void and you could get done for driving with no insurance as well as the pain of any accidental damage to your or a 3rd parties vehicle. I think some companies will not insure modified cars at all!

Consider something switchable. It's lovely having a noisy nascar sound when running around the lanes for 20 minutes of fun, but the constant droning on a 200 mile motorway trip is just depressing.

Consider something switchable. It's lovely having a noisy nascar sound when running around the lanes for 20 minutes of fun, but the constant droning on a 200 mile motorway trip is just depressing.

I know what you mean ha Would happily go switchable if the price was right, don't want to spend thousands tho so don't think that's an option.

If your from yorkshire your welcome to hear mine with a secondary decat (straight pipes) and remap. I can also give you the contact who did mine in Wakefield and their high rep and quality of work. I am not too far from Huddersfield so if you want to meet and hear mine send me a PM to arrange something.

The secondary decat gives what you are after which is AMG tone but louder, dont take out the resosantor as they dont sound right and loose that 63 amg tone.

The remap just buy the Eurocharged unit and remap from MSL like I did but you can do it from home, they send you the handheld that you can upload different maps and return to stock, plug it in and get the standard file, email it to Jerry at Eurocharged in USA and he sends you a modified file back, upload it to the device then onto your car. Its easy.

Last edited:
There are a few threads on here but I did a write up from my old C63 when I had the secondary cats removed - it sounded fantastic and just what I think you are looking for and is as Jim says above:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/173374-secondary-cat-delete-c63.html

Thanks for that buddy. I have booked in Friday for the secondary decat using straight pipes but leaving resonators alone.

Did you have yours mapped as few members says it also increases the sound or is that a myth?

Cheers

Update :

Had Secondary cats removed with straight pipes with some nice welds.

START UP :

Initially slightly louder but nothing major very close to stock.

NORMAL DRIVING :

Not much overall sound increase, I don't agree with the 20-30% I've heard in a few threads.
Still has the V8 rumble but with a few added pops & bangs but again no massive change.

NEUTRAL REVVING :

Nicer sound with added pops & bands just has more character and depth to it.

SPIRITED DRIVING :

Tried in all various modes and different rev ranges still retains the V8 sound track but nothing overly loud, again slight increase over stock with added pops and bangs occasionally.

SUMMARY :

If you are wanting a ever so slight increase then yes this is for you however I was very disappointed after reading tones of reviews and u tube videos. Maybe with a Remap this car comes alive with sound & power increase but for me next step is resonators out with straight pipe replacement, followed by another review.

Thanks

Straight pipes ftw !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom