C63 AMG vs BMW M4 - Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supaer

Car
Here - C63s AMG - GONE - C63 507 - Here - Golf R - Here - BMW M135i - GONE - M4 Competition
Last week I was lucky enough to be given my friends Bmw M4 for a week whilst he was away. As my C63 is my first AMG I have owned, I have been very impressed with it and completely happy! However having previously owned 6+ BMW M’s I have a slight soft spot for them.

I was always adamant that after my ownership of the C63 I would go straight back to them M4 or 5 door M3 (family dependent).

So just wanted to write a little review on this for anyone who is interested in the M4/M3.

The car is a pearly white with half black and silver wheels. Looks very nice from the front back and side, I really like it.. So jumped straight in and he tried to explain to me, push this button to change the blah blah blah blah blah…… I switched on the car which starts in “efficient” mode, and what a ROAAAAR it makes, no only joking it sounds like a little school boys fart in class. What a disappointment, sounds completely rubbish. So then you push all the suspension, exhaust and steering and it becomes a bit raspier… I am pretty sure that like the new Golf R and some other similar turbo cars lacking in engine noise, the noise is generated through a sound actuator in the engine resonationg noise, because the 3 litre plant in the M4 sounds terrible in its natural state, thanks turbo’s.

The car, no denying once in the right settings it is quick and once you set the loud speaker to make a good noise the rasp and pop from the exhaust is pretty nice, very nice in fact. I found myself accelerating all the way to when the turbo would spool up then taking my foot of and it would make a lovely pop and sort of turbo car fart…. I liked this, but I can’t imagine that this is very good for the car..

Handling wise was good, the car is very twitchy and with those huge 19” Michelin Pilot Super Sports I would of thought that would not have happened. I found it had too much torque and on the autobahn at higher speeds I put my foot down and didn’t feel I had to much confidence with the yellow light flashing so much. Wish surprised me a lot as the M is such a handling focused car, maybe I was doing something wrong. I don’t know. Petrol was rubbish to for how efficient it is meant to be, 19.4 mpg.

Anyway final summary, I am not ready to commit to the turbo generation of cars. I find them boring, not enjoyable and completely take away the specialness of a naturally aspirated engine. I am sure the engineering is top notch and everything is “derived from F1” etc but give me a naturally aspirated performance engine over a turbo’d performance one any day of the week.

Sad times that the great engines of this world are being lost, so I am going to hang onto my little piece of history a while longer.

(Ps I want to upload a picture of them together in the garage, however cant see how to do this)

Same here.
I come from having owned all turbo cars.
(Tuned them till +700bhp)

When I got the C63 we tested it against a mapped M4.
The C63 was quicker of the line and pulled a length till 130/140km/h.
Then the M4 just flew by and pulled an easy 5-6 car lengths till 220km/h.

So yes, the new M4 is alot quicker.
But the M4 owner also said the C63 was so much more fun and feel!

And that's what I was after, after having had the fastest car at trackdays....
Not the fastest but the more fun feeling, the more engaging, the more thrilling feeling.

Don't write off turbo engines just yet - the new AMG 4.0 TT is a peach

I do love the NA over the turbos but hey its the new way forwards I guess

Even Ferrari have gone turbo lol

Don't write off turbo engines just yet - the new AMG 4.0 TT is a peach
+1 Having owned w204 c63 the w205 is no disappointment in sound department, i almost bought one last week but going to hold out until c63s.

Comparing the C63 to the M4 not the C63s

When talking to the service manager at my local dealer, he was telling me he loved that he could hear my GTS (still driving it under 4k rpm) well well in advance of seeing me, and that he knew instantly what it was. Great running/sounding car. I do like the look of the M3 and M4 in the metal much more so than in pictures, but sound wise don't ever recall hearing one even though there are plenty around.:dk:

Turbo is the wah forward since they will be forced to get the same or more power out of smaller and smaller engines to meet emissions.

That's the reason they will never put 6.2 V8 engines in such small chassis anymore. And also the reason i'm gonna hold onto mine :p

I find it apauling that they are tricking ppl into making theor cars sound better through blasting fake engine noise throught the stereo :)

Makes me think of this:
http://youtu.be/hWuZfp9lN3s

Don't get me wrong:

Performance wise a turbo is better for the customer as you can always get alot more power from them alot easier than with NA.

And for that reason a new M3/4 will eat up a C63 NA.

I understand they are quicker and can tune them up etc, my point of this is that I don't like the way a turbo engine'd car feels when you drive it and unfortunately for me this is the way it is going.

My Golf R was turbo'd and I was getting between 21 - 24 mpg
The M4 got 19-21 mpg.

How is it more efficient? Is there something I am missing?

Look at F1 when they turbo'd cars in the last few years it has gotten incredibly boring!

Blue78 said:
Don't get me wrong: Performance wise a turbo is better for the customer as you can always get alot more power from them alot easier than with NA. And for that reason a new M3/4 will eat up a C63 NA.
New c63 4.2 bi turbo engine

I know guys, but here we're comparing the old NA C63 to the new M3/M4.

and altough the old C63 looses out...I still choose it over a new M3/M4 just cause it is NA.

I have a W204 6.2litre n/a and a S205 4.0litre tt.

Nothing to add, just wanted to tell you :D

Drove a 6.2 C63 200 miles yesterday and having driven the new one a lot resent my, getting back in the old one was actually disappointing. Dynamically the new one is way better and I don't think it sounds any less dramatic. At low revs, I actually think it's a better sound.

I wouldn't write off turbos after driving the M4, it's not exactly praised for it's engine sound and all M cars have a very different characteristic to AMG's.

Something to consider is a new shape M6, 4.4 bi turbo, had one for a week in Dubai and I was really impressed. :)

Don't get me wrong....turbo's are def the way forward!
and in a few years when technology, experience gets even better they will be mindblowing. (they already are alot quicker than the older NA's)

What I ment is that the NA cars will be something special as they'll never ever get build like that anymore in the future.
Same thing as the air cooled Porkers, NA is now getting extinct.
Doesn't mean it was better in the old days....just means it's something you need to get now and hold onto if you want one.

I see myself keeping the C63 NA forever and just putting a newer turbo model next to it later on as a daily driver.

a CLS 63S shooting brake would be nice as a daily driver later on.
5.5 V8 Biturbo with 585bhp. mmmmmmm

I am a big fan of the new m6 as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom