C63 AMG W204 Exhaust Tips Discouloured

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigel55

Car
C63 AMG
Hi

Just picked up my C63 AMG W204 facelift. What an amazing car! It will be my daily driver for the next 4 years. (Fuel card helps :))

The car is mint apart from two of the exhaust tips where the chrome has been discoloured leaving a bronze tint. In fact just on the driver's side

Now you may think I'm being over fussy but everyone to their own.

My question: If I want to change the tips do I have to change the complete back box?

If so where is the best place to source a good quality secondhand unit or units if I replace both sides? Or what about an upgraded exhaust?

Cheers

Nigel

congratulations!
have you tried cleaning it first with autosol and a brush?

The tips on my car were really bad when I picked it up; Autosol on an old cloth did wonders for it.
Cleaning it with petrol (whilst the exhaust is cold!) should take the bulk of the deposits off first.

Its 1/3 of the exhaust to change if you have problems with the tips, I got my changed under warranty due to them getting corroded and they still gave me the invoice to keep and it was something like £1400.

Thanks for the rapid feedback guys. Autosol, brush, etc, but nothing works.

I will post and picture over the weekend to get your thoughts on a warranty claim. It does look like the chrome finish has simply been removed from a portion of the exhaust tips - possibly a liquid but that takes some doing since Chrome is extremely hard.

Anyway, still loving the car

Any chance it's just discolouration from heat cycling? - The (stainless) exhaust on my Nissan is blue from the turbo to the first muffler, and golden coloured for a bit after that.

Has the tips been over polished and the chrome has been rubbed off?

Remember chrome is just a thin cover so you may be down to the base metal.

All I use is Autosol and they shine.

If they are well rubbed just get them re chromed.

Have you tried some 0000 super fine wire wool and autosol metal polish.

I seem to remember using some fine 3M cutting compound on mine when I first got it.

Autosol & wirewool. Works wonders. Make sure you have no tar on them 1st as this will drag & scratch (Autosmart TARDIS is amazing stuff). I know what you're tinking "wirewool on metal?" Trust me, it works

Sorry for the silence chaps, just can't stop driving the machine :)

This is such an amazing car. Only yesterday I had a young boy and a post man say to me 'nice car'. The c63As for the chrome tips, my gut feel is the coating has been worn away - which is a shame since £1,400 for new rear silencer assemblies is not going to get past the wife.

Hit return by mistake. What I was trying to say is the C63 crosses all ages ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom