C63 Black Series “replica”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They go for £30-40k, the people on here generally aren't the right market. The Facebook group is far more open to it.

£35k is basically doubling your budget and not everyone can do that. Fairly often (although not these) they are supercharged as well so it's a cracking car if you're not a badge snob.

So for a mint conversion car you're looking at £45k ish and for a genuine BS you're looking at £80k ish. A difference of £35k. When you factor in depreciation on the replica (both of these seem to be getting a bit of a slagging off on here so I'd guess depreciation is high and fast on the body kit and parts and maybe on the underlying car too) and problems when it comes to reselling a replica, I think I'd just go for the real thing if this was a look I wanted.
This is the bit I'm trying to understand. For £35k more you could have the real deal and it probably wouldn't lose a penny in value for as long as you owned it.

Thats my view. The black series won't depreciate.

However, I do understand having something aggressive like Leejv's car and with a supercharger for the reason that a black series can't really be driven, its too valuable. I used to own a mint 1971 W113 280, one of only 4 of its type in the country. I paid £12k for it in 1998, I decided to part with it almost 2 years ago as it became too valuable to drive, its annual cost considering I couldn't really drive it became too high and I cashed out. I looked at buying a lesser car, but they are still £80k and need £20-30k putting into them, so not viable unless you have lots of storage and lots of free cash. I wanted a car to enjoy. So I do get having something the like, but not a replica.

So for a mint conversion car you're looking at £45k ish and for a genuine BS you're looking at £80k ish. A difference of £35k. When you factor in depreciation on the replica (both of these seem to be getting a bit of a slagging off on here so I'd guess depreciation is high and fast on the body kit and parts and maybe on the underlying car too) and problems when it comes to reselling a replica, I think I'd just go for the real thing if this was a look I wanted.
This is the bit I'm trying to understand. For £35k more you could have the real deal and it probably wouldn't lose a penny in value for as long as you owned it.
The starting point probably isn’t £45k for a mint car pre-conversation, unless they person already owned it and didn’t want to sell it.

Many will be average condition or in need of paintwork or repair, which will reduce the start point considerably.

Others want a modified car, with their own look, and starting with a genuine Black Series would be a very expensive start point.

Exactly this - as long as you can service the capital for the initial purchase then cars like the BS can be cost neutral to own.

Not sure about your man-maths Given we have 3 replicas on eBay at much less than £45k, even though none of them may be flawless. But does that really matter so long as you know what you have?

the maths with modded cars doesn’t work out, mostly people won’t pay more for a modded car than the base plus mods would cost. I’ve sunk decent money into modifying a couple of cars in the past accepting I’d never get back what I paid, guess they’d be a bargain if I ever wanted to sell them, and they were to someone’s taste

Even LeeJV’s gorgeous green machine, hate to think what it’s costing but so long as Lee is happy...., but if he ever wants to sell it......unlikely to recoup. @LeeJV not meant as a dig, your car is beautiful, but it’s the most well known modified car on here so used as an example. Hope you’re not offended

and on that basis, the eBay cars no doubt cheaper than building your own

Not sure about your man-maths Given we have 3 replicas on eBay at much less than £45k.

£25k for the base car plus the £20k for the body kit gubbins which someone above said it costs.
The fact the already-done ones for sale are much less than £45k sort of proves the point I was making about depreciation.

Each to their own. I love the way people jump to criticise or condemn others for what they have chosen to do to their car. It’s their car, not yours. They can do whatever they like with it!
Grafting on fibreglass to steel panels will invariably need some further maintenance down the line. They last a few years, hut ultimately the fibreglass will move differently to the steel due to heat/cold cycles and cracks or defects will appear in the paint. If you can live with that, it’s all good. Paintwork is not the end if the world after all

£25k for the base car plus the £20k for the body kit gubbins which someone above said it costs.
The fact the already-done ones for sale are much less than £45k sort of proves the point I was making about depreciation.
Or buy a ready built one and save another £15k and same in depreciation 😂

Each to their own. I love the way people jump to criticise or condemn others for what they have chosen to do to their car. It’s their car, not yours. They can do whatever they like with it!
Grafting on fibreglass to steel panels will invariably need some further maintenance down the line. They last a few years, hut ultimately the fibreglass will move differently to the steel due to heat/cold cycles and cracks or defects will appear in the paint. If you can live with that, it’s all good. Paintwork is not the end if the world after all
Agreed, can’t tell from the ad whether any of them are fibreglass add on kit or have been let in with metal. Not decided exact what I want next, or whether I can fund a real BS, whether I’d be happy with a nicely done fake, or whether my heart lies elsewhere completely

Complete fibre glass kits are about £2-2.5k before paint. Not sure where 15-20k comes from? Those cars are for sale with a tidy profit.

Personally, I'm not a fan of fibre glass. OEM, ABS plastic, CF and metal - if I were to do it (and in that order, i.e. OEM 1st)

Not sure about your man-maths Given we have 3 replicas on eBay at much less than £45k, even though none of them may be flawless. But does that really matter so long as you know what you have?

the maths with modded cars doesn’t work out, mostly people won’t pay more for a modded car than the base plus mods would cost. I’ve sunk decent money into modifying a couple of cars in the past accepting I’d never get back what I paid, guess they’d be a bargain if I ever wanted to sell them, and they were to someone’s taste

Even LeeJV’s gorgeous green machine, hate to think what it’s costing but so long as Lee is happy...., but if he ever wants to sell it......unlikely to recoup. @LeeJV not meant as a dig, your car is beautiful, but it’s the most well known modified car on here so used as an example. Hope you’re not offended

and on that basis, the eBay cars no doubt cheaper than building your own

No Offence taken matey..
I chose to build my own as I have before, the main reason for doing it my way rather than buying one already done is so that I know its been done to the exact way I want it, I can also rest assured that I know the full history of the car from the ground up, This was another reason why I started a build thread on the car, its all been documented with every detail and picture possible.. even though I have no plans to sell it as I wouldn't be able to buy another 1.. Mine is a 1 off (ATM un till somebody replicates it). Yes its worked out far more than buying one already done.
I have yet to find a 507 that has been done this way, so its hard to say for sure if it was more expensive.., I have no doubt that I wouldn't re coupe my costs if I were to sell, on the flip side it could have also cost more buying one already done to then have to do it again because of poor build quality.

The Red one now available for £4.99 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom