C63 Brake discs. The differences.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecain63

Car
'62 C63 PPP Saloon. Red. V5 Map. Remus exhaust. 181mph at Vmax stealth
Correct me if I am wrong please.

Might be worth making this a sticky.

There are 3 different specs of FRONT brake discs available for the C63 if my googling and memory has been accurate. Note it's only the fronts.

Standard 457bhp C63, 2008>. Has a solid steel, cast disc. Drilled and vented. These are very reasonably priced. The rears are the same construction only smaller.

The 2008/9 Performance Pack (not Plus) cars had proper 2 piece discs. An aluminium floating bell which bolts to a steel rotor. The rotor is drilled and grooved. Rears remain the same as standard car. The bell is black which makes it easy to spot:

The 2010> Performane Pack Plus, DR520, 507 and Black Series (by the looks of google results) have a composite cast disc. This has a cast aluminium bell with a steel rotor. But, it's a one piece construction thanks to cast arms which fuse the two parts together: The disc is grey / silver all over. Again, rears remain the same as the standard car:

Eddie

The black series has the discs with the aluminium bell.

The black series has the discs with the aluminium bell.

Which one? The floating bell or the cast bell? Google shows Black Series with the same discs as the PPP and 507. Cast Ali/Steel composite, not bolted 2 piece.

That 2nd pic down is the discs fitted to my neighbours 62 plate PPP

That's a bit odd. It should have the ones in the 3rd pic. Did he fit them himself?

StuartK said:
That 2nd pic down is the discs fitted to my neighbours 62 plate PPP

That means the original post must be wrong then.

I wonder if the PP or PPP discs are interchangeable then?

Anybody else got anything different?

Oh Jees, here we go. All PPP cars including 507, DR520 & Black Series have the discs from the third pic shown with red calipers.

If StuartK's neighbour has something different on his PPP car then they are not factory spec.

S

Having just looked up Black Series cars I have found both types of disc on the car. Some with the bolted bell and some with the composite cast. Confusing.

As for the PPP cars. I've yet to see one with anything other than the cast composite disc, unless of course its got an aftermarket kit.

Simon_M said:
Oh Jees, here we go. All PPP cars including 507, DR520 & Black Series have the discs from the third pic shown with red calipers. If StuartK's neighbour has something different on his PPP car then they are not factory spec. S
Confusing !

Added confusion. It may have been an option on the BS for all i know:

My c63 bs has the two piece discs with the bolts.

I have seen quite a few c63 bs and they all have the same two piece discs, that red one in the picture above looks like a picture from the launch press release.

My c63 bs has the two piece discs with the bolts.

I have seen quite a few c63 bs and they all have the same two piece discs, that red one in the picture above looks like a picture from the launch press release.

Fair enough, you own one so you are likely to be right. I will adjust the first post until told otherwise.

Can't edit first post apparently. lol

That's a bit odd. It should have the ones in the 3rd pic. Did he fit them himself?

No that's what's thrown me. They must have been original as his car had only done 16k when he bought it

No that's what's thrown me. They must have been original as his car had only done 16k when he bought it

Did he buy it from a dealer or an indy? Is it possible a dealer refitted the worn original discs with the 2 piece? PPP discs can last less than 20k with normal use.
I sold my last PPP with 30k miles and that was on it's 2nd set.

PPP cars had the same discs as my bs -

AMG high-performance braking system featuring composite technology

The Performance Package Plus braking system has been adapted to the enhanced driving dynamics. A new AMG high-performance braking system ensures greater stability when driving dynamically, with compound brake discs on the front axle and red painted brake callipers all round showing the AMG logo. The brake discs feature a composite design and are connected to an aluminium bowl to avoid temperature peaks. The connection between the disc and bowl is new: instead of the usual screw connection, the aluminium bowl is now connected to the brake disc via cast-in arms. The advantage is more homogenous temperature distribution on the brake disc.

PPP cars had the same discs as my bs -

AMG high-performance braking system featuring composite technology

The Performance Package Plus braking system has been adapted to the enhanced driving dynamics. A new AMG high-performance braking system ensures greater stability when driving dynamically, with compound brake discs on the front axle and red painted brake callipers all round showing the AMG logo. The brake discs feature a composite design and are connected to an aluminium bowl to avoid temperature peaks. The connection between the disc and bowl is new: instead of the usual screw connection, the aluminium bowl is now connected to the brake disc via cast-in arms. The advantage is more homogenous temperature distribution on the brake disc.

??? The text shows this disc:

Don, this is the black series disc:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom