C63 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like it needs to be done. When I am looking how frequently should the oil have been changed etc as maintenance seems to be a major help in prevention of the expensive repairs.

Dont know much about the w204 c63 but I am in the same work position and pulled the trigger on a w219 CLS55 AMG with no regrets... Do it!!!

Sounds like it needs to be done. When I am looking how frequently should the oil have been changed etc as maintenance seems to be a major help in prevention of the expensive repairs.
The recommended service interval is every 12 months, ideally no more than 12 months and 12,000 miles between services.

If you get enough post count pm me. otherwise GLWS.

Thanks for the article that seems to be suggesting the ppp cars are less prone to top end wear is that correct.

Thanks for the article that seems to be suggesting the ppp cars are less prone to top end wear is that correct.
No. PPP gets forged pistons and conrods plus a lighter crankshaft but none of those are problem items and they're not needed to safely run a simple remap up to circa 510bhp because that's what the engine produces naturally when it's not throttled by Mercedes for being in a C Class.

The top end is all the same. However, the SLS got coated tappets and the Black Series got fully coated tappets. These wear better as they are more 'slippery'. You can fit these parts to any M156 or M159.

I believe that engines later engines generally are less prone to top end wear. Failure was never a common problem, but it does happen. Even regular maintenance doesn't avoid it, and it's not necessarily mileage dependent.

I'm a bit fussy (quiet at the back) and so I had the top end stripped down by Mercedes themselves to make sure it was all spot on, and they found it was in fine fettle except for wear on one specific camshaft lobe and the corresponding bucket/tappet.

It was strange that just one lobe/bucket was showing signs of wear, and the rest were all OK, however as Mercedes couldn't tell me why or how it was so localised, I just had them all replaced whilst the heads were out.

Some engines had effectively the same work done as a warranty repair when mileages were surprisingly low, even below 40,000 miles. Mine had done more than 100,000 miles over 12 years and you'd never have guessed that that cam/bucket was worn from driving her.

I would seek out a car with the best possible service history, and if it's pre-facelift then I would find one which has had the upgraded top-end parts, either as a repair or as preventative maintenance.

If something has failed then you'll hear/feel it, but it's just steadily wearing you'll have no idea until eventually something fails. The only way to be reasonably confident without removing the heads is to buy a car with the upgraded bits from the factory or retrofitted later.

A top end engine strip down at a main dealer WOW!.....

Surprised they even know how lol - must be rare for someone to ask / need it.

How is your search going Stu ? I noticed you have a 340i and the work front sounds similar to me so watching this thread with interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom