C63 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu101

Car
340i
Afternoon all

with the current situation and our company looking in the future to only have us in one or two days a week I am looking to scratch the amg itch I have always had a get a w204 c63. I have been doing some research on the forums and i was wondering how common issues are with the following:

1) cams and lifter
2) injectors going bad
3) cam adjustors

I am looking to go for a 2012-2014 with a budget of around 25k so hopefully fairly low miles.

is there anything else I need to look at when buying know the ppp brakes are expensive of the car has this and the lsd is desirable I’m more concerned with future relaibility.

Thanks all and have a great weekend

Stu

They will probably all need doing at some point. Don't get too hung up on mileage as some of the problems are made worse by lack of use. When they sit for a while the oil drains out of the heads and it can get tappety on start up.

Mine's on just over 70k and I had all four cam adjusters done under approved used warranty. I had a slight rattle on start up. When the covers were off I got them to take some pictures and there was some wear on the lobes but not enough to warrant replacement.

Injectors is a tricky one as if they do get stuck open you're likely to bend a rod. This is not unheard of. However, a full replacement set is only a few hundred pounds so worthwhile as preventative maintenance, even at 60k miles.

They have other problems that occur more commonly like AC condenser, belt pulleys seizing, ABS sensor. To he honest it's all run of the mill stuff and the most expensive parts tend to be fine like the gearbox.

The brake discs are more expensive but you can get fully floating 2 piece Brembo discs for around £700. If you want you can run the standard iron discs as they're all the same size and the calipers are the same apart from colour.

The factory LSD is relatively rare but you can fit a torque biasing differential for around £1,500. I have a Wavetrac but Quaife is the most popular as more garages deal in them.

In short, do it now.

Thanks for the reply. What age can you get the used warranty until and can you only do it if the car is currently still under a used warranty policy. That would give good piece of mind as I am sure all the fixed for the top end related stuff is big money.

yeah definitely want to do it going from13k miles a year to closer to 6k gives the perfect excuse.
By the sound of the injectors could be worth doing straight away if it’s only a few hundred quid for piece of mind.

I bought mine from a main dealer and it came with a 2 year warranty. That was 2.5yrs ago though and just looking I can't see any main dealer, it's too old now.

There is one at main dealer but it’s coupe with a poor spec around the mark your looking for.

I've never viewed a C63 but I read quite few comments on the interweb complaining about the standard of the interior. It's often said to be very "plasticky", well below the standard of E's and CLS's and akin to a taxi.

Are these comments in any way justified?

There seems to be an awful lot of C63 saloons and estates available right now.

I disagree about the estates. On Autotrader there's only 28, compared to 109 saloons and 105 coupes.
My apologies, I meant saloons and coupes, not saloons and estates! It's been a long day at work (still here!) and I had clearly had estates on the mind, given the thread.

I’m trying to pick between a saloon and estate myself. Could do with the space of the estate for the young family but do prefer the proportions of the saloon

Afternoon all

with the current situation and our company looking in the future to only have us in one or two days a week I am looking to scratch the amg itch I have always had a get a w204 c63. I have been doing some research on the forums and i was wondering how common issues are with the following:

1) cams and lifter
2) injectors going bad
3) cam adjustors

I am looking to go for a 2012-2014 with a budget of around 25k so hopefully fairly low miles.

is there anything else I need to look at when buying know the ppp brakes are expensive of the car has this and the lsd is desirable I’m more concerned with future relaibility.

Thanks all and have a great weekend

Stu

Fyi -

Good read thanks

Just got a mb used warranty quote on a 13 plate £2850 for a year are any of the other warranty providers any good that cover these top end issues if they arise

FYI in the PH guide it says the 507 also comes with larger front brakes and six-pot calipers but in fact the 507 uses 360mm like the rest of the range and all cars had six pot calipers up front. Only the Black Series has different calipers and increased brake disc diameters by 30mm front & rear, up to 390mm & 360mm.

I agree Steve that’s big bucks to put away for repairs about £1500 would be the max I would have paid. 507 is out of budget unfortunately but good to have all the info.

Interesting the estate insurance is about 150 quid cheaper Than the saloon same price I am paying for my 340i at £650. Better than expected

Got my W204 Coupe back in Feb, Diamond White Metallic and black 19-inch AMG wheels - best thing I ever bought - facelift model and the cockpit is amazing, flat top and bottom steering wheel - those AMG seats!!! It's now done 5k since it was last serviced back in September and it's going in tomorrow for Castrol Edge Titanium 5W 40 and a new oil filter from Mercedes Gatwick as I intend to do like the others say and oil service it every 5k - it only ever gets Shell V-Power at the pumps! - Like other forum members said to me back then when I was looking around - 'do it now' and they were so right!

Last edited:
They will probably all need doing at some point. Don't get too hung up on mileage as some of the problems are made worse by lack of use. When they sit for a while the oil drains out of the heads and it can get tappety on start up.

Mine's on just over 70k and I had all four cam adjusters done under approved used warranty. I had a slight rattle on start up. When the covers were off I got them to take some pictures and there was some wear on the lobes but not enough to warrant replacement.

Injectors is a tricky one as if they do get stuck open you're likely to bend a rod. This is not unheard of. However, a full replacement set is only a few hundred pounds so worthwhile as preventative maintenance, even at 60k miles.

They have other problems that occur more commonly like AC condenser, belt pulleys seizing, ABS sensor. To he honest it's all run of the mill stuff and the most expensive parts tend to be fine like the gearbox.

The brake discs are more expensive but you can get fully floating 2 piece Brembo discs for around £700. If you want you can run the standard iron discs as they're all the same size and the calipers are the same apart from colour.

The factory LSD is relatively rare but you can fit a torque biasing differential for around £1,500. I have a Wavetrac but Quaife is the most popular as more garages deal in them.

In short, do it now.
I’ve heard the quaife diff is a good addition to the car. Had one fitted to my mk3 Focus RS and it wade quite a major difference with the added mountune stuff fitted.

W204 C63 is the last of M156 6.2l V8, German Muscle.
It has its flaws in engine design but it is also sturdy and long lasting if one maintains it well.

Stick on a supercharger, rear arch extension and one has warp speed machine on tap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom