C63 C204 clutch smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaKaToM

Car
C204 C63
Afternoon!

Ok, so I have had the C63 for a couple of weeks now and drive it daily. I’m not a fast driver andit doesn’t leave comfort mode, but occasionally I get the smell of clutch. Is this normal for this car? It’s a nice, low mileage example and I’m not ragging it,so I can only assume it’s normal, or it’s buggered.

I’ve never had a sports car before and I’m more used to motorbikes and diesels, so any advice would be gratefully received 👍🏻

Clutch is not normal on these cars. Small oil leaks are though and a common one is a cracked cam cover. Are you 100% it's clutch and not burnt oil?

It’s not something I’ve experienced or heard of as a “common/known” problem with the 7 speed MCT gearbox, as Steve84n said , oil leak from a cracked cam cover is quite common. Fingers crossed it’s nothing serious.

Don’t know, I’ll have to give it a look over. Temperatures are perfect and no warning lights, just the occasional smell of burning rubber...?

Thanks guys

clutch and brakes smell similar. seen as a c63 never came with a manual gearbox I would go out for a blast and see which brake is hotter than the others after you've stopped.

clutch and brakes smell similar. seen as a c63 never came with a manual gearbox I would go out for a blast and see which brake is hotter than the others after you've stopped.

Thanks! Are you thinking one brake could be sticking on slightly?

Burning rubber is quite different from cooking brakes or clutch.

If your unsure you need someone who does know the difference to check.

Burning rubber is quite different from cooking brakes or clutch.

If your unsure you need someone who does know the difference to check.

The smell just reminds me of when I was a kid trying to do burnouts on my scooter, but cooking the clutch...
It’s tricky because i can’t smell it all the time, just on occasion, and I can’t have anyone else in the car with me due to social distancing restrictions... 🤷🏻‍♂️

The MCT box has a clutch in it though? Not a standard manual box clutch but a clutch all the same, not known to fail or wear much though.

The smell just reminds me of when I was a kid trying to do burnouts on my scooter, but cooking the clutch...
It’s tricky because i can’t smell it all the time, just on occasion, and I can’t have anyone else in the car with me due to social distancing restrictions... 🤷🏻‍♂️

All you can do is get a garage to look at it then bud, no point guessing :)

The MCT has a wet "start-off" clutch and then a clutch pack with minimal slip for normal driving.

Would be a surprise if the smell was coming from that!

Might be a seized brake caliper or similar.

Thanks I’ll have someone have a look 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom