C63 Cam Adjuster Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R77C

Car
C63
Just thought I'd post up with a couple of videos which show the Cam Adjuster noise that my C63 was making even after only being sat for 30 minutes. For those that don't know it's the rattling noise that is heard for a couple of seconds as soon as the engine fires.

My Main Dealer confirmed that both adjusters require replacement....thank f**k for the Approved Used Warranty!!!

So, check your engines and if they're making this noise then get the car booked in if you can!

Cam Adjuster Video 1

Cam Adjuster Video 2

Hmmm so it's come back from MB and the noise remains!

I've since been told that they've only replaced the two right bank adjusters (I was lead to believe that it was both banks), so I've booked it in again next week for them to take another look. Hopefully they do the left bank as well this time and it'll solve the noise.

Hey Buddy I had the same issue, Like you also have a warranty, they replaced both sides with chains, adjusters, the cams, lifters etc were also replaced as they showed signs of wear.. they had the car for almost 3mnths in total as the list of parts they needed took so long from Germany. The total Bill was almost 12k!

Oh wow, I assume that after that the issue/noise was solved??? I just don't want the dealer to fob me off and say "oh they all just do that sir", so want to figure out a way to make them keep replacing stuff like they did with you. Any advice haha?

hey buddy, after all the work I had done its like a new engine, they do suffer with sticky lifters if the car has sat for a week or so but that will clear once the oil starts to get round, just ask them to check the wear on the cams etc, they will also have to replace the cam covet gaskets, that too is a known weak point.. Your warranty will cover all of this and they will do it, but sometimes you have to push them a little to the point that they will do it just to shut you up. I'll dig out my paperwork and give you a full list of parts buddy

That would be great, really appreciate it! Thank you!! :D

So MB have come back and said that two valves need replacing....I'm confused haha! Are there valves on the cam adjuster assembly or are they actually talking about engine valves?!!?

yes, the valves allow the oil to circulate around, but they are 1 way valves, so 1 goes up, the other goes down so to speak, I forgot they had to do the same to mine buddy, as the valve gets blocked it stops the oil getting back up to the top before it drains down.. causing the tapping noise, that's how they explained it to me... they changed the oil spec from 0w40 to 5w40, as a result the thicker oil takes longer to warm up and circulate than 0w40 this also causes that slight ticking noise on cold starts when not been run for a while but clears in a few mins when the engine warms up, many owners have changed back to 0W40 to stop it...

Ahhh I see! Yeah mine is already on 5w40, I'd read that that's the best oil for it so made sure looking back at the history when I bought it that it had been run on that throughout, which it appears to have done.

Thanks again Lee, much appreciated!

So the valves haven't fixed it, and now MB are going to change the timing chain tensioner!

I'm sure most of you don't care about this haha but I think it's still a useful running commentary on how to diagnose a similar-sounding issue.

This is a joke buddy.... they should have changed the tensioners with the chains :wallbash:

They haven't done the chain yet - just the two right bank cam adjusters, right valve cover gasket and the two valves for the right bank adjuster.

Usually its both banks cam adjusters. Might still be the left bank cam adjusters making the sound.

Yeah to be honest I'm a little annoyed that they didn't do the other bank too. But they seem to be suggesting that if the tensioner doesn't solve it then they'll look at the other side.

Question: if they're replacing the tensioner would they replace the chain too? I.e. is that the best practice or could they just do the tensioner? I plan to ask but it's not going back in until next Thurs!

Well it looks like your MB dealership is creeping up on the problem,instead of doing the whole job right at the start,a shame but at this stage you are along for the ride I suppose,just try and use the car less,and on Thursday lets hope the car is ok.

Indeed. To be fair other than a few extra trips to take the car back in I can't fault their proactive approach. They appear to want to fix it/properly diagnose it which can't be said for many other main dealers in my experience!

Well it looks like your MB dealership is creeping up on the problem,instead of doing the whole job right at the start,a shame but at this stage you are along for the ride I suppose,just try and use the car less,and on Thursday lets hope the car is ok.
No doubt the warranty repair authorisation process will require a step by step replacement.

So the timing chain tensioner didn't solve the noise, and now they're saying that "this is just a normal noise from the engine". They had a C63 Black Series on site when I arrived (stunning, had never seen one in the flesh before!!), and apparently tested it alongside the Black and said that both cars make the same noise, which makes it a "normal noise" although they commented that mine is ever so slightly louder. I obviously questioned that and said, "well how do you know that the Black Series hasn't got a problem?" and they just said that one of their senior technicians listened to the noise and "in his lengthy experience he thinks the noise is just normal for these engines".

They have offered to take a video recording of it and send it to Mercedes Technical for their opinion, which they will do today. I am going to request that if the noise is deemed by them as "normal" then they provide me with some written evidence to explain exactly what the noise is, why it happens and why it's normal.

I've tried to push for the left bank cam adjusters to be done but they aren't having any of it at the moment, prior to contacting Mercedes Technical.

Any advice on how I get them to do the left adjusters too, as clearly this isn't a normal noise for the engine...

They changed the right adjusters on the basis that they felt the noise was coming from the right bank of the engine. During the last few weeks they have commented to me that they're now unsure if it's coming from the right or the left - which is why I feel that changing the left adjusters is now a sensible thing to do.

How long have you owned the car, where did you buy it from, and which warranty do you have?

Bought from a Mercedes dealer at the end of February this year (not the dealer who is currently doing the work). I have the normal approved used 1 year AMG Warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom