C63 Cam Adjuster Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can do with my eyes closed 🙂 not much is involved, need to have a methodical approach. Have to be very careful with timing but really it can be done at home.
What you doing on Satuday, I'll drive from Scotland to London for that ;)

So I've been on youtube (dangerous I know) and it looks like the cam covers come off, spark plugs come out, rotate the engine to TDC, install the timing lock tools, front timing covers come off then the cam adjusters can come out for rebuilding - that about right?

This video shows a pin flip trick and stretching of springs. I don't recommend it, best to change out plates to the hardened ones

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once you've locked the timing with the tool, your safe to perform surgery. Timing is set by rotating the crankshaft pulley clockwise until 40 degree aligns with the mark on the engine. Once positioned, the tools simply slip on. They won't slip on if misaligned. 👍

20210824_180911.jpg20210825_141447.jpg20210825_120057.jpg20210825_161947_1.jpg20210825_121255_1.jpg20210825_161932.jpg20210825_141712.jpg20210825_141647.jpg

If the covers are open, the easiest way to identify faulty camshaft adjuster is the ones which moves 👍

Maybe a daft question - have you checked your engine oil level? From experience, my M156 is sensitive to oil level.

The culprit is the plate, which is made of softer material, so the holes where the pin seats, it eventually wears out. The only long term remedy is to replace the plate to harden one from 63motorsport and rebuild the adjuster at home. View attachment 140668
Yours didn't look too bad at all, was this preventative or were you having the rattle?

Yours didn't look too bad at all, was this preventative or were you having the rattle?
Mine was preventative, the old T55 headbolts seemed fine too when i pulled them out but have been replaced with the E14 ones. I did have rattle on start up, it was bank2 intake adjuster 🙂

Maybe a daft question - have you checked your engine oil level? From experience, my M156 is sensitive to oil level.
I think it was OK, I have 10 litres of fresh oil and a new filter on the way anyway so will observe and see what happens after that. Tempted just to get the 63 Motorsport adjuster plates kit and do them for peace of mind though. Any good guides to how to go about rebuilding the adjusters once you have them out of the engine?

Plenty on YouTube - Tasos is the man

If it aint broke....

Most important thing to learn before doing any engine work is timing. This video provides really good insight, one of my favourite tutorial videos 🙂👍

Most important thing to learn before doing any engine work is timing. This video provides really good insight, one of my favourite tutorial videos 🙂👍

That, and don’t muddle the cam adjuster plates up. Eh, wink wink 😉

Made it to Ollie’s shop first thing, but didn’t have time for the pub, sorry. Are you doing Simply Merc at Beaulieu in the summer?
Not sure buddy although got the calendar marked as a maybe. Touchwood should be going, would be nice to put a name to a face 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom