C63 Cam Adjuster Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP, if you are still unhappy when MB have completed their analysis take the car and associated MB paperwork to one of the decent Indies we all know about on here and get their opinion. In your original two videos your car doesn't sound like any C63 I've heard on start up.

Thanks, Yex. Whilst I'm sure an Indie would be able to immediately diagnose and fix the issue (I always use Indies where cars aren't in warranty), I don't see why MB would take their opinion over their own? Presumably they could just come to the conclusion that the Indie wants the work, and thus why would they trust their opinion?

Bought from a Mercedes dealer at the end of February this year (not the dealer who is currently doing the work). I have the normal approved used 1 year AMG Warranty

I've read your story and im sorry to hear the problems your facing!

Just on the point of your warranty. As far as im aware Approved Used AMG's benefit from a two year AMG AUC Warranty as standard. Most dealers aren't aware of this and as such only advertise one.

Once you purchased your car did you not get two letters from Merc with two different years of cover? I hope they didn't stop this!

Hope your car gets resolved soon. I've had some minor work with the AUC warranty however i'll stick with PCS / WG for the future!

Hi AMV, well I got a letter which said at the top that it ran for 1 year, but then in the body of the letter text it mentioned 2 years. I called up MB Warranty to clarify and they said it's a 1-year warranty.

Seperate to above I actually bought the car from an Inchcape MB dealer, who were running that special offer whereby in Years 2 and 3 they provide an Inchape "copy" of the AMG warranty. So the car is covered for 3 years in total; 1 with the AMG warranty and 2 with the Inchcape equivalent.

Also, my father recently bought a C43 from a different MB dealer (part of MB retail group infact) and his only came with a 1-year AMG warranty too.

Hi AMV, well I got a letter which said at the top that it ran for 1 year, but then in the body of the letter text it mentioned 2 years. I called up MB Warranty to clarify and they said it's a 1-year warranty.

Seperate to above I actually bought the car from an Inchcape MB dealer, who were running that special offer whereby in Years 2 and 3 they provide an Inchape "copy" of the AMG warranty. So the car is covered for 3 years in total; 1 with the AMG warranty and 2 with the Inchcape equivalent.

Also, my father recently bought a C43 from a different MB dealer (part of MB retail group infact) and his only came with a 1-year AMG warranty too.

I hope the Inchcape warranty is as good or better!

Guess Merc must have stopped the two year AUC warranty models in 2019.

Definitely something I looked into - it appears that they have mimicked the AMG warranty in terms of coverage, plus the maximum limit per claim is actually more than I paid for the car, suggesting a big job would be covered within the financial limits.

I'm not too worried given I have 3 years of warranty coverage on the car, but it's just the principle that it clearly shouldn't be making that noise and I'd rather the car was fixed.

Sounds exactly like what happened to my E500. Different engine, mine is a M278, but very similar story - I ended up with a new engine paid for by the Merc Extended Warranty. See here.

Wow, Paul. Interesting story and great ending! Mine only makes the noise on warm start-up which seems synonymous with cam adjuster rattle from what I've read where others have experienced it.

I guess the tricky thing will be getting Mercedes to admit the fault otherwise I'll get nowhere. I truly hate the "they all do that sir" attitude!!!!!!

Mercedes Technical have come back asking for some oil pressure tests to be done, which the dealer will do on Monday and report back to them.

"That sound is normal and they all do that sir. We just replaced all of those other parts because we were bored and had nothing to do in the workshop."

Hi, R77C do keep us updated please.

also what did the diagnostic cost look like initially before they replaced the cam adjusters? im sure it was all covered once they realised its a covered part but just out of curosity.

im at a point where i have the coolant/oil mixing (i suspect dreaded headbolts!) but MB need to strip engine to determine whether fault is with a warranty covered part or not. if not, need to fork out 10hour labour for strip.

Just on the point of your warranty. As far as im aware Approved Used AMG's benefit from a two year AMG AUC Warranty as standard. Most dealers aren't aware of this and as such only advertise one.

Once you purchased your car did you not get two letters from Merc with two different years of cover? I hope they didn't stop this!

Hope your car gets resolved soon. I've had some minor work with the AUC warranty however i'll stick with PCS / WG for the future!

thats what I have. 2 letters for each year. started april 2019

Reactions: AMV
Hi WhiteC63 - I didn't get charged a diagnosis cost as they just covered it with the warranty from the outset - they appeared to take the stance right from the beginning that it "shouldn't make the noise and thus wrote it all against the warranty. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Since replacing the timing chain tensioner they've been back and forth with Mercedes Milton Keynes and the car is going back into the workshop towards the end of the month for more tests to be done - as per MB HQ technical. The delay since August has been a combination of me not having the time, the dealer not having a courtesy car for 22 days and Mercedes losing some data after a technical issue which took a while to get back.

If after this they deem it to be "normal" (they being Mercedes HQ) I will request a written description of exactly what the noise is, what causes it and why it's deemed as normal.

Little update for those of you who are interested in this journey. Mercedes HQ Technical have advised the dealership to replace the cam adjusters on the left bank! So after this I'll have had both cam adjusters on each bank, some valves within each respective adjuster and the timing chain tensioner replaced under the Approved Used warranty. Fingers crossed the oil starvation noise is finally gone after all of this! Won't have the car back for at least a week, so will report back when it's done. It might have taken a while, but credit to Mercedes for continuing to persevere in solving the issue.

Little update for those of you who are interested in this journey. Mercedes HQ Technical have advised the dealership to replace the cam adjusters on the left bank! So after this I'll have had both cam adjusters on each bank, some valves within each respective adjuster and the timing chain tensioner replaced under the Approved Used warranty. Fingers crossed the oil starvation noise is finally gone after all of this! Won't have the car back for at least a week, so will report back when it's done. It might have taken a while, but credit to Mercedes for continuing to persevere in solving the issue.
Isnt your dealers closing for lockdown?

It's my understanding that service departments are allowed to stay open/functional but the sales side of the dealer is closing.

That's caused me some confusion to. I bought my C63 from Stafford Mercedes last month and it came with a 1 year Approved Warranty. I then received paperwork (welcome pack and Warranty handbook) from MB saying i have 2 years Warranty 🤔. Even now I'm confused.

Reactions: AMV
If you buy an AMG from official dealer as approved-used it comes with two years warranty. You only get one with non AMG, unless of course it’s new enough to have more left on the original three year

If you buy an AMG from official dealer as approved-used it comes with two years warranty. You only get one with non AMG, unless of course it’s new enough to have more left on the original three year
Ahh thanks for that Jobsworth 👌.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom