C63 "check engine oil level at next refueling"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay looks like it's all done. Just followed Phil's advice as it didn't quite go to plan when the engine was stone cold. 700ml or so and i think it's all good for now, not quite max but i'm sure it's fine.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 17
If Halfords have the 0W40 Mobil 1 229.5 for £18, I'll get some tomorrow; that's a bargain. Liam, I'd have used that anyway; so long as the oil is to 229.5 spec, any reputable oil, either 0w40 or 5w40, is well within the UK temperature range. It's an internal combustion engine you're dealing with, not delicate brain microsurgery...

Manufacturers' recommendations tend to favour whatever oil company's product they can get the best deal on at the time anyway, and that includes MB. I had a Yamaha FJ1200, red line 9500 rpm, with 130 bhp from 1200 cc; that would equate to about 630 bhp from your car, so a more highly-stressed engine than yours. Yamaha insisted that 10w40 was the only thing to use, but the experience of hundreds of owners' club members over millions of miles was that 20w50 was the best oil to use. Mind you, it was a very strong and durable engine; a sort of motorcycling M113, if you like.

STOP PRESS: Halfords £14.40 for one litre :eek::eek::eek: Now reduced to £14.40 :eek::eek:.

No chance...

It should be exactly 1ltr between the tabs

Warm oil temp up to 90/blue, car on flat surface, turn engine off.Wait 10-15 mins and then check level/top up

If Halfords have the 0W40 Mobil 1 229.5 for £18, I'll get some tomorrow; that's a bargain. Liam, I'd have used that anyway; so long as the oil is to 229.5 spec, any reputable oil, either 0w40 or 5w40, is well within the UK temperature range. It's an internal combustion engine you're dealing with, not delicate brain microsurgery...

Manufacturers' recommendations tend to favour whatever oil company's product they can get the best deal on at the time anyway, and that includes MB. I had a Yamaha FJ1200, red line 9500 rpm, with 130 bhp from 1200 cc; that would equate to about 630 bhp from your car, so a more highly-stressed engine than yours. Yamaha insisted that 10w40 was the only thing to use, but the experience of hundreds of owners' club members over millions of miles was that 20w50 was the best oil to use. Mind you, it was a very strong and durable engine; a sort of motorcycling M113, if you like.

STOP PRESS: Halfords £14.40 for one litre :eek::eek::eek: Now reduced to £14.40 :eek::eek:.

No chance...

Haha, i'm just paranoid mate!

It should be exactly 1ltr between the tabs

Warm oil temp up to 90/blue, car on flat surface, turn engine off.Wait 10-15 mins and then check level/top up

Just been back in the garage and put the rest in, then a quick little blast.
I still think the car is difficult to get consistent readings from so il check again first thing in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom