C63 Cracked Camshaft Cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gnasher141

Car
C350AMG Sport Plus CDI W204
F427F4BB-98A3-42DB-A241-775838D2A46D.jpeg
My 2012 C63 started smoking from rear of engine after giving it some welly. Rang Autoprotect warranty and they said to get it diagnosed at my cost then get the garage to ring the for authorisation.

I purchased a new seal set as the cover would be coming off to diagnose the problem. Turned out the camshaft cover had a crack at the rear of cover near bolt hole.

Garage rang Autoprotect for authorisation - sorry not covered as it’s not a mechanical part. Why didn’t they tell me that during first phone call, I could have saved £200 and done it myself.

Paid for new cover and 7 hours wait and job was complete - £450 crack

Has anyone else experienced this?

Maybe due to being overtorqued if it has been removed previously?

Did you sort the issue with smoke?

I know it’s common for a puff of smoke on staring, but under heavy driving sounds like something more serious?

My 2012 C63 started smoking from rear of engine after giving it some welly...

Did you sort the issue with smoke?

I know it’s common for a puff of smoke on staring, but under heavy driving sounds like something more serious?

I think the OP was referring to smoke under the bonnet resulting from oil leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold and burning-off, and not to smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Well it is.

There's a lot more C63 activity on places like Facebook groups and it comes up.

I don’t do Facebook so wouldn’t have seen anything on there.

I think the OP was referring to smoke under the bonnet resulting from oil leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold and burning-off, and not to smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Spot on, no smoke while driving, just noticed when stationary after period of higher revs.

It may be caused by over torquing of bolt?? but there is a sleeve over the bolt, probably there to prevent distortion on assembly.

To be honest I’m more pi$$ed off, by it not being covered on warranty.

A lot of warranties are basically a form of breakdown insurance ... if the car is still running and roadworthy you're not covered.

I don’t do Facebook so wouldn’t have seen anything on there.
Not my problem. You doubted it being a common issue and I confirmed it is with reference to proof. Simples.

Most likely due to the vast amounts of heat in the engine bay that they end up cracking from fatigue after expanding and shrinking so many times.

I have said it before. I shall say it again. Almost the entire Car Warranty business is run on random word/sentence generators. That spew out what you want to hear at the time of purchase, before defaulting to a back stop (often “wear & tear”) at the time you have a problem.

As for getting you to pay before they agree the repair or diagnosis??? That is very dodgy (as you sadly found out)

I wish I had a more positive song to sing here but I base this with one exception (Toyota) on personal experience with many cars over many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right, it’s not your problem. I am sure you too busy dealing with you attitude problem.

There's no helping some people, especially those who are terrible at grammar...

You started with the attitude suggesting Gavin was wrong from the tone of your reply. I tried to provide some reassurance you haven't been unlucky and you kick off. :rolleyes:

There's no helping some people, especially those who are terrible at grammar...

You started with the attitude suggesting Gavin was wrong from the tone of your reply. I tried to provide some reassurance you haven't been unlucky and you kick off. :rolleyes:

LOL

Do you know why AMG would change to plastic from Aluminium? Was there other problems with those?

I’ve read it. The ones fitted to my engine are plastic and one has cracked, so I am asking why did they change from aluminium to plastic?

Steve Says “The cam covers were changed to plastic on later cars, which don't suffer from fatigue cracks due to heavy heat cycling in the same way as aluminium.”

AMG were just following the trend.

Quite a few manufactures moved from alloy rocker covers to plastic (composite material) ones in recent years.

They offer significant weight reduction over alloy rocker covers, they are less prone to gasket leaks, and they reduce engine noise (and potentially may also be cheaper to make - I do not know).

Some manufacturers also have now oil sumps made of composite material for the same reasons.

Last edited:
AMG were just following the trend.

Quite a few manufactures moved from alloy rocker covers to plastic (composite material) ones in recent years.

They offer significant weight reduction over alloy rocker covers, they are less prone to gasket leaks, and they reduce engine noise (and potentially may also be cheaper to make - I do not know).

Some manufacturers also have now oil sumps made of composite material for the same reasons.

VAG fit plastic sumps to the 2litre turbo engine in the Golf R and S3 , a few folk have holed them quite easily :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom