C63 Cracked Camshaft Cover

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by Gnasher141, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    F427F4BB-98A3-42DB-A241-775838D2A46D.jpeg
    My 2012 C63 started smoking from rear of engine after giving it some welly. Rang Autoprotect warranty and they said to get it diagnosed at my cost then get the garage to ring the for authorisation.

I purchased a new seal set as the cover would be coming off to diagnose the problem. Turned out the camshaft cover had a crack at the rear of cover near bolt hole.

Garage rang Autoprotect for authorisation - sorry not covered as it’s not a mechanical part. Why didn’t they tell me that during first phone call, I could have saved £200 and done it myself.

Paid for new cover and 7 hours wait and job was complete - £450 crack

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. GAV105N

GAV105N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG
    Common problem on the M156

3. OP
    OP
    Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    You say that, but I searched for it, and could only find 1 post on another MB forum.

4. Steve84N

Steve84N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    Well it is.

There's a lot more C63 activity on places like Facebook groups and it comes up.

5. Lee C63

Lee C63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 (weistec supercharged)
    Maybe due to being overtorqued if it has been removed previously?

Did you sort the issue with smoke?

I know it’s common for a puff of smoke on staring, but under heavy driving sounds like something more serious?

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk

I think the OP was referring to smoke under the bonnet resulting from oil leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold and burning-off, and not to smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Lee C63 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    I don’t do Facebook so wouldn’t have seen anything on there.

Spot on, no smoke while driving, just noticed when stationary after period of higher revs.

It may be caused by over torquing of bolt?? but there is a sleeve over the bolt, probably there to prevent distortion on assembly.

To be honest I’m more pi$$ed off, by it not being covered on warranty.

8. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    A lot of warranties are basically a form of breakdown insurance ... if the car is still running and roadworthy you're not covered.

9. Steve84N

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    Not my problem. You doubted it being a common issue and I confirmed it is with reference to proof. Simples.

Most likely due to the vast amounts of heat in the engine bay that they end up cracking from fatigue after expanding and shrinking so many times.

10. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I have said it before. I shall say it again. Almost the entire Car Warranty business is run on random word/sentence generators. That spew out what you want to hear at the time of purchase, before defaulting to a back stop (often “wear & tear”) at the time you have a problem.

As for getting you to pay before they agree the repair or diagnosis??? That is very dodgy (as you sadly found out)

I wish I had a more positive song to sing here but I base this with one exception (Toyota) on personal experience with many cars over many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. John N

John N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220D 4Matic P+
    The crack looks like a design fault to me! Can you expand on the "Common problem"? And what if anything was done about it?

12. OP
    OP
    Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    Your right, it’s not your problem. I am sure you too busy dealing with you attitude problem.

BigChap and Castor79 like this.
  13. Steve84N

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    There's no helping some people, especially those who are terrible at grammar...

You started with the attitude suggesting Gavin was wrong from the tone of your reply. I tried to provide some reassurance you haven't been unlucky and you kick off. :rolleyes:

14. Steve84N

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    The cam covers were changed to plastic on later cars, which don't suffer from fatigue cracks due to heavy heat cycling in the same way as aluminium.

John N, E55BOF and merc85 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    LOL

Do you know why AMG would change to plastic from Aluminium? Was there other problems with those?

16. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Read the reply above.

E55BOF likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Gnasher141

Gnasher141 New Member

Car:
    C63 W204
    I’ve read it. The ones fitted to my engine are plastic and one has cracked, so I am asking why did they change from aluminium to plastic?

Steve Says “The cam covers were changed to plastic on later cars, which don't suffer from fatigue cracks due to heavy heat cycling in the same way as aluminium.”

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    AMG were just following the trend.

Quite a few manufactures moved from alloy rocker covers to plastic (composite material) ones in recent years.

They offer significant weight reduction over alloy rocker covers, they are less prone to gasket leaks, and they reduce engine noise (and potentially may also be cheaper to make - I do not know).

Some manufacturers also have now oil sumps made of composite material for the same reasons.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  19. Andy1a2b

Andy1a2b Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 507 Coupe
    VAG fit plastic sumps to the 2litre turbo engine in the Golf R and S3 , a few folk have holed them quite easily :(