C63 estate - creak from the headlining in the rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bazzabear

Car
2013 C63 estate
Or at least that's where it sounds like it's coming from to me in the driver's seat.

Any known culprits in this area? Obvious and easy fix I could try before I start trying to self diagnose?

I had a similar problem in one of mine, there was no way to stop it by pressing on the headlining, it was eventually pin pointed to the sunroof, the headlining had to come out to fix it, fortunately it was done under warranty, because when I saw the car in the workshop in pieces, it looked quite a big job, of course in your case it could be something else, I do hope so.

Mine was the rear grab handles in the roof and rear door seals. I fitted felt and sprayed the movement with anti creak/ rattle spray. Treated seals with SwissVax

Thanks both. I hope it isn't the sunroof then! It doesn't sound like it to me, so fingers crossed!

I will have to get someone in the back fiddling with stuff while I drive. :)

Does your car have a panoramic roof? on the e class, there is an issue where the nuts securing the bar running across the bar between the front and rear sections need to have loctite applied to the threads and have them retorqued.

if it isn't that, the creaking could come from the sunroof frame rubbing on the body panels. This might need the roof to come out and be rebonded in, which is a massive job. At least on an estate the headlining can come out via the rear tailgate without having to take the back window out!.

It could also be coming from the rear high-level brake light housing, or the rear compartment lighting controls?. I'd try removing the brake light housing and the rear lighting control panel and refit with some velour tape to prevent plastic-plastic contact.

I have exactly the same problem driving me nuts. Have tried always to fix it but failed. Its still under warranty I will get them to check the sunroof.

No panoramic sunroof. No change in sound with it, or it;s cover, open or closed.

Next time we go somewhere, I'll make my wife sit in the back and press different parts of the roof. :D

I have exactly the same problem driving me nuts. Have tried always to fix it but failed. Its still under warranty I will get them to check the sunroof.
Make sure they will do it under warranty, I had the devil of a job persuading them to do it, at first they said if it was adjustment it wouldn't be covered but when I asked what adjustments were needed inside the roof lining they eventually gave in, the mechanic working on it asked me to come in to the workshop to look at the problem with the roof lining removed and what a complex sight it was, all this was at the main dealership, very unusual.

I have the W204 C63 Estate which had quite a creak from somewhere in left rear passenger seat area, most noticeable turning into ramps and driveways. Dealer sorted it under warranty without any pushback. The worksheet said something like felt applied to B and C pillar trim and adjustment to rear passenger side door striker. Seemed to sort it but it then allowed me to hear a variety of quite minor sounds from the rear some of which I think might have something to do with that retractable rear cargo screen but which have never quite bothered me enough to want to look into sorting them out.

This one isn't particularly pronounced most of the time. Every so often it seems a lot louder for some reason - whether it's genuinely being worse, or I'm being sensitive I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom