C63 Estate - Monthly running report - Month 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just be careful out there. Not everyone is a great driver - especially in poor conditions. I find people can be less aware of those around them in poor weather as they are only concentrating on what is immediately in front of them. Don't take this the wrong way, just concerned that's all.
Thanks for the report though!

Just be careful out there. Not everyone is a great driver - especially in poor conditions. I find people can be less aware of those around them in poor weather as they are only concentrating on what is immediately in front of them. Don't take this the wrong way, just concerned that's all.
Thanks for the report though!

A very good point. Lucky I've got 451bhp & 442lbs/ft to get past them as quickly and safely as possible :D

Saw a nice C55 estate is the station too, but despite my looking over in a friendly manner, I think he felt top-trumped and decided to ignore me.

Don't be surprised, C class AMG owners aren't normally very good at interacting with other humans, though it's nice to see you seem to be quite normal... :D

ghibbett said:
I was easily getting wheelspin in a straight line in 2nd (and that's with an LSD), but the car was composed and comfortable, the lights were great and the car as a whole felt very reassuring.

Saw a nice C55 estate is the station too, but despite my looking over in a friendly manner, I think he felt top-trumped and decided to ignore me. Shame. It sounded great pulling off the forecourt too, although a lot more 'muscle car' V8 than the ripping/snarling of the C63 sound.

Pardon my ignorance but why would a LSD make a difference to the amount of wheel spin on the straight? And isn't wheel spin on one side actually more likely with these differentials as they will continue to deliver power to a wheel with no traction?

I sort of agree with seven's comments - rear wheel drive, slippery conditions and ppor visibility, you yourself notice how easy it is to lose traction and that others are taking a radically different view of the safe speed for the conditions. I wouldn't be feeling that reassured :-/

Maybe it's a London thing but if someone looks at me in a friendly way at a petrol station I tend to assume that either they are a psycho or that I have bird mess down my back. Either way it's a quick getaway. :devil:

Pardon my ignorance but why would a LSD make a difference to the amount of wheel spin on the straight? And isn't wheel spin on one side actually more likely with these differentials as they will continue to deliver power to a wheel with no traction?

An LSD limits the amount of spin either wheel can have before applying torque to the other wheel.

Hence the name, Limited Slip Differential.

An LSD is designed to limit the amount of wheelspin between the two driven wheels and is set as a percentage differential by the manufacturer, i.e. 15%, 25%, 30% slip etc.

It will not however, prevent wheelspin if both wheels let go under excessive power of say a C63 under full chat on greasy roads.

Both wheels will spin, however the LSD will keep the 'differential spin' within the preset parameters.

:thumb:

I thought they were supposed to limit the difference in rotation speed between the two wheels, not directly to do with wheel spin (though obviously limiting it in practice), so the car will if possible find traction with the non spinning wheel rather than just taking the path of least resistance and delivering all of the power to the one with no grip. Hence my comment that it could result in wheel spin in circumstances where it would not happen with a normal diff, for example on a very tight bend where there is a significant speed difference between the two wheels.

With the point about straight line wheel spins, I would have thought it was always fairly easy to get the wheels to spin in second on a C63 :bannana: nothing to do with the diff, though I can see it might make a difference if the surface underneath is uneven.

Correct Simon, however for the sake of clear explanation of how an LSD works in isolation I was keeping ESP out of it.

Don't be surprised, C class AMG owners aren't normally very good at interacting with other humans, though it's nice to see you seem to be quite normal... :D

Don't push your luck.

If you act like a troll you will get called a troll - simples.

In that instance you highlighted and this, you were trolling.

It is a most tiresome pastime you seem to have embarked on.

Last edited:
Can we have another poll?

So how did the C63 cope? Very well indeed is the answer. It's certainly very greasy on the roads, and I was easily getting wheelspin in a straight line in 2nd (and that's with an LSD), but the car was composed and comfortable, the lights were great and the car as a whole felt very reassuring.

It would be extremely interesting to have driven the same journey in a non-LSD equipped C63 to see how much difference it makes, however there's no way I would have been able to do all the doughnuts I did without one.

I'm following your write ups and enjoying reading so thanks for posting.

On the LSD I've had two C63's now one with the mechanical LSD and now this one with the electronic version and to be really honest I really cannot tell the difference between them. I can still donut in the car park with ease, I can tail out the rear at will and light up the tyres if required...:devil:
Maybe it's just that I'm a crap driver :eek: and not really able to feel it but for what i do in everyday driving it's not noticeable.
Even the 0 - 60 sprint was for me pretty good at 4.3 maybe with LSD it could be quicker, but I doubt it...

Anyhow keep it up I'm looking forward to your next peice....:thumb:

Mark

Even the 0 - 60 sprint was for me f*ckin great and one of the quickest sprints of the entire TRAX day at 4.3 maybe with LSD it could be quicker, but I doubt it...

Mark

Fixed that for you Mark :thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom