C63 Estate - Monthly running report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghibbett

Car
C63 AMG Estate
I thought I'd take the time to start and maintain a monthly running report of my C63. I appreciate it's not of interest to many, but perhaps it may help out the odd person who's looking to make the move to MB or indeed to an AMG. So here goes:

Length of ownership = 1 month
Mileage = 560
Fuel economy = 20.8mpg (20.58mpg calculated)
Faults = 'The Rattle', COMAND rattle

So now I've had the C63 for 1 month, I thought I'd write a few bits about it. Rather than talking about the engine or the noise, I thought I'd share some other observations I've made during my ownership of her.

SIZE
Sitting in the car, especially with the high dash cowl, it feels really quite a large vehicle, both in length and width. I'm not really sure why but it just does. I came from a BMW 330i (E46), which isn't much smaller, but it's just the way the car feels. You certainly sit down low in the car, more so than in the BMW, and it also feels quite wide, although I think this is down to the ridges in the bonnet giving that impression. Once underway it soon feels much more normal size-wise, however once you start any steering inputs it really shrinks itself around you.

STEERING
This really is a major attribute of the car. I haven't yet figured out how much feel filters through to the wheel, but the steering is not only very accurate and direct, but it's also very quick. In combination with the stiffness of the chassis, it gives a very quick turn-in and really contributes to the wrap-around feeling of the car. It also makes catching small slides a doddle.

GEARBOX
The balance between super-fast racy upshifts and comfort orientated easy going-ness is very good. I feel the gearbox sits in the middle; it does a great job of fast upshifts (less so on the downshifts) but also can waft around very comfortably in auto. However the gearbox can be caught out. After a bout of light throttle pootling, and at crawling speeds, the request for power (even only 25%) can catch it napping slightly. We're not talking dangerous levels of delay or anything like that, but just a noticeable lag as it takes its time to respond to the sudden change in input. I will add that this is not the normal, and only something that I've found once or twice. It can of course be completely overridden by using an alternate mode, but was just something I thought I'd point out. Overall I'm very impressed with the 'box.

LIGHTS
I'm seriously impressed with the Intelligent Light System. I never used the auto lights function on my BMW, mainly because I liked to be in control and know what it was doing, but I have yet to fault the system on the C63 with regards to which lights it deems suitable for the time and conditions. This includes the High Beam Assist which also works brilliantly. I'm very impressed with this!

FUNCTIONALITY
- The bluetooth works seamlessly at both making and receiving calls, and always instantly connects to my phone as soon as I start the car.
- The folding mirrors, whilst of limited use in narrowing the car, do give a great visual identifier that the car is locked.
- The auto-tailgate works well, but be extremely cautious of opening it when, for example, parked close to a wall or garage door; the arc the tailgate scribes takes it further rearwards that the bumper, therefore meaning it's possible to park close to an object and then have the tailgate hit said object upon auto-opening. I came within half an inch of this happening and am now super aware of it for the future.
- The MFD graphics in the instrument binnacle are very clear and attractive. One thing that annoys me is that there is no permanent temperature display. It in only on the odometer screen that it can be seen. If it could have also be incorporated into the COMAND screen, I feel that would have been better.
- Also when setting off, the display shows a seatbelt graphic which can only be cancelled by pressing OK on the wheel. Ok so this isn't a major hardship, but it is annoying nevertheless.

OTHER
- One very annoying aspect of the design is that the horizontal bumper lip is exactly that; horizontal. This means that any rainfall washes the dirt off the tailgate/rear window down onto this recess and, due to it being horizontal, it does not drain away. This leaves a dirty pool of water to collect. Not a very clever design feature!
- Another annoying aspect is the lack of a proper footrest. Yes there's a flat section to rest your left foot, but it could not only be wider but also have an aluminium treadplate covering it.
- Also I find the bonnet shut a bit ridiculous. You have to positively slam the bonnet to shut it.
- Aside from the few interior rattles (COMAND unit and the centre stack to centre console interface rattle aka 'The Rattle') the car itself feels extremely solid. I also love the fact that the key, rather than being a push-into-the-slot and then press a button type affair, is something that you actually turn to engage the starter motor. And how solid is the key in the ignition?! Wow, that feels really well engineered with absolutely zero lateral movement.

Finally the car will soon start paying me back as it'll be used for a small business venture that'll pay for a good 6 tanks of V-Power. It is an interesting venture that I cannot talk about until the non-disclosure agreement date has passed, however it'll make my car famous in that it'll be heard all over the World.

So overall I'm very happy with her. Talking of 'her', I'm still yet to think of a name. It's got to be a Germanic female name but of a more masculine nature. I know Brunhilda is already taken, so the search continues.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I have not a cat in H's chance of ever owning or leasing one of these but it sure is nice to hear about them. Good Luck in the venture.

Thanks for posting. Those rattles really can be very annoying...

K

Interesting stuff, I'm now about 380 miles into owning mine, and mpg seems to have stabilised at a solid 11.4mpg... I haven't yet managed a motorway run so will be very interested in how it pans out!

Nice write up.

On the name front How about karlotta - a German ladies name meaning man out can't get much more masculine than that!

- The auto-tailgate works well, but be extremely cautious of opening it when, for example, parked close to a wall or garage door; the arc the tailgate scribes takes it further rearwards that the bumper, therefore meaning it's possible to park close to an object and then have the tailgate hit said object upon auto-opening. I came within half an inch of this happening and am now super aware of it for the future.

Does it not have a proximity sensor to stop it if it encounters an obstacle? What happens if there's a small child standing next to the boot when you operate it?

- Also when setting off, the display shows a seatbelt graphic which can only be cancelled by pressing OK on the wheel.

What purpose does this serve?

Excellent write up, love reading your posts about your C63 :thumb:

MOCAŠ said:
Does it not have a proximity sensor to stop it if it encounters an obstacle? What happens if there's a small child standing next to the boot when you operate it?

I am pretty sure there is a sensor on my E class so would think the C would be the same.
MOCAŠ said:

I have no idea either, though it does turn itself off eventually if you leave it.

ghibbett said:
GEARBOX
The balance between super-fast racy upshifts and comfort orientated easy going-ness is very good. I feel the gearbox sits in the middle; it does a great job of fast upshifts (less so on the downshifts) but also can waft around very comfortably in auto. However the gearbox can be caught out. After a bout of light throttle pootling, and at crawling speeds, the request for power (even only 25%) can catch it napping slightly. We're not talking dangerous levels of delay or anything like that, but just a noticeable lag as it takes its time to respond to the sudden change in input. I will add that this is not the normal, and only something that I've found once or twice. It can of course be completely overridden by using an alternate mode, but was just something I thought I'd point out. Overall I'm very impressed with the 'box.

A very good read. hope you have better luck on the road than the other member who is keeping an ownership diary on his C63!

Out of interest are your comments about the standard 7G+ box or as it is a very new C63 are they now fitted with the MCT version that is on the E63 etc?

BigSilverEstate said:
A very good read. hope you have better luck on the road than the other member who is keeping an ownership diary on his C63!

Out of interest are your comments about the standard 7G+ box or as it is a very new C63 are they now fitted with the MCT version that is on the E63 etc?

New C63 is MCT equipped. It's amazing.

Simon_M said:
It tells you which of the rear seats is belted up, very handy when transporting kids.

S

Thank you - mine are both in isofix child seats so it has never said anything sensible

Nice review, and very similar to how I feel about my slk55, I've had a c180 for a week while the dealer fixed a rattle in my roof.

The c180 was ok, liked the boot opening, on the SLK you press the button and it unlocks it but it doesn't lift up automatically, it's a very heavy boot, the c-class is very light and seems to fling open, I'm not sure the arc is enough to hit anything unless you are nearly touching a wall.

I have the 7g gearbox in mine and it's plenty fast enough, definitely not slow to change up or down, can't see me going back to a manual now.

I found the seatbelt screen in the c-class annoying when getting in, surely it should sense if anyone is sitting in the back rather than showing you every time.

In the 2 c-classes I've had on loan now, this one had the comand rattle, the first one didn't.

Like you, I love the intelligent lighting system, and even the main beam assist is fantastic, thought it would be a gimmic, but very useful.

The steering on the SLK is very well weighted, the c180 I had was very light and had no feel, so it was nice to get back in mine today.

I have an issue with the way rain is dealt with around the rear too, when I open the boot its channeled to the corners into some pods collecting the water, but it comes down at such a speed that it doesn't all go in, nice thought though.

I've done 2800 miles now and the mpg is ranging from about 22-24 around town to 31 on a good run, the 4 cylinder shutoff works well, impressed with the stop start too.

If you press ok on the steering control it gets rid of the seat belt picture without waiting

Does it not have a proximity sensor to stop it if it encounters an obstacle? What happens if there's a small child standing next to the boot when you

I reversed up to the front of our caravan today and opened the boot, but it wouldn't close until I moved the car away from the caravan - I concluded there was a sensor of some sort which sensed the caravan was close, and wouldn't allow the bot to to close. Maybe the parking sensors?

Thank you to all for the kind comments :thumb:

If it does, then mine aren't working. The only reason my tailgate didn't collide with a wall was because I physically stopped it. There's quite some force in the motor to resist, but after 3 or 4 seconds it made a worrying crack sound, then the motor stopped and the boot retracted. Thinking I'd now broken it I moved the car forward and tried again, and I can happily say that despite the worrysome cracking sound, it's been operating perfectly ever since.

I have the MCT version.

If you press ok on the steering control it gets rid of the seat belt picture without waiting

Yes I'm aware of that, but I don't want to even have to press ok. I'm normally rotating the wheel to manoeuvre off my driveway and it's a bit of a faff.

I reversed up to the front of our caravan today and opened the boot, but it wouldn't close until I moved the car away from the caravan - I concluded there was a sensor of some sort which sensed the caravan was close, and wouldn't allow the bot to to close. Maybe the parking sensors?

I don't think that feature is on the C63s. Rather than testing this further, I think I'll just exercise more caution from now on!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom