C63 estate or ml63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pegit

Car
X5 40d
Hi I have been trying to decide for a week now which to buy! I was originally interested and about to buy a 2009 c63 estate then my girlfriend spotted a 2009 ML63 and said it would be more practical! Originally I wasn’t looking for practicality I just wanted a fun second weekend car that would fit the dog crate in if needed,

The C63 is bad on fuel, the ML63 is horrific on fuel. One is RWD and the other is AWD. One feels fairly chuckable and the other is a bus.

Personally, I'd go C63 estate (I have one) as I don't like the top heavy feel of an SUV.

Totally different cars!
What do you mean by practicality? Boot space? If so, the E class (E55/E63) has an enormous boot without having to compromise on handling. Personally, I don't get SUVs in most cases as, to me, estates offer everything an SUV does without the compromises... unless you need off road capability.
But I'm clearly in the minority as the roads are awash with SUVs :)

Let me add a little balance, the ML 63 AMG is a fantastic car, and really versatile car. Logic would suggest that a high revving naturally aspirated V8 wouldn’t work well in an SUV but it suits the car beautifully and gives it quite a unique character.

If you have a family then the ML 63 does make it easier to live with. The higher rear seat and larger rear door makes it easier when young using child seats, and offers more space when they’re older with longer legs than you.

The ML 63 is one of the few AMG models which can have a towbar fitted, adding to the versatility. It’s a more relaxed drive than the C 63 which combined with the extra space makes it a great for long distances, perfect to drive to the south of France.

The C63 is bad on fuel, the ML63 is horrific on fuel. One is RWD and the other is AWD. One feels fairly chuckable and the other is a bus.

Personally, I'd go C63 estate (I have one) as I don't like the top heavy feel of an SUV.

I didn't know the ML63 come in double decker armour, have you even driven or owned one to have such an opinion on the ML63.

I imagine it to be more agile and much more capable than being associated with a "bus".

Like BD has said, the comfort factor would wipe the floor with C63.

It's a car I have thought about currently.

I didn't know the ML63 come in double decker armour, have you even driven or owned one to have such an opinion on the ML63.

I imagine it to be more agile and much more capable than being associated with a "bus".

Like BD has said, the comfort factor would wipe the floor with C63.

It's a car I have thought about currently.
I don't doubt your ML63 handles better than my LDV Maxus minibus, but I'm fairly sure it won't match my E63. Just simple physics- greater mass and higher centre of gravity mean SUVs can't be expected to handle as well as estates, in general.

I'm sure the ML wins in the comfort stakes! It's just down to personal priorities and tastes. For me, I don't really see comfort as a huge priority (E class is very comfortable by my standards) and am quite happy bending over to get children in and out of cars, so the better handling of estates is a no brainer, as driving experience is top for me.

Many will disagree, and aren't we lucky to have such a range of cars to choose from, to suit all tastes/ requirements.

So, OP, I guess it's down to your priorities! If, like you said, you want a fun second car for the weekend, the C63 would win hands down in my opinion :)

@350cls once again you take things to heart if they're not in line with your view. Bus is a generic term and clearly not intended to be taken literally...

I've driven a few SUVs including a GLE and I find it less comfortable than an estate with the body roll, bobbing and bucking over bumps mid corner. It's just rubbish.

I've tried the SUV route (W163 500, W164 420 diesel).

Compared to an E-class, they don't handle, they don't corner, and they roll a lot. The difference should be even more pronounced with a C-class. You sacrifice fun for room, on road at least, if you buy an SUV, but you will get a bigger dog crate in the ML; maybe big enough for three small chihuahuas...

Hi I have been trying to decide for a week now which to buy! I was originally interested and about to buy a 2009 c63 estate then my girlfriend spotted a 2009 ML63 and said it would be more practical! Originally I wasn’t looking for practicality I just wanted a fun second weekend car that would fit the dog crate in if needed,
Drive both and decide, my vote goes to the estate let us know how you get on.

I don't doubt your ML63 handles better than my LDV Maxus minibus, but I'm fairly sure it won't match my E63. Just simple physics- greater mass and higher centre of gravity mean SUVs can't be expected to handle as well as estates, in general.

I'm sure the ML wins in the comfort stakes! It's just down to personal priorities and tastes. For me, I don't really see comfort as a huge priority (E class is very comfortable by my standards) and am quite happy bending over to get children in and out of cars, so the better handling of estates is a no brainer, as driving experience is top for me.

Many will disagree, and aren't we lucky to have such a range of cars to choose from, to suit all tastes/ requirements.

Who owns an ML 🥴 I think you have me confused with someone else!!

@350cls once again you take things to heart if they're not in line with your view. Bus is a generic term and clearly not intended to be taken literally...

I've driven a few SUVs including a GLE and I find it less comfortable than an estate with the body roll, bobbing and bucking over bumps mid corner. It's just rubbish.

Taken things to heart 🤣🤣 you crack me up.

You have made an assumption on a vehicle you haven't even driven let alone owned.

If you had onwed an ML 63 or had experience of driven one you can have an opinion. But you haven't so you Views are rather unproven to say the least.

I believe your summary is way out, stick to your little bone shaking C63 😂😉

Who owns an ML 🥴 I think you have me confused with someone else!!
Sorry, the ML you were thinking about and trying to persuade us handles well 😉

OP, I would test drive both, after Monday you should be able to take a test in both.

Having had many estates and a couple SUV over the years. Not Mercedes for that matter. Well actually I share a s211 e320 CDI which is a fantastic car to drive. The 3 series estates are rather tight for room in my experience. Where as the X5 4.8is was a really spacious vehicle. But very troublesome.

It's what you require and favour, so best to get a test in both.

Sorry, the ML you were thinking about and trying to persuade us handles well 😉

Don't have to persuade nothing, if I fancy a particular vehicle and have set my mind on a certain vehicle, then I more than likely go ahead and make a purchase.

Cars were bought long before car forums come along😉🤣🤣.

You happy with your gearbox now? 😉

Don't have to persuade nothing, if I fancy a particular vehicle and have set my mind on a certain vehicle, then I more than likely go ahead and make a purchase.

Cars were bought long before car forums come along😉🤣🤣.

You happy with your gearbox now? 😉
Totally agree, I do the same. Just you seemed rather defensive at the suggestion the ML handles like a bus, that's what i was referring to 😉

Ha, thoughts still the same on the MCT; very good box but sightly flawed!

I think the OP's dogs are going to have a hell of a ride being driven around in a big monster V8, like the ML or the C 63. I think it could be a better bet in the ML. Can they jump up that high, thinking about it, he may have to go with the smaller height vehicle of the C 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom