C63 Estate rattles. Does yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamgillett

I bought my 61 plate C63 estate in March. I knew it had a rattle in the boot area as I heard it on the test drive but it was a good deal so bought the car. The headlining in the boot rattles over bumps like wardrobe doors rattling! There are numerous other squeaks and groans in the car. I had an RS4 before and it wasn't nearly as bad. It is on 18 inch wheels so not too harsh a ride. I'm realistic enough to just enjoy the car but it does take the shine off an otherwise luxury car.
Is this just a lemon example or are others the same?
I did take it to MB and they wanted 4hrs labour (£492) to remove and refit the headliner with no guarantee it would resolve the rattle!

I had same problem with boot area although mine is coupe but problem might be same its your rear brake light rubbing check that first.

Robby122 said:
I had same problem with boot area although mine is coupe but problem might be same its your rear brake light rubbing check that first.
Rubbing on what exactly?
Thanks

Sometimes the best way is to go to a private bit of bumpy road with a mate in the back who can listen around as you drive slowly over the bumps. They can quickly locate the rattles for you.

I had a squeak from my rear window which I couldn't locate until I got my missus to drive gently up and down the road over the speed bumps with me in the back.

Also check the spare wheel with it's tools, etc as they rattle together in the plastic container/mount.

I bought my 61 plate C63 estate in March. I knew it had a rattle in the boot area as I heard it on the test drive but it was a good deal so bought the car. The headlining in the boot rattles over bumps like wardrobe doors rattling! There are numerous other squeaks and groans in the car. I had an RS4 before and it wasn't nearly as bad. It is on 18 inch wheels so not too harsh a ride. I'm realistic enough to just enjoy the car but it does take the shine off an otherwise luxury car.
Is this just a lemon example or are others the same?
I did take it to MB and they wanted 4hrs labour (£492) to remove and refit the headliner with no guarantee it would resolve the rattle!

Is it not covered under warranty? I had a similar issue with mine, dealer wanted me to pay for investigating the cause, again same as you, 4hrs labour, headliner out, no guarantee, after much discussion everything was covered under warranty, the cause was the sunroof.

fordgt40 said:
Is it not covered under warranty? I had a similar issue with mine, dealer wanted me to pay for investigating the cause, again same as you, 4hrs labour, headliner out, no guarantee, after much discussion everything was covered under warranty, the cause was the sunroof.

Alas out of warranty and MB guy very helpfully implied he'd never had a good will payment from MB UK for rattles as they are seen as wear and tear. If I was product exec for MB and saw an AMG driving around with a broom handle between boot floor and headliner to stop a rattle in a 3 yr old car I'd hold my head in shame

Did you buy it from MB dealer, if so the warranty should cover it, I had the same 'wear and tear' nonsense from the dealership, I got in touch with MB UK customer service stating that this was my 3rd C63 and if this was the way loyal customers were treated it would be my last, whether or not that had anything to do with it I don't know but all the costs were covered.

Remove the coat hooks in the rear roof and tighten the 10mm nuts on the sunroof frame.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom