C63 estate trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
I know, I know. It's in a good cause. My recent trackday has got me looking for a trackday car - but would want to tow it there.

Is it an option at all on the c63, or impossible because of the back box?

Ideally I'd want to remove it when it wasn't required!

I can always put it on the missus Golf, but she won't drive the amg so would effectively be stuck without a car. And she wouldn't like that...

Thanks

On my E63 towbars weren't homologated last time I checked (previous S212).

I think there may be an insurance issue if it's the same for C63 and you fit one.

Can you elaborate on the insurance thing please?

Thanks

Check as to whether the C63 is type approved for towing. Should show GTW on the B pillar label.
If it's not approved you won't get insurance

It's actually illegal to fit a towbar if the car doesn't have type-approval for towing. As mentioned, check for a 'gross train weight' on the VIN plate.

Yes, of course.

I expect of you fit a towbar to a car that's not been homologated (approved) for a towbar the insurance company may say it won't cough in the event of a claim.

I'd ask them what their take on it is, before proceeding.

Can you buy a C63 towbar off the shelf in the UK?

Last edited:
I checked this. The C63 is not type approved to have a tow bar, so you can't legally fit one.

That said... it was some time ago I checked this, and I can't remember how exactly I proved it to myself.

A quick google now finds some tow bar places whose products alkl say 'not AMG' - but this one at least seems to say that some of their products ARE suitable for the AMG.

https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/mak...DES&model=C-CLASS&year=2013&postcode=CW12+3RE

Or maybe it just means the AMG kit, not the actual AMG car?

As mentioned, legally it all depends on what the vehicle's VIN plate says.

Thanks all. I'll check the vin tomorrow. Interesting to see one specifically mentioning amg (tho not c63 specifically). Seems pricey - is that a typical price? Never bought one before.

That may be referring to a car fitted with the AMG body kit, not an AMG model

Yeah, looks likely to be going on the golf. Oh well :)

Suddenly had a vision of a drill deliberately going though the body work of the c63. I didn't like it.

You Sir have a fine car which will spank many a car on track! I used to hammer mine on track and be very pleased with myself passing all sorts of track specific machinery. Even the brakes take a good pasting but I would look to upgrade.

I loved that car...

S

Sort of related, in the past I have seen a Ferrari 308 GTB towing a small caravan and a Bond Bug towing a flat folding tent like trailer in matching orange.

Strangely these two sightings took place on the M5 near Bridgwater some 8 years apart. I only have photographic proof of one of them.

Thanks. I love mine too, which is exactly why I don't want to beat it on the track - immense fun though it was.
I don't think I'll be relegating it it tow car duties - but am taking measures to preserving it because I don't trust myself not to send it to an early grave!

ML63/GLE63/GLS63/GL63/G63 are the weapons of choice for towing with an AMG in the UK

Sort of related, in the past I have seen a Ferrari 308 GTB towing a small caravan and a Bond Bug towing a flat folding tent like trailer in matching orange.

Strangely these two sightings took place on the M5 near Bridgwater some 8 years apart. I only have photographic proof of one of them.

Type approval only applies to cars registered from 1st August 1998 onwards - you can fit a towbar to anything older than that without any legal issues. My SL (1997) is rated to pull 1500 kg :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom