C63 Exhaust Tips part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cawkyuk

SUPPORTER
Car
C204 C63 AMG Coupe
IMG_20200519_115742.jpg

The ends of the exhausts where the tips fit on I decided to paint the insides matt black as they get sooted up and I hate polishing.
s-l500.jpg
IMG_20200530_112344.jpg

And I painted the rest of the exhaust in high temperature aluminium paint. No photo of that sorry.
New Picture.jpg
I only did this because it looks better.

The tips returned from the platers it took approx. 3 weeks. I then bolted the tips back to the exhaust, the nuts used are nylocs but I also used Loctite on the threads as well.
IMG_20200622_164009.jpg

Exhaust and rear splitter re-fitted to the car and the fished result.
IMG_20200624_145310.jpg
IMG_20200627_103328.jpg
IMG_20200624_141031.jpg

Job done. Looks 100% better than it did.

View attachment 98486

The ends of the exhausts where the tips fit on I decided to paint the insides matt black as they get sooted up and I hate polishing.
View attachment 98487
View attachment 98488

And I painted the rest of the exhaust in high temperature aluminium paint. No photo of that sorry.
View attachment 98489

The tips returned from the platers it took approx. 3 weeks. I then bolted the tips back to the exhaust, the nuts used are nylocs but I also used Loctite on the threads as well.
View attachment 98490

View attachment 98491
View attachment 98492
View attachment 98493

Excellent write up x 2 👍😁

Props to you for doing this!

You offering your services :), saying that your a bit far from me hah.

Looks good, but be aware The active part of the Nylocks will melt and many Loctite products are designed to be separated by heat being applied. just check them from time to time.
Thanks Pete, this is what I thought so have used High Temperature Thread Lock and will be checking them regularly👍

Well done Andy, great job.
When Andy (Wing Commander) set you up for the challenge, I knew you wouldn't let it beat you.
It's a good job he has sold his 507, because I'm sure he would be knocking on your door by now.

Do the C63 tips bolt on?

I'm sure when I looked with the exhaust off they were welded on. :confused:

Well done Andy, great job.
When Andy (Wing Commander) set you up for the challenge, I knew you wouldn't let it beat you.
It's a good job he has sold his 507, because I'm sure he would be knocking on your door by now.
Thanks Rich. You are probably correct, it was a bit of a bolt out of the blue about Andy.

You are correct if you read part one of this thread you will see.👍

Thanks.
Why part 1 part 2?
I'd have seen if it had been all the same part. ;)

Must get round to polishing the rest on the E55, not going to take them off for now.

Thanks.
Why part 1 part 2?
I'd have seen if it had been all the same part. ;)

Must get round to polishing the rest on the E55, not going to take them off for now.
Yeah I think I messed up, while I was writing the post it said I had reached the maximum of 20 photos for the post.
So instead of starting a new post I started another thread, my bad:wallbash:

View attachment 98486

View attachment 98487
View attachment 98488

View attachment 98489

View attachment 98490

View attachment 98491
View attachment 98492
View attachment 98493

Looking Goooood!:banana:

Whilst the commitment is tremendous I can't help but think polishing would have been a wee bit simpler! Good looking result though and a confession, I never bother polishing my exhaust either!

Whilst the commitment is tremendous I can't help but think polishing would have been a wee bit simpler! Good looking result though and a confession, I never bother polishing my exhaust either!
Well that would have been an option but the chrome was pitted down to the stainless steel parent metal. I suppose I could have ground all the chrome off and polished the stainless steel but I think getting them re-chromed was a better idea. I will now start to polish the tips to keep them looking good👍

Paul I totally agree with you, but your tips do not look like they are pitted like mine were. I tried polishing them this did not work so hence my undertaking. I am most definitely not polishing the inside of the exhaust pipe that is why I painted them matt black:)

Cheers Andy, if you look close they are pitted on the bottom, you can’t undo neglect by previous owner, with Susan working from home I keep disappearing in to the garage and polishing as it saves doing jobs around the house 😄

I did see the first instalment, just saw this one when I’d finished work this morning, looks like a lot of work to get the tips off, so I’ll keep up the polishing as it’s easier 👍 Will you be getting to any meetings when they start again🤔 will be nice to catch up and see the mods you’ve been doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom