C63 Gearbox smoothness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesyc63

Car
C63
Hi guys ive got my first C63 (2013) so just learning their traits.

Had a few raised eyebrow moments with the car since i bought it recently with the gearbox behaviour which i'll list below - any ideas much appreciated:

1. Once when i was parked nose down on a hill i started car, put in reverse and it stalled

2. When im in C mode in traffic stationery, when i lift foot off accelerator it judders for the first couple of seconds - i know this is 2nd gear in C mode and its fine in S mode.

3. Sometimes when cod and i put it into Drive there is a slight 1-2 sec delay until the car moves

4. Sometimes when i drive to work and enter motorway as it reaches speed steadily and goes into what must be the top gear its a harsher gear change than all the other gears.

In Manual mode its perfect, and im not sure how many of these points are normal but id like some advice/reassurance if possible, thanks guys :)

I can't help on points 1-3 but when mine is cold I get a rough change from 6th to 7th which is what you seem to be describing. Only when cold though, otherwise it's just normal. Again, on a cold start; I reverse off my driveway and on very rare occasions there is a slight delay engaging forward gears - very small though. Mine is also a 2013 car like yours. Is it under warranty? - I know you can update the software on the box through the main dealer.

I ran a 2013 C63 for 2 years but didn't experience any of this. Assuming you got the usual 2 year warranty when you bought it I'd just book it in for peace of mind. I thought the gearbox was really smooth in both C and S+ on mine. Hope it isn't anything to worry about.

This sounds like a wet clutch issue. We have replaced a few now with these symptoms.

Thanks mate. I have heard about the wet clutch before from someone with judder in C from stationery. Is it a big deal to fix?

I dont have warranty on the car so dreading any possible work to be honest. (Also have a steering concern on another tread here). Freaking out a bit trying to contain my fears :)

I can't help on points 1-3 but when mine is cold I get a rough change from 6th to 7th which is what you seem to be describing. Only when cold though, otherwise it's just normal. Again, on a cold start; I reverse off my driveway and on very rare occasions there is a slight delay engaging forward gears - very small though. Mine is also a 2013 car like yours. Is it under warranty? - I know you can update the software on the box through the main dealer.

Cheers mate was wondering if a gearbox software update may help. Was hoping to find a local dealer to do it near gatwick/brighton ideally

I had a 2013 C63 that had a variety of transmission quirks. When in C under pottering around/moderate traffic speeds uptake was jerky/shuddering from standstill, or it would hold on to low gears for too long and/or abruptly bang down to a lower gear when applying only light throttle after coasting. Anyway MB did a TCU software update and the difference was obvious, including a noticeable improvement in shift speed/smoothness when in S or S+ modes. The other thing I would check is that the car has had the transmission fluid change (normally done at about 3 years I recall), and if so it may well be worth doing again particularly if there have been a few miles done since it was done.

I have c63 2012 and have experienced the symptoms 2-3 but only on a very cold day. Since my ownership I have changed the transmission fluid and filter, performed a gearbox software update and changed the diff oil. I still notice it on a very cold but only initially, so I put it down to as to be expected.

Recent c63 owner myself and only thing I’ve noticed is a slight delay mostly when first starting off.

I think for me its a mixture of a few things like going from reverse into drive and wanting to go ASAP and it delays for a second or two before pulling away, if I give it more gas it pulls away abit more hesitant.

Other than that gearbox is smooth as anything with no jerking or juddering. Driving in C gear changes go unnoticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom