C63 head bolt replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jame5

Car
RRS
I've been in the market for a c63 for a few months. Ideally looking at facelift but my budget is only stretching to the early facelifts and estates under 30k are thin on the ground. I'm tempted to look at a few pre-facelifts. Does anyone know the cost of the head bolt job?

I would assume you should be able to find one with head bolts replaced. Wasn't it an KDM ?

From what I've read it seems in the UK Mercedes haven't recalled cars for it?!

It depends which route you go down.

If you replace the bolts with ARP studs you can do it one at a time (therefore no heads coming off)....this is how i did mine.

If you use new style MB bolts then the heads have to come off and new gaskets have to be fitted.

Bearing in mind that the failures are very infrequent and its not just C63s it is all M156 engines that fall under a certain serial number.

Hope that helps

Is replacing with APR studs a diy job? I'm guessing the rear most bolts could be tricky to replace?!

Bearing in mind that the failures are very infrequent and its not just C63s it is all M156 engines that fall under a certain serial number.

Wasn't it any engine under #60658 that could be affected. I'm sure that is the number John quoted sometime back?

Is replacing with APR studs a diy job? I'm guessing the rear most bolts could be tricky to replace?!

You need special tooling to lock the camshaft. But if your competent and confident then I dare say it could be.
However, I only know of two places that have done it
One in Birmingham and the other just outside Newcastle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom